Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Overclock iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4!

Quote Originally Posted by jbode4 View Post
    I tried this on my ipt2g and idk if it's changed , can u add instructions for iPod touches please?
    It's the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexane View Post
    Hate to break every ones bubble but this is a placebo. And heres why.

As you can see in the bold text, those are the partitions on your device where all your files are held. Possibly irrelevant to the end user, however su and sysctl are both files on the root file system ( / ).

If you want it plainly, CPU Frequency is set on boot.
    If you want it advanced, CPU Frequency is set in iBoot, iBoot hands off to the Kernel and the kernel has checks to make sure everything is A OK.

Sorry, But SiNFUL iPhone is a rubbish website for anything hacking, just a bunch of skid admins, mods etc.
    Yes, but, FStab is a file that loads on boot, and it takes terminal commands, which means, that you can run those, and it'll work.

EDIT 2: Oh and I'll think you will find SU is a file, might wanna check in /bin/ on your filesystem. iOS Doesn't run on a windows kernel, idiot.
    Lol. SU IS FROM THE UNIX KERNEL, WHICH WINDOWS RUNS ON THE DOS KERNEL, SU = Super User. Windows doesnt even have SU! So, next time, research before running your damn mouth, idiot.
    And, iOS has a Debian Kernel which is based off of unix.
    Last edited by DaAwesome1; 08-30-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

You ignored everything fstab is for, Its for mounting filesystems! FILESYSTEM = FS. For example:

/dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    partition mount dir format read write

And seriously, Did I really need you to point out what directory its mounting at? Perhaps worse then an ISP Operator treating you like you don't even know what DNS is.

I've worked on overclocking the iPhone with plenty people (Helpmy360isEMO, pwnthe2g, iH8sn0w, lilstevie) -- This theroy is wrong on so many ******* levels.

hw.cpufrequency is no longer hooked with the actual hardware, planetbeing has proven this.

EDIT:

Oh and I suppose that sysctl gets its variable readings from the model too.

EDIT 2: Oh and I'll think you will find SU is a file, might wanna check in /bin/ on your filesystem. iOS Doesn't run on a windows kernel, idiot.
    No need for name calling. I'll find my camera and post a video for you of the difference on my iPhone. Leters come as I start typing instead of 6 keystrokes later.

Su is a file you got me, but there's plenty of other files in there that are also named after unix commands. It where they are stored hence the name bin or binary.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dale2 For This Useful Post:

DaAwesome1 (08-30-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    Ah, I guess I just hadn't found the pagefile trolling through the iPhone's directories. Makes sense for it to be there...
    --
    Either I borked the fstab file (in my humble opinion, I don't think I did, as I used my working 3G one and just swapped the 6 for an 8) or the hardware is hard-coded to not go to 800 MHz but instead dump the phone into a hard recovery mode (as in auto-boot wouldn't boot it)... who knows? I won't try it again on that guy, lol.

Not surprising the battery is pretty good though, I bet Apple really overvolts the processor for stability therefore 100 MHz extra isn't that much harder on the processor...
    Did you remember to change the root password to that of the 3GS instead of the one for the 3G that you coppied the file over from?

Quote Originally Posted by vientiane View Post
    I thought, you need password if only you've installed SSH isn't it ?
    You should still need the password. The default is alpine.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 08-30-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by DaAwesome1 View Post
    It's the same thing.

Yes, but, FStab is a file that loads on boot, and it takes terminal commands, which means, that you can run those, and it'll work.

Lol. SU IS FROM THE UNIX KERNEL, WHICH WINDOWS RUNS ON THE DOS KERNEL, SU = Super User. Windows doesnt even have SU! So, next time, research before running your damn mouth, idiot.
    No no no no no! You completely missed why I said the windows kernel, it's commands are built in, unlike u ix. I also needed to know what su stood for.

You have to mount partitions before you run the commands. For example, sysctl and su are in /bin/ which is on the root partition, which when putting it before the mount it won't work, I also pointed out hw.cpufrequnecy isn't even coupled with hardware, its in iboot,

Oh and it's Darwin btw.

Thanks

A few things...

I had the root password right for the 3GS. 100% certain, I still have that fstab file locally.

The kernel in use on 4.0.x is Darwin 10.3.1.

This doesn't work. Evidence:

The lower-right terminal window is the 3G I edited fstab on. No change reported from hardware.

Shoot, I was hopeful. At this point, a fiver says that the so-called upgrade for the 3G will blow as much balls as the current 4.0 (and will also plug up the current ultrasn0w unlock to boot).

PS: Anybody have a clue as to why the iPhone 4 in the top-left window is reporting clock speeds of 0 Hz? It was obviously running at the time...

EDIT: Edited fstab 3GS and stock (but of course JB'd) iPad. Both S5L8930 devices report 0 Hz clock speeds... shenanigans?
    Last edited by Orby; 08-30-2010 at 07:30 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

It's the same thing.

off topic but, windows does have a super user
    by default its the normal admin account
    scary huh?

on topic, maybe this is too good to be true
    it was a funny coincidence my phone stopped lagging after i changed my fstab file

i edited the file on an old phone to max out at 50 mhz, only to see it boot up just fine and nothing change

one is a 3G on 4.0, one is on 4.0.1
    it definitely was not a placebo, it was the first time my phone responded fluidly in weeks
    Last edited by dale2; 08-30-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Is it safe to assume this works with the 2g also?

