+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I broke my calculator

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Can anyone help me out with a problem I am having...? I was messing around with my theme for my calculator, basically what I did was ssh into my iPhone
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I broke my calculator
    Can anyone help me out with a problem I am having...? I was messing around with my theme for my calculator, basically what I did was ssh into my iPhone 4 using i-FunBox and took the calculator.app file out of the Applications(system) folder and made a backup on my desktop, I then deleted it and put the file I have made in to replace it. I resprung my phone and my calculator app was gone, I thought no problem I will just put the backup where it was and all will be fine. When I reprung again the app came back but when I open it, it just closes right away and wont ever open. I am not sure what I did to screw this up but something isnt right. Can anyone offer some advice, possibly send me a copy of their calculator.app file or something? Any advice is greatly appreciated, I use my calculator daily and it would suck to have to restore my phone and reinstall everything. I am using an iPhone 4 on fw 4.1.

I have also tried taking the calculator.app file from my iPhone 3g and putting it on my iPhone 4 and that also didnt work.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Restore. Messing with the phone's stock apps (such as removing them, deleting them, editing them, etc) will break them. Even a simple icon change will break it because it is a stock app. Restoring is the only way to fix it.

Edit: this means even backing it up and putting the original back in won't work. Also means someone with the same device and sends you a copy of the original won't work.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 11-08-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Before you restore check the permissions first. You just may need to set them properly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

TGrill (11-09-2010)

Thanks

Huh...that's true let me know how that goes. It might only apply to the App Store. I know that one can't ever be fixed without a restore.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

TGrill (11-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Before you restore check the permissions first. You just may need to set them properly.
    how do i set the permissions?

Thanks

Right-click the app and I think it's "properties". Can't remember off the top of my head. Then set the permissions below. I don't know what the permission is supposed to be, check the other stock apps such as the app store or clock and change the permission for your calculator to whatever the other apps are.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

humm i have sshd using winscp and i see the permissions now, but i checked the permissions of the app store and my phone and they are different, i have tried a couple different options for the permissions but no luck Is there a way I can backup my jailbreak and the apps I have installed so i can restore and it will just reload everything, I read about aptbackup i think its called, ever tried this?

Edit: Im not sure what I did but I fixed it Thanks a million!! Now that I have unbroke it do you know how I would go about applying my theme to the calc? I have made my own theme from other themes and tried creating the Folders folder and putting it in there but it didnt apply. This worked on my 3g but for some reason not on my 4
    Last edited by TGrill; 11-09-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks

Aptbackup is fine but you'll have to restore from back up to use it. You don't wanna restore from back up, it will probably bring the problem back. It might not, b/c it's gonna be fixed with the restore, but it might. You could try to restore from back up but I can't guarantee it won't bring the problem back.

Better safe than sorry and write all the jb stuff you have down so you can redownload them again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can I just replace all of the pictures in the stock calculator.app folder to change the theme of it or is this going to mess it up?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure if you mess with the actual app it will break again. You should stick to using Winterboard and creating a calculator theme for it to change it up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

humm im not sure how to create the calculator theme... I toke one from another them but I dont know how to apply it to my theme

Thanks

Basically look at the theme you downloaded and see what piece goes to what. Thats the only way you'll learn how to make the calculator theme. You can easily take an already made theme and then stick whatever you have made into it to overwrite and have your own customizations. Just make sure each file is named correctly for the theme to work right.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hum, I have found the calculator theme to be located in the Folders folder, I have found it to be there in by itself or with other files for themes. I have tried taking that folder and putting it in the same location in my theme but havent had any luck. All of the themes I seem to dl dont have calculator themes, any recommendations for a good calculator theme. Any ideas what I could try in the mean time is greatly appreciated, I will update if I have any luck. Thanks again!!

Well so far I have tried installing the following themes:

-iGlass
    -iSilk
    -iChrome
    -killsigncarbon
    -iComplete
    -iPolished
    -iGlass
    -iElegance

None of them have changed my calculator theme! I think its impossible for me lol.
    Last edited by TGrill; 11-09-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's because you're using themes that aren't made for iOS4. try finding one for iOS 4 (or specifically for 4.1 b/c it changes some things too from 4.0-4.0.2 too). If you're having trouble, ask one of the experienced themers here on MMi and see if they can help you.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puma.leaf View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you mess with the actual app it will break again. You should stick to using Winterboard and creating a calculator theme for it to change it up.
    No he will be able to replace the actual images, he went wrong because he dropped the whole folder out of his phone

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Thanks

Unfortunately he wasn't able to do that. Even changing permissions apparently didn't work.