+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to install syslogd?

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
For a while now I've been getting the error "/var/cache/apt/archives/syslogd_1.0.2586-1_iphoneos-arm.deb" "subprocess extra-installation script returned error exit status 1" so I've tried to clear the cache of that syslogd.deb but error
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default How to install syslogd?
    For a while now I've been getting the error

"/var/cache/apt/archives/syslogd_1.0.2586-1_iphoneos-arm.deb"
    "subprocess extra-installation script returned error exit status 1"

so I've tried to clear the cache of that syslogd.deb but error still occurs.

I've also tried the dpkg -i syslogd.deb command but it still throws same error.

Also have tried /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall

but all methods have failed.

I really want to send devs syslogs of MS crashes but haven't been able to for the longest time.

How do you fix this?

Thanks

Hi Just install Crash Reporter from cydia it will do all that you are trying to do
    R.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I installed crash reporter but it tells me to install syslog toggle or syslogd.

I installed syslog toggle but its kinda useless without syslogd :P

is there any other method to installing syslog?

Green Apple
    Thanks

sorry for the bump but any solutions to this?

I'm sure I cannot be the only one experiencing such problems since it has carried over from my 3GS to iPhone 4.

iPhone? More like MyPhone andrewb283's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the same problem :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

anybody? cmon i have a problem with LI that i'd like to notify the dev about.

Thanks
    Want to hear a funny story ?

I've been trying to install Syslogd for a week now and looked for a solution here and anywhere else online, to no avail. I tried to download the .deb and force install it through Mobile Terminal but I kept getting the same error nonetheless.

I tried dropping it in Cydia's "AutoInstall" folder, rebooted and respringed countlessly. Syslogd didn't install and was nowhere to be found in Cydia's installed packages.

A day later, I tried to update a few packages in Cydia and noticed Syslogd was always in the list of packages queued to be installed despite the .deb being nowhere on my device and was making other updates crash in the process.

I got ticked off and searched for "Uninstalling syslogd" online and the search results came up with another ModMyi page labeled "Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons" with contains the word "syslogd" somewhere. I looked it up just the sake of seeing why it contained that name. Turns out, in the list of safe Launch Daemons to remove from your device is "com.apple.syslogd.plist". I remembered removing launch daemons about a year ago to try and speed up the booting process and made sure at the time to create a backup folder on the device called LaunchDaemons.bak with all the original plists intact.

Incredulous, I copied com.apple.syslogd.plist from the backup folder and copied it to the current Launch Daemons folder where it was missing. I resprang, launched Cydia and reinstalled a random package with Syslogd still queued to be installed...

... and IT DID. No error messages, installed without a hitch, shows up in my installed packages in Cydia and any other package that relies on Syslogd now work.

Hopefully this fixes it for everyone else getting the same error on install.

NOTE : for those who didn't keep a copy of com.apple.syslogd.plist, here's a link to it : http://modmyi.com/forums/attachments...le.syslogd.rar
    Last edited by Version2-1; 03-20-2011 at 04:39 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Version2-1 For This Useful Post:

grd069 (12-30-2012), pollob666 (05-28-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the opposite problem. How do I UNINSTALL syslogd?

I am trying to keep the ipad as lean as possible. I installed Crash Reporter to try to track down a problem, and it prompted me to install syslogd. Now I want to remove Crash Reporter and don't want the syslogd I installed hanging around needlessly. How do I get rid of it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Version2-1 View Post
    Want to hear a funny story ?

I've been trying to install Syslogd for a week now and looked for a solution here and anywhere else online, to no avail. I tried to download the .deb and force install it through Mobile Terminal but I kept getting the same error nonetheless.

I tried dropping it in Cydia's "AutoInstall" folder, rebooted and respringed countlessly. Syslogd didn't install and was nowhere to be found in Cydia's installed packages.

A day later, I tried to update a few packages in Cydia and noticed Syslogd was always in the list of packages queued to be installed despite the .deb being nowhere on my device and was making other updates crash in the process.

I got ticked off and searched for "Uninstalling syslogd" online and the search results came up with another ModMyi page labeled "Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons" with contains the word "syslogd" somewhere. I looked it up just the sake of seeing why it contained that name. Turns out, in the list of safe Launch Daemons to remove from your device is "com.apple.syslogd.plist". I remembered removing launch daemons about a year ago to try and speed up the booting process and made sure at the time to create a backup folder on the device called LaunchDaemons.bak with all the original plists intact.

Incredulous, I copied com.apple.syslogd.plist from the backup folder and copied it to the current Launch Daemons folder where it was missing. I resprang, launched Cydia and reinstalled a random package with Syslogd still queued to be installed...

... and IT DID. No error messages, installed without a hitch, shows up in my installed packages in Cydia and any other package that relies on Syslogd now work.

Hopefully this fixes it for everyone else getting the same error on install.

NOTE : for those who didn't keep a copy of com.apple.syslogd.plist, here's a link to it : http://modmyi.com/forums/attachments...le.syslogd.rar

THANK YOU! This solved my issue too. I had turned off the logging daemons and with them being off syslogd wouldn't install die to the "subprocess extra-installation script returned error exit status 1" error.

Set logging daemons back to on and installed syslogd with no issues.