+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Spoof MAC address on iPhone 3GS?

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by ace_t UPDATE - well I can't for the life of me get my MAC address to change back. Looks like I'm stuck with 00:00:00:00:00:01 for now! I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Not work for me
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_t View Post
    UPDATE - well I can't for the life of me get my MAC address to change back.
    Looks like I'm stuck with 00:00:00:00:00:01 for now!

I think the way to do it (if someone is brave enough to test) is to run the ipconfig script in terminal, then do a restore in itunes.
    I'll do it when I get a chance. I managed to do it once, so it IS possible, I just need to figure out what I did to make it work!
    I ran the macspoof, spoofmac and the ipconfig commands. This MUST have something to do with my phone crashing and needing a restore.

I'm still trying to work this out.
    I found this app "AutoMAC" on a thai repo, just trying to work out if it works on 3gs.

Repo is http://iappdec.com/i
    I try all of above method but cannot work. My phone 3Gs 3.1.3 (Jail break). I want change wifi (MAC) address. Please give me best way. Please.....
    Thanks and best regards,
    JannaH

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

instead of trying to Spoof your MAC Address, connect to the wifi, go to settings > wifi > blue arrow > renew lease
    wait 10seconds and try out safari

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I cannot
    Quote Originally Posted by lfc_ View Post
    instead of trying to Spoof your MAC Address, connect to the wifi, go to settings > wifi > blue arrow > renew lease
    wait 10seconds and try out safari
    I try your instruction but cannot change MAC Address and cannot connect with MAC Filter's Router. Thank for your advice.
    Please help me best way. My iPhone is 3Gs v3.1.3 and (7E18), Jail broken.
    Thank
    JannaH

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just try "nvram wifiaddr=00:00:00:00:00:00"... perhaps you have to add sudo at the beginning.
    But sometimes I had problems with starting Apps then.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris1705 For This Useful Post:

Gerald.Ford (10-03-2010), jaysten (01-04-2013), Mindwaave (06-16-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1705 View Post
    Just try "nvram wifiaddr=00:00:00:00:00:00"... perhaps you have to add sudo at the beginning.
    Chris, YOU ARE A GENIUS! I've been trying to change my 3GS MAC address for months! I did the nvram command you posted about, and rebooted my iPhone. Bad news and good news.

Good: My wifi MAC address was changed from the factory default!
    Bad: My iPhone had become unactivated from AT&T! It showed the connect to iTunes picture and had the Slide for Emergency slider.

Since I couldn't use any apps from the lockscreen, I SSHed into my phone from my computer, ran "nvram -d wifiaddr" to delete the custom address I'd set, and then rebooted again. My phone then worked just as normal, fully activated, but had the original MAC address.

As I said Chris, you are a genius. :P Got any ideas on how to make the iPhone usable while it has a custom MAC address? Thanks for your help!

oh and you were right about the apps not working... :S gonna have to restore now

Oh nevermind I just fixed the apps problem. All I had to do was reboot, sync again with iTunes like normal, and then it was fine again.
    Last edited by Mindwaave; 06-17-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry to revive this thread but...mindwaave did your apps fix also reactivate your iPhone or are you still cut off from the network?

I also wonder.. in the event that I had to restore and rejailbreak, would I be able to just point it to the cooked 4.0.1 firmware made by snowbreeze, or would I have to downgrade to 3.1.2 again first? And would changing the Mac address mess up the shsh blobs that saurik saved for me?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes, my apps fix also gets the phone out of emergency mode or whatever it was in. The SHSH blobs have nothing to do with the MAC address, as they are generated with different identifiers like model number and serial number etc. I think you could just upgrade to 4.0.1 right after but i don't know for sure. And hey don't be sorry for digging this thread back up, we still haven't found our answer yet!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is similar to my situation. But when I got stuck at the "connect to iTunes" image I just installed the firmware from new and my wifi mac address stayed at the changed one. When I finally upgraded the firmware on that iPhone my wifi greyed out and couldn't activate again no matter what I tried. Apple swapped it out for a refurb. Not tried this hack since.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I too followed the instructions given by Chris and had the same results as Mindwaave. I was unable to SSH to my phone after so I had to restore my phone. After that process and reboot I was able to connect to the wifi network that I was previously blocked from because the new MAC address that I assigned using Chris's instructions remained. I guess I permanently changed my MAC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

after you restored, were you still able to make calls, and did your app store apps still work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can still make/receive calls. My apps still seem to work but I am having some issues with the app store. Mainly I am getting a "your request could not be completed. The item you've requested is not currently available in the US store" error message, I have to click OK then the app store closes. That happens why I try to use my HTTP Proxy. When not using a proxy I get the "Unable to Download Application" error when trying to download updates and can not download any new apps. The app store icons are not loading either.

Update: After much pain i was able to get mobileterminal back on the phone, ran nvram -d wifiaddr with no result. Ran the original steps for changing the MAC and changed it back to the original, restored set up as new phone and things seem to be back to normal. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by fh2level; 10-27-2010 at 11:28 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My fingers are crossed too fh2level. This is obviously a very experimental procedure but i hope any damage has been fixed.

My understanding of all this is that the default MAC address must somehow be linked into the iOS activation process, hence the appstore errors. When you first sync a iDevice with itunes and login with your apple account, apple must be taking record of your MAC address in order to keep activation on one device or something. When we changed the MAC address, the iDevices became unactivated and the app store apps wouldn't run because their activation had been tampered with. Restoring the iDevice causes it to become reactivated, even if the MAC has been changed. Thats why the change becomes permanent. As for those wierd app store errors fh2level had, my only guess is that your app store account data on apple's servers keeps a record of each iDevice's serial number matched with the MAC address, and throws errors when they no longer match.

Arg. Way to make this so complicated Apple. Well so far we have figured how to successfully change the MAC address! Now all we have to do is figure a way around Apple's activation process... A process called hacktivation is used to unlock and activate an iPhone baseband, but will this method also work with iPod Touches and force normal activation as well? If you can, do some digging (like I'm doing now) and come back and let everyone else know. I'm sure everyone's just as curious as I am! If only musclenerd was here to save the day... :P

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mindwaave For This Useful Post:

fh2level (10-28-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried this out many months ago. I ran every command listed and every program on this page and non worked but the nvram one, which I personally don't recommend. After I ran it it restarted and got stuck in a bootloop. I tried to kick it out with irecovery and that failed so I had to result to a restore. I thought everything was fine and dandy until I realized my wifi was greyed out and disabled. My mac address was successfully changed, at the price of not being able to use wifi. After multiple restores I tried to run the nvram command again to set it back to how it was. For some reason it didn't let me do it. My nvram was corrupted or something. I finally gave up and took it to an apple store and got it swapped out. I gave up trying to spoof after that. Seems very experimental and the results aren't worth it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1705 View Post
    Wow this took a lifetime to figure out. I have an iPhone 3G and this worked! I prefaced it with "sudo" and the password (alpine, for those who don't know) and it worked! Now, it did put it in "connect to iTunes" mode, but after a quick redsn0w jailbreak run it was all back to normal. THANK YOU!!!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12