Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: [Guide] Netflix on iPhone4
08-02-2010, 11:57 AM #1[Guide] Netflix on iPhone4
Netflix has been officially released for all iDevices!
If you have installed the below hacked version, you must delete it, and reboot then install the official.
To delete it either open iFile and browse to
/private/var/stash/Applications/ and then delete Netflix.app or use SSH the same way you copied it, but instead delete it.
Then reboot and go to the app store and install the official one
For history sakes I will reduce and recolor the previous method of installing Netflix
After a quick google search I found this article which had step by step instructions for using Netflix on a 3g[s] but it does not work on the now jailbroke iPhone4 *because of the UserAgent strings I assume*
So after some quick thinking, I found a way to do it...here is my copy/paste/change method of doing so. Thanks to the original writer at TMCNet....here we go...
Things you will need:
Open SSH or access to / via USB cable
Netflix for iPad (Free in Appstore)
Perfect Browser ($0.99 in Appstore
Paid Netflix account
Starting with the copy/paste/edit...
1) Open iTunes on your PC / Mac.
2) Download Netflix for iPad from iTunes
3) In iTunes, right-click the Netflix for iPad application & click 'Show in Windows Explorer' or 'Show in Finder'
4) Rename Netflix 1.0.4.ipa to Netflix 1.0.4.zip.
5) Extract the entire ZIP file somewhere.
6) Go into the extracted folder, then the Payload folder.There you'll see the Netflix.app folder containing the entire app.
7) Copy Netflix.app folder to your iPhone using SSH. After you SSH into your phone (I use Cyberduck on Mac), navigate to:
/private/var/stash/Applications/, which is where the Netflix.app goes.
8) Change permissions on the Netflix.app folder to 755 using this command: (On mac using Cyberduck click on 'Go - Open in Terminal App' then login
chmod -R 755 Netflix.app
Note: If you use the Terminal app on the iPhone to change permissions, make sure to run "su root" or else you will get this error: "Terminal problem. (operation not permitted)"
9) Respring (or restart) your phone.
10) In the App Store buy Perfect Browser for $1.99. When it is installed open it and click the wrenches for settings then click on Desktop Rendering then choose Safari iPad and click the Green Check Mark to accept the changes.
11) Now in Perfect Browser, browse to Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial, login, and find a movie to watch. You will then see Perfect browser close and the the Quicktime player will open and VOILA! Movies to go
Thanks to google and tmcnet!
If you don't want to buy Perfect Browser, you can go this route instead with a new version of User Agent Faker.. Thanks palooz
Last edited by SchmilK; 08-26-2010 at 09:44 AM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SchmilK For This Useful Post:
Bears_Fan (08-03-2010), Bleeditout2130 (08-02-2010), Chunky_83 (08-27-2010), DJBBOX (08-22-2010), hadzo (08-25-2010), ibrokeit (08-07-2010), patrick1227 (08-04-2010), realisticmind1 (08-03-2010), Srvdmy4usn (08-06-2010), TwoToneFarm (08-04-2010), weeslo (08-03-2010), XFaega (08-07-2010), z6joker9 (08-02-2010), zap1027 (08-03-2010)
08-02-2010, 03:09 PM #2
08-02-2010, 03:48 PM #3
i cant seem to find the Netflix for iPad app for download. Where did you dl it from?
08-02-2010, 04:05 PM #4wwjd
08-02-2010, 04:12 PM #5
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM #6
Thanks! UserAgentFaker isn't working apparently, but PerfectBrowers(and iCabMobile) work great!
08-02-2010, 05:02 PM #7
08-02-2010, 11:24 PM #8
I followed the guide to a T and when I load up the movie in Perfect Browser it just closes and sits on my homescreen, quicktime never loads. I read over the guide again and everything was done right. I have no idea as to why the movie never loads.
EDIT- Seems to be the phone needed an extra respring after downloading Perfect Browser. All is well now, can't wait to abuse this, thanks.
Last edited by Grafixs; 08-02-2010 at 11:34 PM.
08-03-2010, 12:13 AM #9
i cant seem to change the permissions on the file in mobile terminal - i keep getting the Netflix.app No such file or directory but I see it in there.
Keep getting this error. Can anyone help?
chmod: cannot access `Netflix.app': No such file or directory
Last edited by MooShoo; 08-03-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
08-03-2010, 12:25 AM #10
Thanks! Worked perfect with perfect browser. Watching Nip/Tuck from my bed... =)
08-03-2010, 12:30 AM #11
08-03-2010, 04:32 AM #12
hey man how'd you get emojiis in your app name strings????
iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken Blackra1ned
THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!
08-03-2010, 04:55 AM #13
So this won't work on ip4 ?
08-03-2010, 07:44 AM #14
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeditout2130 For This Useful Post:
08-03-2010, 07:55 AM #15
I can confirm this works on JB iPhone 4!
The Following User Says Thank You to nhstunner For This Useful Post:
08-03-2010, 08:58 AM #16
Also you can install Browser Changer from Cydia and make Perfect Browser your default browser for opening web links I missed that so much for the past month with before 'star'
Last edited by SchmilK; 08-03-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to SchmilK For This Useful Post:
08-03-2010, 09:45 AM #17
AWSOME - followed the directions to the letter and I am watching Netflix on my IP4
Anyone know if this will work on a 3GS running 4.0.1??
Last edited by dxe; 08-03-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
08-03-2010, 12:04 PM #18
08-03-2010, 12:22 PM #19
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM #20
confirmed it works on 3gs 4.0.1