+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Overclock iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4!

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, as far as i know, this works on iOS 4.0 - iOS 4.0.2. So, here are the instructions! 1: SSH into your iPhone and goto /private/etc and backup
    Thanks

Default How to Overclock iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4!
    Hey guys, as far as i know, this works on iOS 4.0 - iOS 4.0.2. So, here are the instructions!

1: SSH into your iPhone and goto /private/etc and backup the "fstab" file.
    2: Open up fstab in TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad.
    3: Add the following lines:
    su
    alpine (Unless you changed it to something else.)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=???000000 (Replace ??? with the MHz Ex: 600)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=???000000 (Same as above)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000 (Replace ??? with the MHz you want when the iPhone is sleeping, etc..)

Add those before:
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2

So, in the end, it'll look like this:

su
    alpine (Unless you changed it to something else.)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=???000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=???000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000

4: Reboot your iPhone!

(PS: If you try using a tool like Checkup, or something, itll say the same thing because it checks it using the model number and firmware model!)
    __________________________________________________ ________

Credits: Monsieurtalbot of SinFul iPhone

Thanks guys, tell me how it goes!
    Last edited by DaAwesome1; 08-29-2010 at 11:24 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DaAwesome1 For This Useful Post:

32dave (08-29-2010), Bluemoldycheeze88 (08-30-2010), jkmonkey (08-29-2010), NakedFaerie (08-29-2010), Orby (08-28-2010), Ranafram (02-08-2011), reuben75 (09-01-2010), thazsar (08-31-2010), vientiane (08-29-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaAwesome1 View Post
    Hey guys, as far as i know, this works on iOS 4.0 - iOS 4.0.2. So, here are the instructions!

1: SSH into your iPhone and goto /private/etc and backup the "fstab" file.
    2: Open up fstab in TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad.
    3: Add the following lines:
    su
    [your SSH password here]
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=???000000 (Replace ??? with the MHz Ex: 600)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=???000000 (Same as above)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000 (Replace ??? with the MHz you want when the iPhone is sleeping, etc..)

Add those before:

So, in the end, it'll look like this:

su
    [your SSH password here]
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=???000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=???000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000

4: Reboot your iPhone!

Credits: Monsieurtalbot of SinFul iPhone

Thanks guys, tell me how it goes!
    You, sir, totally rock.

From what I can tell (I do not have exact processor performance measurement tools for iPhones, so it's all anecdotal) my iPhone 3G (S5L8900, iOS 4.0.1) clocked to 600MHz/600MHz/50MHz is nearly on par with a 3GS (multitasking + wallpapers enabled, Backgrounder controlled).

Still a touch of lag around Safari (which I have set to not multitask period) and the Camera, but better than 3.1.3 IMO and beats the pants off of 4.0 stock. I have not been able to test the phone or SMS/MMS as I don't have a SIM for this device.

Even then, the residual lag is probably all RAM anyway which we can't mess with too much (unless somebody comes up with a way to make a pagefile, in which case we're set).

Cydia loads fully inside of 40 seconds (on Wi-Fi. ~10 MB/s with several other devices, so throughput is maybe 2MB/s).

Battery actually lasting far longer than I expected--3-4 minutes for one percent of drop as measured by SBSettings for active Wi-Fi internet browsing. Heat emissions from the device are not noticeably different from stock 4.0.

Placebo effect and anecdotal wanting to believe this working aside, I think we've got a winner here. Also worth noting this phone I'm testing on has no music or applications installed on it--will customize and test further.

I like where this is going, must say.
    Last edited by Orby; 08-28-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Tweaked instructions to make it more obvious for those that changed their SSH root passwords.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

jkmonkey (08-29-2010), MichaelSe (03-08-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It made me restore my phone so it doesn't fully work on every phone. After I replaced the file it tried to restart and blacked out again when the userland jailbreak was loading and went straight to recovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by codester3388 View Post
    It made me restore my phone so it doesn't fully work on every phone. After I replaced the file it tried to restart and blacked out again when the userland jailbreak was loading and went straight to recovery.
    Sorry to hear it doesnt work on yours. But, can you post your fstab so i can see if you did anything wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    You, sir, totally rock.

From what I can tell (I do not have exact processor performance measurement tools for iPhones, so it's all anecdotal) my iPhone 3G (S5L8900, iOS 4.0.1) clocked to 600MHz/600MHz/50MHz is nearly on par with a 3GS (multitasking + wallpapers enabled, Backgrounder controlled).

