Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is the difference between OpenSSH and Automatic SSH?

Question What is the difference between OpenSSH and Automatic SSH?
    I have been following some tuts about ssh with my iDevice. One tut says install openssh, another says automatic ssh, and another teaches to install both. I managed to establish the connection, that is not the problem. I just really want to know what the differences(having either OpenSSH or AutoSSH, or having both)are? And whether one is " slightly safer" than the other (regarding to the worm-attacks)? (I know that using USB is the safest)

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Well openssh is the main one. Automatic ssh is a addon to it that makes ssh always on which helps u out in most cases. Like when ur phone is stuck in a boot loop u can access ssh and then backup files or try and fix it

Ok! But arent we suppose to always close SSH when we are not using it? So with SSH always ON, arent we increasing the risk of attack?

I at first thought automatic ssh was to RE-connect a disconnected connection (SSH enabled by me with the toggle).

So to check if I hear you correctly, i think you mean that with automatic SSH I can get into my idevice which got stuck in a boot loop DURING AN ALREADY ESTABLISHED SSH SESSION, right?

Or are you really saying that, when my iphone is stuck in a bootloop, spontaneously, and SSH is disabled, I might still get to the files in my iphone as automatic ssh is always on? If so, automatic ssh would be a life-saver and increased vulnerability at the same time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Yep openssh has saved many iPhone fromrestoring. And tostop attacks. Jus lt change root password