Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Carrier question

Default Carrier question
    So i have an unlocked 3.0 iphone, i live South Dakota with Unicel as my carrier. but Unicel really sucks, i cant get a signal hardly anywhere, regardless of the phone. Switching carriers is not an option.
    So i wanted to ask if there was some sort of mod out there that improved this for me. Like a carrier bundle or something, idk.
    See, i cant understand why the phone cant pick up on all the other towers out here, such as Verizon or Long Lines(also uses SIM).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

your best bet it to switch carriers. if that is REALLY not an option, you can get a cell booster. you would have to look into what frequency your carrier uses, if you are on EDGE, when i had T-Mobile, i was always on 1900mhz for EDGE, so chances are its 1900mhz but it might not be, if you are on 3G, its a toss up between 850 or 1900. you can check what frequency you are using by going to the dialer and dialing *3001#12345#*, then look for the frequency code for EDGE(GSM cell env -> GSM cell info -> Servicing cells -> BAND. (For 3G replace GSM with UMTS)google that code under Band. that will tell you what exact frequency range you are using. buy a cellular repeater compatible with that frequency. changing APN would do anything to effect reception, and Verizons towers can even see your phone as Verizons network is CDMA not GSM. Think of it as the iPhone speaks english and Verizon speacks Japanese...they cant talk or see eachother.
    Last edited by pwntbywombat; 12-07-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    I made it ra1n...again

'Reloading Data' - Ive spent the majority of my life seeing this