Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: cydia problems/reinstall

Default cydia problems/reinstall
    recently, i added a repo but i had a typo when i entered it but cydia still accepted he repo and i *tried* to fix it thinking i knew what i was doing and ended up deleting some files (i dont remember what the files were and i didnt back them up) which i thought were the problem but i ended up messing up all my sources becasue now cydia cant gather new data from the repos.

ive thoroughly searched google and youtube for fixes but the fixes dont seem to fix my problem and the only solution i can think of is reinstalling cydia. BUT i want to reinstall cydia WITHOUT restoring and jailbreaking my iphone again.

i would really appreciate it if someone who knows what they are talking about gives me a guide or gives me a link to a guide.

almost forgot, i have a iphone 4 on 4.0.1
    (mybad if this is in the wrong place. noobie to modmyi)
    Last edited by metalhawj; 08-12-2010 at 01:05 AM.

i have the same problem...hope there is a way!

i was able to do this on 4.0 recently. Rock was already installed so that might be the sticking point. anyway cydia was almost completely fubared, it wouldn't do jack and i have no clue what i did. to fix it, i went into rock and told it to look for updates. it recognized that cydia was broken and fixed it. this was after many hours of ssh'ing into the phone deleting stuff, adding it back etc.... now if you don't have rock installed i'm not 100% sure how to get it on there w/o cydia working. best of luck.

I don't have rock installed :-(

Install Rockapp and leave Cydia on your phone because you will need it sometimes but Rock is far superior. The backup of all installed packages alone is worth it. Cydia is a dead store and needs serious updating.

Thanks

Here's how to install it manually, you will need to be able to ssh into the phone.
    How do I reinstall cydia via SSH? - iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad forum - Multi-Touch Fans

Is there a deb file which I can use to install rock?

Thanks

I'm sure there probably is, but the instructions that I linked to show you how to reinstall cydia from a deb.

Thanks but I tried it and it still doesn't work. Dammit, think I'm gonna have to rejailbreak to do it again

ya i did it too maybe followed the instructions but cydia is now not installed on my phone lol

when i used rock to update it i tried that cydia re-install first as well and it did not work. a rock deb really is needed/helpful IMHO for resolving this problem.