+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: basically porting mobile hotspot ios4.3 feature to 4.1:D

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
i had ios4.3b2 and then i took off 2 things..which were probly wrong places of what i really need.. just stuff that says wireless modem.. they r on my ios
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default basically porting mobile hotspot ios4.3 feature to 4.1:D
    i had ios4.3b2 and then i took off 2 things..which were probly wrong places of what i really need.. just stuff that says wireless modem.. they r on my ios 4.1 iphone 4 now. what works is it shows up as mobile hotspot and u can select it.. and u can turn it on with a tethering bill or tetherme. but if u hit the password box it crashes and when its on it just turns on as the tethering not mobile hotspot.. if any1 wants to help or sumin then please cuz it wud b cool for 4.1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails basically porting mobile hotspot ios4.3 feature to 4.1:D-img_0003.png   basically porting mobile hotspot ios4.3 feature to 4.1:D-img_0002.png  

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

looks to me like the same issue we had with video recording.. its looking for something that isn't there, and crashing cause it couldn't find it.. What we need to do here is find what files and extensions personal hotspot uses and it should work..

changing strings in plists wont work unless you have the extensions to back it up..
    Last edited by macfan406; 01-28-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ya i no.. im putting all the frameworks,privateframeworks,accessibilitybundles and more onto my comp to put on 4.1 and see wat happens haha

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I know this may not help much, but here's some observations form my own tinkering around.

There's a lot of things that are changed between 4.1 and 4.2.6/4.3 w.r.t. how Tethering/Hotspot is managed/enabled and shown on screen.

From what I can tell unsuccessfully attempting to do the same thing using 4.2.6/VZW iPhone4 files on a 4.2.1 3GS, the following items are modified or updated to work with the new HotSpot feature:
    SpringBoard's localizable.string and the language files it sends strings to
    WifiManager.bundle found in SystemConfiguration
    Preferences binary and its plists
    All of the WirelessModem and USBInternetSharing frameworks and related files

There may be more files too, but I kinda got tired and too busy to tinker with my primary phone's WiFi and Wirelessmodem files to attempt enabling HotSpot.

It seems to me the most important item possibly responsible for enabling/managing the Wifi HotSpot feature is WifiManager, as that normally interacts with the WiFi chip as far as connecting to networks, enabling WiFI reception, and the like.

The major problems I see:
    1) the 4.2.6 and 4.3 binaries (preferences, wifimanager, etc) seem to only work on their respective firmware branches (4.2.x or 4.3). So it may not be likely that someone with an iPhone on 4.1 or below could enable HotSpot using filemods, and they may have to resort to using MyWi.
    2) These filemods may not even work on anything but an iPhone 4, as the 4.3 betas apparently don't enable Wifi tethering on a 3GS (go figure), and the WifiManager on 4.2.6 completely disables wifi on a 3GS (i.e. disappears from preferences, can't be enabled with launchctl, SBPrefs, etc).
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave