Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 154

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: How to Overclock iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4!

  1. #21
    Green Apple vientiane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N4202′24″ W8817′02″
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts

    O.K I'll fix that , Thanks

  2. #22
    Green Apple 32dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Woodstock, Canada
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    let me know how it works @ 750 i was only brave enough to try 700

  3. #23
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Perris CA, Diamond bar CA
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts

    yahh i only did 700 also i want to go to 800 cuz i know the 3GS is capable 2 but i want sum one else to do it first =D

  4. #24
    Green Apple vientiane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N4202′24″ W8817′02″
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts

    I can feel it faster, using wedapanel kinda lagging a bit before.
    Now loading quicker and switching city seem to be smoother, I don't have many programs to test it.

  5. #25
    Green Apple 32dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Woodstock, Canada
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts

    ya try to stay away from the vm i had no problems untill i installed IphoneVM on the 3gs and then had to restore

  6. #26
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,754
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 633 Times in 557 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 32dave View Post
    ya try to stay away from the vm i had no problems untill i installed IphoneVM on the 3gs and then had to restore
    Well, the lack of RAM on the 3G is a serious, serious performance killer, even for the overclocked 600/600/50.

    On that 3G, SBSettings numeric battery setting behaved erratically, dropping several percentage points in a few minutes (say from 96-90) then staying at one percentage for several minutes--an average of 3-4 minutes per one percent of drop--so battery's still doing as well as normal 4.0.

    After I customized/filled that 3G (less than 50% NAND occupied, 16GB capacity) opening any app dropped RAM to ~10 MB (from 30 or so idle) and setting any multitasking caused a dramatic slowdown and clogged the RAM fully (2-6 MB left after a bit).

    That URL he posted for the repo is returning blank traceroutes... site's probably down.

    I'm not installing that VM until I see some source... or at least some better comments on its performance. Heck, any time someone tells me to add a non-default repo for a serious mod like this one, I get nervous (I'm sure MMi or Bigboss or Telesphoreo would host and sign a working pagefile program for the 3G).

    I'll set a 3GS I administrate to 800/800/50 and see what happens.

    EDIT: 800/800/50 done broke the thing--sent into Recovery Mode.
    Last edited by Orby; 08-29-2010 at 10:30 PM.

  7. #27
    Livin the iPhone Life jkmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,433
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 254 Times in 245 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by vientiane View Post
    If this is correct, I don't use SSH
    On my 3GS iOS 3.1.2
    Look like this:

    su
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=750
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=750
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=50
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2s1 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    You need your password entered in the line after su. If that's not there then this mod won't do anything

    orbyorb I'd stay away from VM mods. What they do is tell the phone to use some of it's storage space as ram. While in the surface this may seem like a good idea, but there are a few problems with it. The first is that iDevices use flash memory for storage space. Flash memory has a finite number of read/write cycles that it can go through before it fails, and it's MUCH lower than traditional hard drives. So you'd be shortening the life span of your device. The second problem is that flash memory is A LOT slower than ram. Yes you'll have more free memory available for use, but it's slower and there will be a noticeable lag. Basicly the storage memory in iDevices just isn't made for the intensive reading and writing that goes on with ram.
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 08-29-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #28
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,754
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 633 Times in 557 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    You need your password entered in the line after su. If that's not there then this mod won't do anything

    orbyorb I'd stay away from VM mods. What they do is tell the phone to use some of it's storage space as ram. While in the surface this may seem like a good idea, but there are a few problems with it. The first is that iDevices use flash memory for storage space. Flash memory has a finite number of read/write cycles that it can go through before it fails, and it's MUCH lower than traditional hard drives. So you'd be shortening the life span of your device. The second problem is that flash memory is A LOT slower than ram. Yes you'll have more free memory available for use, but it's slower and there will be a noticeable lag. Basicly the storage memory in iDevices just isn't made for the intensive reading and writing that goes on with ram.
    We'd run into the write-cycle problem, yes, but the NAND flash isn't that much slower for read/write access than traditional eDRAM (and nowhere near as painful as a traditional hard drive). Only issues are the sequential-write that's necessary with NAND, and the page size mis-match.

