+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible to edit a file to change dock size?

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
is it possible to change the iphones original files somehow to enlarge the dock appearance but not the functionality? I DO NOT want to do this with a theme i
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Possible to edit a file to change dock size?
    is it possible to change the iphones original files somehow to enlarge the dock appearance but not the functionality?

I DO NOT want to do this with a theme i want to edit it without a theme

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

You want the dock image larger?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,533 Times in 5,851 Posts

I just have to ask, Why?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yeah i would like to try and make the dock picture as large as the screen but when i put an image in of 320x480 it re-sizes it to 320x91 when i restart the phone....

And to answer why im just used to modding motorola's and i like the satisfaction of doing it at a file level rather than at an app level... plus the performance benefit is just a bonus side effect i guess

My guess is that the "background" (the black shaded object that appears to be a false wallpaper) or whatever it is is suppressing the dock image from becoming larger...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Pronup's Avatar
    Thanks

Anybody got a answer to this. I want to increase the height of the dock image!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

im like 99% sure this is not possible the best way would be to photoshop together a background that has the top half of the dock on so it looks like it continues up if you get me. but doing it without winterboard is a no no....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 414 Posts

Iam not positive, but just like the battery on the lockscreen it probally has a overlay image that block it from continuing, maxxyboi2k10 is got the idea here. The only way or the easiest way as of right now would be to make your wallpaper to be part of the dock. it might take a few trys or some finagling in photoshop but youll get it!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeh there probably is an overlay and yup it will take a few attempts to get it looking right and someone above posted saying they want there dock smaller, this CAN be done, plenty of themes use a dock which isn't as high as the original

Green Apple
    Thanks

You could just SSH into your phone and locate the dock image in the default theme or whichever custom theme you are using. I havent tried to make it HUGE, but I would think it may only be enlarged to within a certain area.

But if you do this, then use ytour phone to take a SCEENSHOT- you could import the screen shot into photoshop.

Now, just import the original wallpaper file you want tio use into this screenshot document/file in photoshop, and resize it if necessary to overlay perfectly in proportion (just drop the opacity on the top wallpaper layer to line up perfectly the new wallpaper and the old screenshot.

Now, duplicate the wallpaper layer, and up the opacity again,

Now drag in your FULL(the size you want) dock- the way you want it to look- and overlay it to fit your screenshot's dock like you just did with the wallpaper lineupski's.

Now all you have to do is fix the opacity of both your big dock and your wallpaper back to 100%, and merge the layers, making sure your new dock is visible on top of the wallpaper layer order.

Now you can save that wallpaper image (wthe one with your BG and dock combined) and throw it back on your phone as wallpaper default- you will now see that where your phone has cut off your old dock, your wallpaper has taken up the slack !

I used this method when playing with my phone dialler skin

too easy
    Last edited by iTone; 06-18-2010 at 09:38 AM.