+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backingup/Restoring sms.db Help Please!!! Urgent

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Before I restored my iPhone, I made sure to back up the sms.db (all my text messages) file so I can restore it later. I was NOT updating my iPhone
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Backingup/Restoring sms.db Help Please!!! Urgent
    Before I restored my iPhone, I made sure to back up the sms.db (all my text messages) file so I can restore it later. I was NOT updating my iPhone to a new firmware, I was just restoring my iPhone to 3.1.2.

My basic method of restoring sms.db is that I just replace sms.db file with my backed up one. But the problem that occurs is when I write a txt and when I tap on "Send", the program crashes and doesn't let me send/receive any text.

Once thing I noticed on a freshly restored iPhone is that the permission of the sms.db file is 0644. So what I did was, when I replaced it with my backed sms.db file, I changed the permission to 0777 so it would stop crashing on me.

The idea above worked perfectly fine. But I noticed adverse effect on my phone. Whenever I am txting now, the keyboard starts acting weird. When I am typing the keys are very off... For example if I type the letter "W" it going to type "Q". Not only, sometimes I experience "stick keys". It is so bad, I can't txt at all...

So what could be causing this problem and what is the "proper" way of restoring a backed up sms.db?

Green Apple
    Thanks

You need to change group ownership to mobile. I don't even think you need to set it to 0x777

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

That happened to me. Did u also backup ur addressbook

Cause when I delete the addressbook backup my SMS started to work. Try it if u did

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyfreak View Post
    You need to change group ownership to mobile. I don't even think you need to set it to 0x777
    Once I transfer my backed up sms.db to the iphone, how do the i change the group ownership to mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by battlecrushr View Post
    That happened to me. Did u also backup ur addressbook

Cause when I delete the addressbook backup my SMS started to work. Try it if u did
    Okay I managed to change the group ownership to mobile. But I am still having the same problems... Laggy, sticky, and very inaccurate keyboard.

As for @battlecrushr, I never backed my address book. I just sync that with Outlook. The only thing I restore is my SMS. Let me know if you figure out a solution, and I will do the same for you.
    Last edited by Zythyr; 11-10-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost