Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Auto3G

Default Auto3G
    This cydia app looks very promising. It turns off 3G when the phone is off/locked and only uses 2g/edge network. When you unlock the phone it turns 3G back on so you have your normal Internet speeds.

I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what they think. $5.99 is kind of steep being a very simple app that doesn't do much. Any thoughts an or opinions on it? Thanks

+1 would also like to know.

particularly if this has any unexpected effects on anything else.

It worked great for me and I had about 30% more battery at the end of the day. A few days have passed now and it's stopped working.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn0ck View Post
    It worked great for me and I had about 30% more battery at the end of the day. A few days have passed now and it's stopped working.
    is it working now? i would like this, but yes, 5.99 is a bit steep for a seemingly simple tweak. i don't want to spend it if it's not performing consistently or the battery save is negligible. so if anyone would throw in their 2 cents, id appreciate

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuj29's Avatar
    Thanks

I used this app and yes it is very handy for saving battery on my iphone4 however can be a bit of a pain as on a few occations ive found myself waiting a while before 3g would re-activate, i.e if i was unlocking my phone to use any of the hundreds of apps that need 3g i couldnt i would have to wait and if i tryed it would dely the re-activation......

Ive heard some problems with it as others have said, killing signal (stuck in searching...), long times to switch back to 3G, etc.

There's also the big problem that if you use email and lets say its polling/pushing email and a call comes in it goes to voicemail on EDGE/2G because simultaneous data/voice is only on 3G.

Personally it may have use for some, but the cons outweigh the small battery savings. If this was such a great concept the manufacturer would have implemented it already in the OS themselves.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stulaw11 View Post
    Ive heard some problems with it as others have said, killing signal (stuck in searching...), long times to switch back to 3G, etc.

There's also the big problem that if you use email and lets say its polling/pushing email and a call comes in it goes to voicemail on EDGE/2G because simultaneous data/voice is only on 3G.

Personally it may have use for some, but the cons outweigh the small battery savings. If this was such a great concept the manufacturer would have implemented it already in the OS themselves.
    This is an accurate review. On numerous occasions I have had voice mail with no missed calls because I had mail being pushed through. There is some pretty bad delay when unlocking the phone and I haven't really noticed any battery life improvements with this.