Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Retina Display on iPhone 3GS?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Retina Display on iPhone 3GS?
    So I had an interesting idea. The retina display on an iPhone 4 is only a screen right? So I figured you might be able to mess with the cables and get it to work on the 3GS. Any thoughts?

iPhone? More like MyPhone branco145's Avatar
    Thanks

1.) I think it will need the A4 chip also. When you look inside an iPhone 4 and the iPhone 3GS there is a HUGE difference...
    2.) iOS4 won't detect the retina display, because there's no A4 and no 'iPhone 4' and the iPhone 4 firmware.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree with branco, i imagine the a4 is needed, plus any drivers for the retina, also there is the possibility that different connections are used, and then youll have to mod the whole firmware to support the retina display, THIS WOULD BE AWESOME THOUGH, i can just imagine my 3G with retina
    it would be possible but youd need an insane team of 1337 hardware and software modders

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

iPhone? More like MyPhone branco145's Avatar
    Thanks

And you need another graphic chip set...
    I don't think iPhone 3G/3GS has enough power to render all this...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

its just like last year's video recording/ voice control project :P

@macfan406
    This would be way worse than video recording and the voice control project. I would imagine alot of money to put into one iPhone 3G or 3Gs, I think the whole idea is insane. Unless you have money like that and if you do, you might as well buy an iPhone 4.

It's like hooking up a 1080p HDTV to a crappy dvd player. The source is still crappy so sure you have extra physical pixels but the image quality will just be as ******.

And that:

Quote Originally Posted by iKeablr View Post
    @macfan406
    This would be way worse than video recording and the voice control project. I would imagine alot of money to put into one iPhone 3G or 3Gs, I think the whole idea is insane. Unless you have money like that and if you do, you might as well buy an iPhone 4.
    I mean we have enough trouble with Apple software, just imagine messing up with their brand new hardware and it's basically replacing the whole phone so might as well as buy an iPhone 4 if you ever start to think about doing something as insanely hard as replacing the insides. + the iPhone 3g/s case is teh ugly.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!