Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes shows Memory used up in OTHER folder on iPhone

Thanks
    Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,391 Posts

Default iTunes shows Memory used / usage in OTHER folder on iPhone
    I know this has been touched on in previous posts but I think I found a/the solution!

PROBLEM: You randomly sync your iPhone with iTunes and all of a sudden your OTHER folder has a ridiculously large amount of used Memory that you can't identify.

SUSPECTED CAUSES: iTunes gliche, Rock App, Misc. Files (eg. Contacts, emails, etc., etc.)

PREVIOUS SOLUTIONS: Restore

THE FIX: I discovered (via a blog: http://nutthut.blogspot.com/ ) how to check your phone for files that are using excess memory. BTW, this just happened to a friend of mine the other day w/ an iPhone 4 and iTunes 10.0.1.

To do this on your iPhone, you need:
    -iFile
    -Mobile Terminal

From your home computer:
    -SSH program
    -Ability to gain Terminal access to iPhone

Instructions:
    Open Terminal and type:
    su (hit Return)

Password: alpine (by default) or whatever password you created (hit Return again)
    * For noobs, the password will not display while typing it in*

Now type: find . -size +100M (again, Return!)

*It is typed:
    find (space) . (space) -size (space) +100M (capital M)

This checks your phone for any files larger than 100MB. A list will be displayed to show you the location of these files to find via iFile or your SSH program. *see screenshot

At this point, common sense and some discernment should help you choose what needs to be removed BUT if you're still unsure, post a screenshot or file location in this thread and I'll try to help you out.

Once removed, REBOOT and then Sync in iTunes to confirm or unconfirm your results.

The forum I found this on had a .log file created by the Rock app that created his problem. Since Rock doesn't exist anymore, this was not relevant for my friend, but it could be for those of you that haven't removed it yet.

In my friends case, he had two iTunes Artwork files that exceeded 100MB which didn't make a lot of sense since Artwork shouldn't be that large. Also, he had TWO identical Dictionary Apps installed on his phone. I had him delete the Artwork files and one of the Dictionary Apps and it fixed the problem (but we don't exactly know which file solved the issue)!!!

Again, discerning what should be removed is a must!
    -Regarding the iTunes Artwork files, I figured that removing them couldn't hurt since he could resync his music (not remove all music and reload) and get the Artwork reinstalled.
    -For the Dictionary Apps, I had him remove one of them via iFile, remove the other Dictionary App from his Springboard- REBOOT - verify with iTunes - reinstall the Dictionary App via App Store.

That's it...hopefully Restoring won't be an option for us anymore!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -terminal-screenshot-1.png  
    Last edited by thazsar; 10-18-2010 at 12:40 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

grd069 (03-03-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Nice 

I use putty on my pc and when i open it, it asks me the log in info so I enter root and then the password I created before. however every time I write what you said " find . -size +100M" it does not bring any list. Am i doing something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I know this has been touched on in previous posts but I think I found a/the solution!

PROBLEM: You randomly sync your iPhone with iTunes and all of a sudden your OTHER folder has a ridiculously large amount of used Memory that you can't identify.

SUSPECTED CAUSES: iTunes gliche, Rock App, Misc. Files (eg. Contacts, emails, etc., etc.)

PREVIOUS SOLUTIONS: Restore

THE FIX: I discovered (via a blog: Nutty's Nut Hut ) how to check your phone for files that are using excess memory. BTW, this just happened to a friend of mine the other day w/ an iPhone 4 and iTunes 10.0.1.

To do this on your iPhone, you need:
    -iFile
    -Mobile Terminal

From your home computer:
    -SSH program
    -Ability to gain Terminal access to iPhone

Instructions:
    Open Terminal and type:
    su (hit Return)

Password: alpine (by default) or whatever password you created (hit Return again)
    * For noobs, the password will not display while typing it in*

Now type: find . -size +100M (again, Return!)

*It is typed:
    find (space) . (space) -size (space) +100M (capital M)

This checks your phone for any files larger than 100MB. A list will be displayed to show you the location of these files to find via iFile or your SSH program. *see screenshot

At this point, common sense and some discernment should help you choose what needs to be removed BUT if you're still unsure, post a screenshot or file location in this thread and I'll try to help you out.

Once removed, REBOOT and then Sync in iTunes to confirm or unconfirm your results.

The forum I found this on had a .log file created by the Rock app that created his problem. Since Rock doesn't exist anymore, this was not relevant for my friend, but it could be for those of you that haven't removed it yet.

In my friends case, he had two iTunes Artwork files that exceeded 100MB which didn't make a lot of sense since Artwork shouldn't be that large. Also, he had TWO identical Dictionary Apps installed on his phone. I had him delete the Artwork files and one of the Dictionary Apps and it fixed the problem (but we don't exactly know which file solved the issue)!!!

Again, discerning what should be removed is a must!
    -Regarding the iTunes Artwork files, I figured that removing them couldn't hurt since he could resync his music (not remove all music and reload) and get the Artwork reinstalled.
    -For the Dictionary Apps, I had him remove one of them via iFile, remove the other Dictionary App from his Springboard- REBOOT - verify with iTunes - reinstall the Dictionary App via App Store.

That's it...hopefully Restoring won't be an option for us anymore!!!

any easier way of doing this with iexplorer or just ifile? i have an 8gb iphone 3gs and 2.3gb of other... and i just restored the otherday because of an error. help would be great thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaterman665 View Post
    any easier way of doing this with iexplorer or just ifile? i have an 8gb iphone 3gs and 2.3gb of other... and i just restored the otherday because of an error. help would be great thanks.
    A new MobileTerminal was released today (I think). Use that to find out ur extra info via the instructions posted above

After finding out what is taking up your extra memory, you will use iFile or iExplorer to remove the file(s) causing the problem
    Last edited by thazsar; 06-04-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Default Delete the (other) mysterious memory consumption from iPhone
    I saw all the above methods
    Sorry to say but all are very confusing
    so I accidently and by trial found this
    Extremely simple and easy method to solve (The other Memory) issue
    I wanted to share with the community
    well here it goes

Step One : Backup your iPhone
    Step Two : Search and download iTools for iPhone free download (for PC or MAC)
    Step Three : Open itools & plug in your phone
    Step Four : Your iPhone will be detected & all details would be displayed on the left Panel
    Step Five : Click on File Sytems
    Step Six : On the right Panel click on filesystem (Jailbreak)
    Step Seven : Now is a little tedious part. you will have to right click each folder on the right panel and select properties
    You will finally find a folder with a huge file or memory. (Mine was the VAR folder). Dig into that folder deeper and find
    another folder and another untill you reach the file. Now analyze wether it is an important file, Mostly it isnt.
    Just delete that file and voila. You are done with it. (As simple as that

Screen Shot attached

Hope this helps

-screen-shot.jpg

Thanks