+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Folders - new PC file manager

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi! Here is Windows Explorer plugin for iPhone: iPhone Folders It shows iPhone filesystem like another drive in My Computer using USB connection. The thing Apple should do long ago.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lightbulb iPhone Folders - new PC file manager
    Hi!

Here is Windows Explorer plugin for iPhone:

iPhone Folders

It shows iPhone filesystem like another drive in My Computer using USB connection. The thing Apple should do long ago. No need to use external programs like DiskAid or iPhoneBrowser. Also simplifies search of necessary folder in Applications - in thumbnail mode it shows icon of app instead of standard folder icon.
    Last edited by Redart; 10-28-2009 at 11:08 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Redart For This Useful Post:

bigarte (11-14-2009), bjerry101 (10-28-2009), DanTheManMS (11-02-2009), DeL1873 (10-28-2009), heath81 (11-25-2009), hingmin (10-30-2009), jasonleebob (11-24-2009), SkyGuy5 (10-30-2009), Utzz (10-30-2009), vil (10-30-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

U tha MAN man

Green Apple
    Thanks

can i backup my iphone entirely with this program by saving the info to my pc? do i have to save each folder or each file?
    thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Strictly speaking, you can't
    1. iPhone can store file names with symbols that are forbidden in Windows. Like : or \. When you try to copy such files copy operation will break. I'll change this behaviour to replace this symbols with something else, but then when you copy files back, their names will be changed.
    2. This program does not preserve symlinks: it threats them as usual files/folders. It's ok when you copy files to PC. But when you copy them back, results will be not perfect - you'll have several copies of one file/directory instead of 1 and several links to it.
    3. This program doesn't store file permissions. So when you copy executable file back to the iPhone, it wont have "execute" bit set, and so it wont run. Also, owner of files will change from "mobile" to "root" user, so iPhone applications will not have an ability to change them. The only exception - if file already exists on iPhone filesystem and then replaced, its permissions and owner remains intact.

Still. You CAN backup portions of iPhone filesystem and then restore them back. For example you can copy /Library/AddressBook or /Library/SMS folder to PC, then restore iPhone firmware, and then copy it back - I do this every time.
    Last edited by Redart; 10-30-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,608 Times in 1,909 Posts

Thanks...this program works pretty slick. You can see all the standard equipment and jailbroken components in a format I'm used to.

Awsome!

Green Apple
    Thanks

so i can't really backup the apps by coping them to the pc from the apps folder, right?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If you set correct permissions after restore (using iFile, for example) then you can. Otherwise it won't work.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Can you delete unnecessary file like language packs and launch daemons stated from another thread or what do i have to do for this?

Banned
    Thanks

if you want to back up your apps why dont you just use Rock app. rock will back up all your jailbroken apps and you can restore them with no problems. use itunes to back up the rest of your stuff but use Rock app to back up your jailbroken apps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by '03tl-s View Post
    Can you delete unnecessary file like language packs and launch daemons stated from another thread or what do i have to do for this?
    Yes, of course you can

iPhone? More like MyPhone DanTheManMS's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey, just wanted to thank you for this. It's exactly what I was looking for, since I was tired of using WinSCP to SSH into my iPhone all the time with an unstable wireless connection. Great for transferring files to and from the device from within Windows. You'd think something like this would have gotten more attention, considering how greatly it simplifies the whole process.

Thanks again!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If I only knew how to draw attention to my program... Here in Russia most iPhone related sites refused to include it into their newsfeeds, though the most popular one added sticky tag to the forum topic about iPhone folders. Unfortunatly I'm quite unfamiliar with iPhone community outside my contry. So if you spread the word on some other forum (or at least name some of them)- I'll be grateful

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can I copy the music from Ipod to my computer?
    Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well, in fact you can, but files will have meaningless names. Just go into /User/Media/iTunes_control folder (or just iTunes_control if your phone is not jailbroken), then search for *.mp3 files and copy them to pc. Then rename files using any tool you like using info from id3 tags.

Thanks

i'll give this a try. useful to backup my themes collection...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redart View Post
    Hi!

Here is Windows Explorer plugin for iPhone:

iPhone Folders

It shows iPhone filesystem like another drive in My Computer using USB connection. The thing Apple should do long ago. No need to use external programs like DiskAid or iPhoneBrowser. Also simplifies search of necessary folder in Applications - in thumbnail mode it shows icon of app instead of standard folder icon.
    Thanks for the effort but I suspect a lot of us Windows users are running W7 X64 (as I am). No more x86 thank you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well, 50% of visitors of my site are using Windows XP. Another 20% using Vista. As for now only 20% using Windows 7. Can't tell how many of them using x64 version. In any case at least 70% of visitors in good condition for my app. Probably more.

And you can use Total Commander + iPhone Folders to access the phone. It works ok under Win7 x64.
    Last edited by Redart; 11-17-2009 at 10:40 AM.