    Oh and the whole "how is the OS going to deal with a new, non-Apple-written pagefile" thing.

    PS: I wouldn't try that overclocking stuff on a userland-jailbroken 3GS--I think that's what did mine in (and now the owner of that device is beyond pissed at me... joy).

    EDIT: It was actually a PwnageTool jailbreak. I just wouldn't try this on a 3GS, period. Probably extra sigchecks against fstab or something. The file edits were good, I'm quite confident...
    Last edited by Orby; 08-29-2010 at 10:56 PM.

  9. #29
    iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    san antonio, tx
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    holy crap my phone booted fast! thanks so much!

    I may tone it down to 500-550
    its a bit too responsive when I'm typing lol
    maybe I'll get used to it
    Last edited by dale2; 08-30-2010 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to dale2 For This Useful Post:

    macfan406 (08-30-2010)

  11. #30
    Livin the iPhone Life jkmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,433
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 254 Times in 245 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post

    Oh and the whole "how is the OS going to deal with a new, non-Apple-written pagefile" thing.

    PS: I wouldn't try that overclocking stuff on a userland-jailbroken 3GS--I think that's what did mine in (and now the owner of that device is beyond pissed at me... joy).

    EDIT: It was actually a PwnageTool jailbreak. I just wouldn't try this on a 3GS, period. Probably extra sigchecks against fstab or something. The file edits were good, I'm quite confident...
    The page file actually is apple written. All the virtual memory mods out use apple code that's already on the phone. It just turns the page file on.

    I did the overclocking mod from this thread on my pwnagetool jailbroken 3GS. However I only did 700/700/50. I didn't brave the full 800. So far I haven't run into an issues. Even the battery has been good.

  12. #31
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,754
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 633 Times in 557 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    The page file actually is apple written. All the virtual memory mods out use apple code that's already on the phone. It just turns the page file on.

    I did the overclocking mod from this thread on my pwnagetool jailbroken 3GS. However I only did 700/700/50. I didn't brave the full 800. So far I haven't run into an issues. Even the battery has been good.
    Ah, I guess I just hadn't found the pagefile trolling through the iPhone's directories. Makes sense for it to be there...
    --
    Either I borked the fstab file (in my humble opinion, I don't think I did, as I used my working 3G one and just swapped the 6 for an 8) or the hardware is hard-coded to not go to 800 MHz but instead dump the phone into a hard recovery mode (as in auto-boot wouldn't boot it)... who knows? I won't try it again on that guy, lol.

    Not surprising the battery is pretty good though, I bet Apple really overvolts the processor for stability therefore 100 MHz extra isn't that much harder on the processor...

  13. #32
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Peters Twp, PA
    Posts
    314
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 30 Times in 27 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by dale2
    I may tone it down to 500-550
    its a bit too responsive when I'm typing lol
    maybe I'll get used to it
    no then you can feel like you're using a 3GS!

    I think this is how Apple will address the iOS 4 speed issue on 3G. Bump the processor up to 525 MHz or something.
    Last edited by macfan406; 08-30-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  14. #33
    Default ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    The page file actually is apple written. All the virtual memory mods out use apple code that's already on the phone. It just turns the page file on.

    I did the overclocking mod from this thread on my pwnagetool jailbroken 3GS. However I only did 700/700/50. I didn't brave the full 800. So far I haven't run into an issues. Even the battery has been good.
    I tried the same setting on my iphone jailbroken 4.0firmware 3gs the 700/700/50 and NO go lol phone had to be restored

    As for my old iphone 3g running 4.02 jailbroken yes i was able to do 600/600/50, much much faster! The new firmware made it to darn laggy! Now all is good thanks!