Still a touch of lag around Safari (which I have set to not multitask period) and the Camera, but better than 3.1.3 IMO and beats the pants off of 4.0 stock. I have not been able to test the phone or SMS/MMS as I don't have a SIM for this device.

Even then, the residual lag is probably all RAM anyway which we can't mess with too much (unless somebody comes up with a way to make a pagefile, in which case we're set).

Cydia loads fully inside of 40 seconds (on Wi-Fi. ~10 MB/s with several other devices, so throughput is maybe 2MB/s).

Battery actually lasting far longer than I expected--3-4 minutes for one percent of drop as measured by SBSettings for active Wi-Fi internet browsing. Heat emissions from the device are not noticeably different from stock 4.0.

Placebo effect and anecdotal wanting to believe this working aside, I think we've got a winner here. Also worth noting this phone I'm testing on has no music or applications installed on it--will customize and test further.

I like where this is going, must say.
    You're welcome! And, i know how to fix the RAM problem. I'm going to start a NEW thread about Virtual Memory. It's also going to contain a tutorial. So, i'll post the link when i'm done!

Here you guys go! The Virtual Memory Thread! Virtual Memory for iPhone 3g, 3gs, and 4
    Last edited by DaAwesome1; 08-29-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Thanks, just did the mod on my 3gs. Gonna give it a try for awhile and see how it goes. My phone booted just fine after editing fstab. It's worth noting that where it says "alpine" in your instructions you should replace that with your own password if you've changed the root password.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    Thanks, just did the mod on my 3gs. Gonna give it a try for awhile and see how it goes. My phone booted just fine after editing fstab. It's worth noting that where it says "alpine" in your instructions you should replace that with your own password if you've changed the root password.
    Okay, i'll update it!

Thanks

I went 700/700/50 on my 3GS. As orbyorb said it may be placebo, but it certainly SEEMS faster. Pre-mod cydia "loading changes" was 25 seconds. Post-mod "loading changes" is down to 7 seconds. Still too early to report on battery usage.

Thanks

ya i did the same as the 3gs has an 800 mhz processor in it my ram is always around 134Mb i did notice that when i shut down an app the ram comes back real fast

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 32dave For This Useful Post:

rjdodgeric (08-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried it but I don't know exactly how to test it. It honestly seems the same to me so far I used to look for ways to overclock the iphone but ended up giving up because every method i tried didn't work.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Evan_ For This Useful Post:

rjdodgeric (08-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey so i did this on my iphone 3g and i set it to 600/600/50 like the other guy said he did is the best most i can do for the iphone 3g? cause i dont really see a diffrence in the speed and is there a diff source for iphonevm snice beyoip.com is donw?

hey i have a question if any of you can answer it but what would be the highest i could oc my iphone 3g to
    Last edited by rjdodgeric; 08-29-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

the 3g's processor is a 600mhz but apple capps it at 412 so it should be at its top end

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 32dave For This Useful Post:

iwannamod (08-31-2010), rjdodgeric (08-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    so 600 mhz will be the highest i can go? and is there another source i can go to to get iphone vm?

Thanks

not sure i always seem to have lots of ram on both the 3g and 3gs and i read somewhere that vmware is hard on the phone but i will see if i can find it for you

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 32dave For This Useful Post:

rjdodgeric (08-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey thanks and i am just wondering r u running the native iphone backgrounind app and what other itmes ( such as sbsettings) that you are using on your 3g

Thanks

i don't know if you tried here yet but this is what i found "link removed" bad site will keep looking

i shut off the multitasking it slowed it down to much and is 246kms from me at the moment my gf has it and won't be back til the end of the month so i don't remember what all is in it
    Last edited by 32dave; 08-29-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 32dave For This Useful Post:

rjdodgeric (08-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok thanks for your help

Thanks

i made the mistake of putting that vm on my 3gs bad idea as i am now restoring the phone

Thanks

I added the file you wanted to check. I had to change the file format to txt to add it as an attachment. But the contents is what I typed to get it to work. I have a 3GS 16 GB btw.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

If this is correct, I don't use SSH
    On my 3GS iOS 3.1.2
    Look like this:

su
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=750
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=750
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=50
    /dev/disk0s2s1 /private/var hfs rw 0 2

Thanks

You need the extra zeros at the end of the 750 unless you were trying to clock it at 750Hz which the phone would probably not boot up. MHz in the millions so you need the extra zeros.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to codester3388 For This Useful Post:

vientiane (08-29-2010)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast