Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: Backing up SMS
11-05-2009, 02:24 PM #1Backing up SMS
Is there a way to backup the SMS on my current iPhone? I might be reseting my phone to factor default settings or might be switching to a new iPhone. Is there a way I can backup all my SMS and transfer it over to the new iPhone?
11-06-2009, 01:52 AM #2
Yes there is
1) SSH or use iPhone Browser to go to /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS
2) Copy the content of the folder to your desktop or wherever.
3) SSH into the new phone and copy the content of the folder you just saved into the /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS folder. (or the old phone after you restore it)Lightning from the Sky - Thunder from the Sea
11-06-2009, 04:58 AM #3
Is it the same procedure to back up the Adressbook, Call History, and Calendar? Well these three don't really matter since I sync them with Outlook, but SMS is more important.
I have iFile app installed onto my phone, which allows me to browse through the files and locate /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS. But how do go about transferring it to my PC? When I connect my iPhone to the PC, I am not able to browse and locate /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS...
BTW I know there are some softwares out there which will convert iPHone SMS to PDF. Do you have any good suggestions or free ones that i can use?
11-06-2009, 05:53 AM #4
Just download DiskAid on your PC, connect your phone and browse to that location, /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS. Make sure you copy both files (it should be the main database and the legacy database).
It's the same with contacts, call history, calendar, mail, notes etc...
That's what I do. I dont trust iTunes.
I have no idea to convert those text messages to PDF, but you can open the sms database with any program that allows you to explore SQLite databases. I use "SQLite database browser", it's free and cool. There you can read your text messages, extract the phone numbers and all sorts of stuff.
A quick google check. You could just follow these instructions and convert your text messages into a PDF file:
Free iPhone SMS Backup - Export and Archive SMS from Apple iPhone
Hope this helps.
11-07-2009, 08:06 PM #5
The following is the steps to backup:
1) Backup the /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/sms.db file.
Restoring the process:
1) Restore the sms.db file but make sure to change the permission to 0777 or else message.app will keep crashing and you won't be able to send/receive sms.