Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone + iPad Camera Connection Kit

Default iPhone + iPad Camera Connection Kit
    I've seen several sites talking about accessing flash media and HDDs from the iPad using the Camera Connection Kit. What I'm wondering is if its possible to access flash media on an iPhone (particularly the iPhone 3G) using the Camera Connection Kit? On Camera Connection Kit with iPad and iPhone Review Bassheadtech.com it says that the iPhone gave an error when connecting the Camera Kit, but Connect USB Flash Drive to iPad | iPhoneHeat also gives a similar error when connecting an USB drive to the iPad, but you can still access the USB drive.

My guess is the error is just Apple attempting to discourage people from trying with a jailbroken iPhone, but that the iPhone still mounts the drive. Can anyone who has the Camera Connection Kit and an iPhone try connecting an USB drive to it and see if you can access it at "/var/mnt/mount1"?

UPDATE: I went ahead and bought the Camera Connection Kit. When I plug it in my iPhone 3G, it gives the "This accessory is not supported by iPhone" message. Tried with a jump drive and with a SD card and it never gets mounted to "/var/mnt/mount1" and the "/dev" folder never gets populated with the "disk1s1" file for it.

If anyone who's good with Unix, Linux, or iPhone modding has any ideas on how to get the iPhone to mount a jump drive or SD card, please let me know.
    Last edited by lightmaster; 10-08-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Update
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

This is the exact thing I was looking for as well. Was even thinking about buying the camera connection kit to try it out, but of course it'll take apple 5 more years before they'll realize people want to use SD cards on their iphones.
    Meaning they're just milking people for millions by making them upgrade to 64gb versions when they could just install a SD reader.

Hopefully someone will be able to write an app for cydia that will let you use the connection kit on an iphone as well.

It's funnynthat u both mentioned this seeing as with IFile and a jailbroken iPad you can read off a SD card using the camera connection kit so it's very much possible it's just that no one with an iPhone or a developer wants to carry around a dongle I guess ( that's what the monkeys over at ipodtouchfans forums all told me)...

Quote Originally Posted by Destron5150 View Post
    It's funnynthat u both mentioned this seeing as with IFile and a jailbroken iPad you can read off a SD card using the camera connection kit so it's very much possible it's just that no one with an iPhone or a developer wants to carry around a dongle I guess ( that's what the monkeys over at ipodtouchfans forums all told me)...
    As I said in my update, I went ahead and bought the Camera Connection Kit and found out it doesn't work. The iPhone doesn't create the necessary /dev/disk1 node for it, so there is no way to access it without any major moding. Also, a USB stick doesn't get any power (the LED light never flashes showing something's accessing it's data). iFile only mounts it on an iPad, not an iPhone.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

I understand what you said, and I already knew about it being mounted to the ipad.. I'm just saying no one is actively attempting to make it work on an iphone.

Sorry, thought you said "jailbroken iPhone", not "jailbroken iPad".

i hear that apple will eventually make this possible...

Its going to be possible in iOS 5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e8xzqEZr5g

(as long as apple doesnt take it out in the official public release of the OS)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I bought the cck and tried it on iphone 4 with ios5 got the same error accessory not supported!
    Has there been any work on getting this to work?

Default Camera Connection Kit on iPhone / iPod Touch

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iConnectionKit For This Useful Post:

Ice_2k (03-09-2012)

Any idea when it will be released for the public?

Thanks.

Thanks

Um do you have Resupported installed?? It will take care of the accessory not supported error!

Resupported removes the "accessory not supported" message, but that's all it does. The iPhone still doesn't mount the USB device.

I am still trying to figure out how to use this on iPhone 4. Is there a tweak in Cydia for it. I am on ios 5.1.1.