  15. #34
    Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ventura, California, United States
    Posts
    594
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts

    Good Stuff Man.. Will have to do this when I get my iphone back from the repair shop.

  16. #35
    Hate to break every ones bubble but this is a placebo. And heres why.

    su
    alpine (Unless you changed it to something else.)
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=???000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=???000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=???000000
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    As you can see in the bold text, those are the partitions on your device where all your files are held. Possibly irrelevant to the end user, however su and sysctl are both files on the root file system ( / ).

    If you want it plainly, CPU Frequency is set on boot.
    If you want it advanced, CPU Frequency is set in iBoot, iBoot hands off to the Kernel and the kernel has checks to make sure everything is A OK.

    Sorry, But SiNFUL iPhone is a rubbish website for anything hacking, just a bunch of skid admins, mods etc.

  17. #36
    iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    san antonio, tx
    Posts
    181
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexane View Post
    Hate to break every ones bubble but this is a placebo. And heres why.



    As you can see in the bold text, those are the partitions on your device where all your files are held. Possibly irrelevant to the end user, however su and sysctl are both files on the root file system ( / ).

    If you want it plainly, CPU Frequency is set on boot.
    If you want it advanced, CPU Frequency is set in iBoot, iBoot hands off to the Kernel and the kernel has checks to make sure everything is A OK.

    Sorry, But SiNFUL iPhone is a rubbish website for anything hacking, just a bunch of skid admins, mods etc.
    why is my iphone 3G suddenly not sticking on the lock screen? it opens right away, as opposed to freezing for a bit when i slid my finger, and not animating the unlock
    su is not a file, its a command similar to sudo, hence the password following it

    also
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    is the root partition

    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    is the users files

    a quick google search shows that sysctl is an "interface for examining and dynamically changing parameters in the BSD and Linux operating systems"

    another unix command line thing, not a file
    Last edited by dale2; 08-30-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  18. #37
    Green Apple vientiane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N4202′24″ W8817′02″
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    You need your password entered in the line after su. If that's not there then this mod won't do anything
    I thought, you need password if only you've installed SSH isn't it ?

  19. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    why is my iphone 3G suddenly not sticking on the lock screen? it opens right away, as opposed to freezing for a bit when i slid my finger, and not animating the unlock
    su is not a file, its a command similar to sudo, hence the password following it

    also
    /dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
    is the root partition

    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    is the users files

    a quick google search shows that sysctl is an "interface for examining and dynamically changing parameters in the BSD and Linux operating systems"

    another unix command line thing, not a file
    You ignored everything fstab is for, Its for mounting filesystems! FILESYSTEM = FS. For example:

    /dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw 0 2
    partition mount dir format read write

    And seriously, Did I really need you to point out what directory its mounting at? Perhaps worse then an ISP Operator treating you like you don't even know what DNS is.

    I've worked on overclocking the iPhone with plenty people (Helpmy360isEMO, pwnthe2g, iH8sn0w, lilstevie) -- This theroy is wrong on so many ******* levels.

    hw.cpufrequency is no longer hooked with the actual hardware, planetbeing has proven this.

    EDIT:


    Oh and I suppose that sysctl gets its variable readings from the model too.

    EDIT 2: Oh and I'll think you will find SU is a file, might wanna check in /bin/ on your filesystem. iOS Doesn't run on a windows kernel, idiot.
    Last edited by Hexane; 08-30-2010 at 06:43 AM.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexane For This Useful Post:

    JoeyB (08-30-2010)

  21. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by codester3388 View Post
    I added the file you wanted to check. I had to change the file format to txt to add it as an attachment. But the contents is what I typed to get it to work. I have a 3GS 16 GB btw.
    I think you have to have a three digit minimum speed, because 50MHz I think is too slow for the iPhone. Try that and tell me how it goes.

  22. #40
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brisbane , Australia
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    I tried this on my ipt2g and idk if it's changed , can u add instructions for iPod touches please?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •