Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes 9 breaks tethering???

Default iTunes 9 breaks tethering???
    I am using the AT&T 5.0 carrier file modded to leave the option in settings for "Cellular Data Network" and enable tethering. Everything works, VVM, tethering, MMS. However, when I turn tethering to "on" & "USB Only" at work on my Windows 7 laptop, the ethernet connection never show up and in network connections and no tethering. When I go back into the Setting on iPhone, Tethering is gone from Network. Using iTunes 9, I can manually installed the 5.0 carrier file again and tethering is back. Is iTunes 9 disabling my tethering? When I connect the iPhone to the Windows laptop, iTunes is not open and I am not syncing. I tried removing itunes and only installing AppleMobileDeviceSupport, but I get the same result. Any suggestions? I'm on iPhone 3G w/ 3.0.1 firmware and 5.0 carrier file. Thanks.

-hogfan

I had a similar issue but I thought it was becaUse I tried pdanet idk

braydonowen
    Yeah this happened to me too so i just uninstalled iTunes 9 and installed iTunes 8.2.1 ah ha dont htink ill risk updating again, but its just so tempting to see the new features ah ha

Tethering works for me with a package I downloaded from Cydia, iTunes 9 and all.

Lovely

Not

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You might try searching the forums for Stealth's 6.0 carrier file. I believe that may still work since you are on the 3.0.x firmware. I don't have it lying around anymore sadly, but if I can find it, I'll post it up here on this thread.

Thanks

It's not the iTunes version but your firmware version that is affecting your tethering.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    It's not the iTunes version but your firmware version that is affecting your tethering.
    Pretty sure that's not the case considering his original message...

Quote Originally Posted by hogfan View Post
    I'm on iPhone 3G w/ 3.0.1 firmware and 5.0 carrier file.

Default 3.0.1
    It was my understanding that the 3.0.1 firmware did not break tethering at all. 3.0.1 is basically 3.0 firmware with the SMS security fix. I am not on the 3.1 firmware. Also, it seems odd that if it was the firmware version breaking the tethering feature, then why does it work fine when iTunes 9 is not installed? Thanks.

Thanks

My bad, I assumed you were on 3.1. But, I have iTunes 9 and 3.0 on one of my phones and tethering still works. (5.5 version)