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    off topic but, windows does have a super user
    by default its the normal admin account
    scary huh?

on topic, maybe this is too good to be true
    it was a funny coincidence my phone stopped lagging after i changed my fstab file

i edited the file on an old phone to max out at 50 mhz, only to see it boot up just fine and nothing change

one is a 3G on 4.0, one is on 4.0.1
    it definitely was not a placebo, it was the first time my phone responded fluidly in weeks
    Windows may have a super user, but it is only an Admin, and not a command, It doesnt have control over EVERY THING on the hard drive, the SU in unix does, it could delete the system files, but the admin account can't.

No no no no no! You completely missed why I said the windows kernel, it's commands are built in, unlike u ix. I also needed to know what su stood for.

You have to mount partitions before you run the commands. For example, sysctl and su are in /bin/ which is on the root partition, which when putting it before the mount it won't work, I also pointed out hw.cpufrequnecy isn't even coupled with hardware, its in iboot,

Oh and it's Darwin btw.
    W.e Darwin, Debian, same thing d: jk. But, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    A few things...

I had the root password right for the 3GS. 100% certain, I still have that fstab file locally.

The kernel in use on 4.0.x is Darwin 10.3.1.

This doesn't work. Evidence:

The lower-right terminal window is the 3G I edited fstab on. No change reported from hardware.

Shoot, I was hopeful. At this point, a fiver says that the so-called upgrade for the 3G will blow as much balls as the current 4.0 (and will also plug up the current ultrasn0w unlock to boot).

PS: Anybody have a clue as to why the iPhone 4 in the top-left window is reporting clock speeds of 0 Hz? It was obviously running at the time...

EDIT: Edited fstab 3GS and stock (but of course JB'd) iPad. Both S5L8930 devices report 0 Hz clock speeds... shenanigans?
    Well, it seems faster, so i'm happy.
    Last edited by DaAwesome1; 08-30-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Windows may have a super user, but it is only an Admin, and not a command, It doesnt have control over EVERY THING on the hard drive, the SU in unix does, it could delete the system files, but the admin account can't.

W.e Darwin, Debian, same thing d: jk. But, oh well.

Well, it seems faster, so i'm happy.
    Exactly. it 'seems' faster. I think theres a word for that, a placebo.

You can't execute commands before they get mounted.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexane For This Useful Post:

Evan_ (08-30-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

What should the Iphone 4's frequency be? 1Ghz?

This does work. color me surprised. I am running jailbroken IOS 4.0.1, and the best test of this overclocking I have done is Tap Tap Revenge 2. Before, the screen would stall every so often when the little orbs were traveling down the screen to where I had to tap them (guitar hero style) and when it would stall, it would become inaccurate in terms of registering my finger hits, or disregard them all together. Then I did this overclock, and it runs butter smooth. No placebo affect here...

Exactly. it 'seems' faster. I think theres a word for that, a placebo.

You can't execute commands before they get mounted.
    Fine, I'll try to put it after the partitions get mounted.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DaAwesome1 For This Useful Post:

vientiane (08-31-2010)

Any difference putting the code after the mount points?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,207 Times in 1,371 Posts

Hey DaAwesome1,
    This hack ROCKS!!! I just did this on my ip4 using 800/800/050 and it's acting like it's on crank! The responsiveness is amazing; even my Home responds faster! Praises to you!

Thanks

Just did a test. I ran geekbench after a reboot on my unmodified 3GS. The total score was 275. Ran it again after doing this overclocking mod and rebooting on the same phone and the total score was 284. I went 700/700/420

EDIT: nevermind I just un did the mod and ran the benchmark again. Hit 285
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 08-31-2010 at 12:05 PM.

I see no noticeable difference on my 3G running 4.0.1 with multitasking and Backgrounds on. Keyboard still lags. Folders still lag. Boot time *may have been 5 seconds faster. Start up times for text, mail, and calendar were exactly the same (just used a stopwatch). I don't think this works for the 3G. Those with the higher end iphones may see a difference, but I didn't. Thanks for the opportunity to try it though!

how do I save the new file as a plist file on a mac? when I ssh it back to the iphone its no longer a plist file.
    Don't forget to say THANKS!

J.D.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don’t want to bash on the OP efforts and I am not too familiar with all this but there is a question that just keeps popping at me:

Q. How come there is no script line with in this file that tell/shows what the stock boot CPU speed is set to?

I mean, if you can change the phone to boot with higher frequency with this method then what is telling it to boot in the stock frequency to begin with… just a thought…

EDIT* - so in esence this over-writes the original command somewhere with in the iPhone??? :/

It is because of this that I don’t really believe that this works…

I support all efforts and mods so please don’t take this the wrong way.
    Last edited by hadzo; 08-31-2010 at 03:46 PM.

i think everyones iphone 4 is reporting 0MHz
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

Interesting posts.. Im still using iphone 3G 16g 3.0 JB on pwnage. Luckily, i was able to improve performance by deleting all daemons that were considered safe to delete. Still a slight lag but battery has improved significantly . Very interested in trying this out though.. I just dont want to have to restore. To be honest ive never had to restore unless it was to do a fresh install. I wont lose anything right? Is it safe just to try? I just dont want anything to happen thats all.. Thx.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast