+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Virtual Memory for iPhone 3g, 3gs, and 4

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Okay, i previously posted a thread on how to overclock the iPhone, now I'm posting one on how to install Virtual Memory for the iPhone! Here are the steps! 1:
    Thanks

Default Virtual Memory for iPhone 3g, 3gs, and 4
    Okay, i previously posted a thread on how to overclock the iPhone, now I'm posting one on how to install Virtual Memory for the iPhone! Here are the steps!

1: Open cydia and go to the manage tab

2: Click Sources

3: If you don't already, add the source "http://repo.beyoip.com/"

4: Goto the Search tab and search "iPhoneVM"

5: Install it....

6: Restart your phone, and on SBSettings, clear the ram, and you should have more!
    (It worked for me, i had 30 MB before, and after i had 80MB!)

Tell me how it goes! Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DaAwesome1 For This Useful Post:

josef mislik (08-06-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

has anyone tried this? testimonies would be appreciated

Green Apple
    Thanks

i remember this from awhile back. i think because of the fact that it uses the flash memory that holds your files and data on the phone, it rapidly gets accessed, and therefore has the potention to DRAMATICALLY reduce the life of the phone. Correct me if im wrong, someone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No, it doesn't dramatically reduce the life of the phone actually! Over the course of 5-10 years it can have it's effects though. But who plans on using their iPhone that long anyways?

There is also a .plist file you can SSH into your phone, it's said to be faster than iPhoneVM, although it doesn't increase the RAM any more than VM.
    Last edited by whatupdreww; 08-30-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whatupdreww View Post
    No, it doesn't dramatically reduce the life of the phone actually! Over the course of 5-10 years it can have it's effects though. But who plans on using their iPhone that long anyways?

There is also a .plist file you can SSH into your phone, it's said to be faster than iPhoneVM, although it doesn't increase the RAM any more than VM.
    No, that is what iPhoneVM does, it edits a plist file.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

anyone can upload - hate that repo

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

anyone try this on an iphone 4?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried on my iPhone 4 but it don't like the repo.

Banned
    Thanks

I've tried it on the iPhone 4 (4.1) but didn't really seem to do anything. The description did say something about opening apps faster but i didn't notice any change...

Thanks

SO. Is this worth trying on a 3G then?

Judging from youtube comments, everyone phone is getting stuck on the apple boot logo after installing this...
    Last edited by corkey20000; 11-13-2010 at 01:05 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

repo isn't working for me.. Is there a new one out there? many say it could be because "you are trying to add a legacy installer repository" Anyone else having these problems??

Thanks

Don't install virtual memory for your iDevice. The iPhone 4 shouldn't even need it anyways. It has enough RAM. I did install it, and it made my iTouch faster in the beginning, but it killed it afterwords. It messed up the contrast and every thing I did made it go into a flashing screen of death. I deleted it and the page files and it still wasn't working. Even after I did a full iTunes restore it was still not back to normal. About 10 days after the restore the flashing stopped. I can't really tell because I have nothing to compare with, but the contrast might still be broken. At least I don't have to deal with it now that I have a new iTouch. If you want to see more problems it has just google iTouch/iPhone virtual memory. There was even one person I read about who says nothing worked right after even 7 iTunes restores. The reason it is not in the main Cydia sources is because they took it down. I believe it was even on modmyi at one time but they realized that it caused too many problems.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Repo not found.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys, this is an old post.., but as I'm currently testing the *.plist method I thought I tell you of my observations up to now.

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 6.1, added the two files and rebooted the device... I did noticed the long hang time after it loaded the UNLOCK screen. I guess it was creating the VM file.

It works, running straight for three day up to now no problems. Apps load faster, the available memory is maintained at over 120 MB.

I've posted several questions on regards to this, maybe you can read it up by following my user name 0mega9. If you have any ideas and/or suggestions I would appreciate it.