Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: This may be asking too much...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default This may be asking too much...
    So here's my situation:

I'm using tethered jailbroken iPhone 4 on 4.2.1. I have no SIM card and am not planning on using a carrier of any kind. My plan is to get a wifi hotspot (the iSpot through the company CLEAR, $25/mo unlimited 4G data), and then by having a constant wifi connection through that, my VoIP app Line2 will always work as my phone and text (unlimited US calling and texting for $50/6mo).

My question is, would it be at all possible to trick the iPhone into thinking that Line2 is my default phone? I have no use for the official Apple Phone app since I won't be using any kind of cell phone company with the phone. I may be asking way too much because I'm pretty much a noob and my limited dev/hack/code skills will probably prevent me from being able to figure out or perform the necessary mods to accomplish this, but I thought I would ask. Has anyone tried or done anything like this? Is this even possible?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Brevig

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dude, when you jailbkreak, there's an app for everything and anything. There's tons of tethering apps, and I can think of a couple I remember off the top of my head which allow you to create multiple lines on your phone. I might be wrong about that though. But yeah, I think what you're looking for is possible, just hang on, and let the smart people come in and reply, and i'm sure you'll have it worked out. Good luck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I also have Line2 and iP4 (4.1 JB) The biggest thing I would like to see is a tweak to Dial Via XXvoip dialerXX so I can set Line2 to be my default dialer.
    For now, when I use Google or Yellow pages or click on a link, I have to redial that number in Line2 app for it to call out.

At least you can access the iP contact list within the app.

I have a similar tweak "Navigate with TomTom" that sits inside Google Maps. When I have a point on the map from a search, I can click on NWTT button and it opens TomTom and sets the destination automagically. Pretty Cool.
    Now, if someone would just do that with the phone app - to call with XXX voip dialer - that would be awesome.
    On a side note - is your hotspot GSM or CDMA? If it is GSM, thought about trimming the SIM, putting it in the iP and setting the APN settings to 'broadband'?
    Later
    Rick

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, I'm with you on the desire to set Line2 as my default dialer. It's not too big of an inconvenience to have to dial the number, but it would be a very nice tweak to be able to dial via VoIP dialer. Hopefully we will get that soon.

What do you mean by "access the iP contact list within the app"?

My hotspot is with the relatively new CLEAR Network. I'm not sure whether it is GSM or CDMA, but since it does not have a SIM, I am assuming it's CDMA. That is a good idea though. I would be interested in finding out if that would work for anyone who does have a GSM hotspot.

Hm, GV Phone Extensions functions rather like Navigate With TomTom - anytime you tap a number anywhere (contacts or Maps or web etc), it will let you call with Google Voice instead. One of the options is the Callback option, but I don't know if you can customize the number that gets called back. If you can, you could set it to your Line2 number. Then the process would be: you tap the number, select the "call back" option, Google calls back to your Line2 number which you pick up on your phone, then Google calls the other person and connects the two.

It would be a really wonky system and would rely on a combination of Google Voice for the call setup and Line 2 for the actual call data, but as far as I know GV Phone Extensions is the only type of tweak like this that actually reroutes external calls to a third-party service.

EDIT: Even if this worked, I don't know which number would appear on the receiving end.