+ Reply
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Overclock iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4!

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Doesn't seem like it's working. downclocked my iphone 4 to 400mhz, no slowndown at all.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Doesn't seem like it's working. downclocked my iphone 4 to 400mhz, no slowndown at all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^ Yeah, it's all over other forums, it does not work ... I tryed it but wish it did ...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thnxxxx, let me try this....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just tried this with my 3gs and now im stuck with a itunes screen. . Does this mod clash with supercharged?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm kind scared to try this on my iphone 4 becuase its working fine and i dont want to restore it really... i think this fstab file is some sort os script thats run on login thats why it needs the su and then password.

link

Thanks

Just thought I'd clear this up; this does not work. It is simply changing a string value, similar to the power management.plist file we have all seen. It does t do anything as we do not have access to modify the kernel.

Don't bother with the chance of bridling you phone only to have it do nothing.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanide89 View Post
    Just thought I'd clear this up; this does not work. It is simply changing a string value, similar to the power management.plist file we have all seen. It does t do anything as we do not have access to modify the kernel.

Don't bother with the chance of bridling you phone only to have it do nothing.
    fstab is code that is run at the boot of iOS. When you modify fstab to the over/underclocked values, the system, on boot, will change the clockspeed. thats why the code has su and password in it, so it can access the root system and modify the processor values.

By the way, setting the 3G's values to the 2g touch's 525mHz should provide a good enough speed boost.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macfan406 View Post
    fstab is code that is run at the boot of iOS. When you modify fstab to the over/underclocked values, the system, on boot, will change the clockspeed. thats why the code has su and password in it, so it can access the root system and modify the processor values.

By the way, setting the 3G's values to the 2g touch's 525mHz should provide a good enough speed boost.
    fstab was never meant to control clock speed in any Linux distro AFAIK. Why Apple put clock speed into this fstab is beyond me. I can't tell you if it does or does not work, and what you said IS true, but at the same time we can't check it against anything real.

I think this is just more a check parameter. You CAN change this, but if it doesn't match the speed it's checked against elsewhere, nothing is going to change.
    Last edited by ddoolin; 09-12-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

thanks for this. I notice faster response on my 3g

Thanks

I understand this, but you would need to change more than just the one value. And logging in as root doesn't give you a access to the kernels variables for clock speed. It's accessing the directories. While I do not know much about modifying kernel per se, I do know that Apple does not allow access to CPU clock speeds upon a simple reboot. It is hardcover into the phone upon restoring or reinstalling of the os.

If it were possible, modifying the speeds from stock to a SLOWER speed should result in decreased performance. In my case, my iPhone 4 experienced no drop in performance whatsoever. I tested this in CoD zombies and load times were identical, frame rate seemed identical, syncing and network access identical. The app even responded identically.

If you can show me some deeper coding than just a simple variable change I would greatly appreciate it, as this topic peaks my interest and would be very much open to further development of a GUI for oc'ing (similar to droids).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just tried this on my iPhone 4. My values are 900/900/50. Im jailbroken on 4.0.1 with jailbreakme (of coarse). The only speed increase that seems to appear is that Cydia seems to load a lot faster... Everything else doesn't seems any different. Any other iPhone 4 stories?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meepinhiemer View Post
    Just tried this on my iPhone 4. My values are 900/900/50. Im jailbroken on 4.0.1 with jailbreakme (of coarse). The only speed increase that seems to appear is that Cydia seems to load a lot faster... Everything else doesn't seems any different. Any other iPhone 4 stories?
    That shouldn't happen. In fact with those valuesmon an iPhone 4 you should see a decrese. iPhone 4 default settings would be 1000/1000/50 (1GHz)

Thanks

That shouldn't happen. In fact with those valuesmon an iPhone 4 you should see a decrese. iPhone 4 default settings would be 1000/1000/50 (1GHz)
    No, that is false. The iPhone 4 is underclocked from 1ghz to 800mhz.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Kaospassageraren's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm..maybe that is why my iphone4 crashed cause i set it to 700/700/50..what do you think??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaospassageraren View Post
    Hmm..maybe that is why my iphone4 crashed cause i set it to 700/700/50..what do you think??
    No, underclocking should still be fine, even if this method were to actually work. But when modifying any codes you must be extremely careful to write it out exactly the way it should be. One error can cause more problems than you need.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know if putting the values to 1000/1000/50 would be bad for iPhone 4?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meepinhiemer View Post
    Does anyone know if putting the values to 1000/1000/50 would be bad for iPhone 4?
    Seeing as that is the default value for the A4 in the iPad, that should be ok, unless my iPad destroys itself within the next 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanide89 View Post
    No, that is false. The iPhone 4 is underclocked from 1ghz to 800mhz.
    Hm. I thought Apple kept the A4 in the iP4 and iPt4 the same clock speed...
    Last edited by macfan406; 09-14-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 856 Posts

I set mine at those values when I first did this tweak. My ip4 worked fine.

Since then, I reduced it to 950/950/50 but I don't have a legitimate reason for doing that!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can this be done on 3Gs 4.1 jailbroken ?

Tried;

su
    [your SSH password here]
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=700000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=700000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=500000000
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    But i had to restore which is no biggy just wanted to try

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LOGiCALX View Post
    Can this be done on 3Gs 4.1 jailbroken ?

Tried;

But i had to restore which is no biggy just wanted to try
    Unfortunately this technique doesn't work. And there is no way, as of now, to actually overclock the iPhone CPU.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast