Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SMS and Keyboard themes vs. iOS 4.2.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default SMS and Keyboard themes vs. iOS 4.2.1
    I don't think I am the only one out here having this problem: SMS and Keyboard themes are not working in iOS 4.2.1. The reason being that in the directories, apple changed the names for many folders making JBers lives even harder, and now winterboard needs to see the right names to apply the theme but the developpers haven't yet an update to accommodate that.

The Directory for SMS themes is: /private/var/stash/theme.XXXxXX/"Theme name"/*1*/*2*
    *1* and *2* being the unknown name directories we need.

And for the Keyboard it is:
    /private/var/stash/theme.XXXxXX/"Theme name"/"UIImages" and/or "UISounds"
    For this I am not sure what the problem is but there must be one somewhere. Maybe apple changed what the UIImages or sound folders have to be labeled as.

I have spent the last 3 hours googling and SSHing trying to figure out the directory names. I would LOVE whoever could tell me what these changes are!

Note: When I say SSHing i mean applying different directory names i found on different sites, and forums.

Hey there.
    my iPhone 3gs is using iOS 4.2.1

and you're right.
    SMS themes & Keyboard themes don't work.

I've tried to find ways to manually customize it.
    But all efforts failed.

I too need help on 'directory and images rename' update. ):
    Sucks to be on iOS 4.2.1 T.T

What's the name for sms theme images for iOS 4.2.1? ):
    Someone please help ):

I've looking for the same thing but its always the same thing on here, keyboards dont work because they changed the file to .artwork on the system\library\frameworks\uikitframework and i've read somewhere that no one can compile the file after modding, its a big crap, and when we ask some questions or the people ignore our post or say get iacces (but u have to pay, it's a big c**p) as for the sms there are some themes that work on sms, if u want the path to sms is system\library\frameworks\messageuiframework

I've been looking and there is a way by sdk "http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1033406/iphone-keyboard-transparency" and that sucks because i dont have a mac to make a keyboard app with that code, at least would help a little bit but no answer lol...
    Last edited by Tyrany; 02-09-2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok @Tyrany are you saying that the only way to change the keyboard is via an SDK?

I see what your suggesting, but doing so would changing the keyboard or sms interface via the OS and not winterboard? the winterboard files are located in private/var/stash/theme.XXXxXX/ and when applied it takes priority over what is in the os keyboard folder.
    I'll try what you said when I get home (after I back it all up of course) and let you all know.
    Last edited by Ranafram; 02-09-2011 at 10:48 AM.

in fact you are right about winterboard, but to do that, it would be necessary the modified ..artwork

In winterboard to override the original One, but until now nobody sucessfuly made the modding :/
    Last edited by Tyrany; 02-09-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm having the same problem with status bar color changes in 4.2.1. Surely someone has figured out where to change these things.... Please help, my jailbreak mods are almost complete... for now...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok well it seems tonight that I won't have time to try this out. Too much homework plus im kind of afraid of doing this

Well I'm not sure if there is anything out there yet,I'm involved in like 4 or 5 forums and spent hours online looking for it but I could not find it out anywhere.

Lets just hope that someone finds the right directories and filenames soon

im a bit new at this and could be all wrong but here is what i see. this is for the SMS. i havent tried the keyboard yet.

its in the same area as it was before (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework) but now there seems to be 2 images of everything. one is bigger then the other. and they are also named something else.

the names are
    Balloon_1@2X~iphone.png
    Balloon_1~iphone.png
    Balloon_2@2X~iphone.png
    Balloon_2~iphone.png

now i tried to replace both with the same image as one i got from an image pack and this is how it turns out. my guess is one is bigger then the other so youll need 2 files for this

update, i think i figure this out. this is what is in the directory as mentionned above

Balloon_1@2X~iphone.png
    Balloon_1~iphone.png
    Balloon_2@2X~iphone.png
    Balloon_2~iphone.png

replace the images with the ones of the color you want and delete the @2x files. so now we are left with this

Balloon_1~iphone.png
    Balloon_2~iphone.png

and this is what i now have.
    Last edited by gabbygenier; 02-14-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

@Gabby, the problem isn't text bubbles, it's the background. Text bubbles are easily replaced via the method you posted. But I can't find the background image file.

Has anyone been able to find the file for the background yet?

ahhh. sorry my bad, didnt realize that.

i never put a background on mine before 4.2.

off topic but i did notice that when reaplying my theme that i had before, the dock didnt follow. i guess its for the same reason. apple changed the directories and names of things to make life difficult for us haha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gabbygenier For This Useful Post:

jarniella (02-15-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

For me my SMS background works when I put the .png file in the main directory (meaning top menu of theme) and calling it SMSBackground.png

Quote Originally Posted by gabbygenier View Post
    ahhh. sorry my bad, didnt realize that.

i never put a background on mine before 4.2.

off topic but i did notice that when reaplying my theme that i had before, the dock didnt follow. i guess its for the same reason. apple changed the directories and names of things to make life difficult for us haha.
    would you mind sharing the png's? i like the colors. i sent you a provate message with my e-mail. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iJay17 View Post
    Hey there.
    my iPhone 3gs is using iOS 4.2.1

and you're right.
    SMS themes & Keyboard themes don't work.

I've tried to find ways to manually customize it.
    But all efforts failed.

I too need help on 'directory and images rename' update. ):
    Sucks to be on iOS 4.2.1 T.T

What's the name for sms theme images for iOS 4.2.1? ):
    Someone please help ):
    for the sms balloons to change colour, u have to change the name to Balloon_1~iphone.png and Balloon_2~iphone.png running on ios 4.2.1.

hey there is now the option to change the keyboard from cydia ...just install colorkeyboard ...it works great

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

-img_0064.png