+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Use Any Audio File as a Custom Voicemail Message

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
For 3G and 3GS only with AT&T. The iPhone makes voicemail super easy. From recording an outgoing message to listening to new voicemails, it just works. The only thing is,
    Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Use Any Audio File as a Custom Voicemail Message
    For 3G and 3GS only with AT&T. The iPhone makes voicemail super easy. From recording an outgoing message to listening to new voicemails, it just works.

The only thing is, recording an outgoing message never turns out just right because it's being recorded through iPhone's tiny microphone. The way around it, upload a custom outgoing message to your iPhone.

To start, you need a suitable outgoing message. The iPhone stores voicemail audio in the Adaptive Multi-Rate format (.amr) Unfortunately, neither QuickTime nor iTunes will allow you to export the proper AMR file for this purpose. Instead, you need to use a special software to convert .mp3 or other audio formats to .amr (Google it), there are lots of them for shareware for free, you just need it for one day, that will be good for you to make the conversion. On the software to convert your audio file to .amr When you're asked about a bitrate, use 12.2 kbps and leave the other option unchanged. If everything works, you'll have yourself an amr audio file.

Now here's the tricky part. In order to use the custom message, you need to trick the iPhone into uploading it to the AT&T server.

On the iPhone, go into voicemail and tap "Greeting". Record a few seconds of something and tap stop. Before you tap save, use iPhone browser or WinSCP to navigate to /user/Library/Voicemail on your iPhone. You'll see a file called "Greeting. amr". This is the audio you just recorded. Delete that file and replace it with your custom message file which should then be renamed to "Greeting.amr". Tap "Play" on the iPhone to verify your message works. If it plays, tap "Save" and your custom message will be uploaded to AT&T's servers.

Now that, my friends, is awesome. Thanks to iPhone Alley reader Craig K. for this tip!

Enjoy!
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javiert30 For This Useful Post:

DistortedTruth (12-21-2010), tookewl4skewl (10-27-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for posting this. Cool idea!
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thank you for your advice i did find away of converting on a mac from .mp3 to .amr just by going to GET INFO and changing it manually and no need for extra software and it works a treat.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

first post here,
    just wanted to let you guys know that this worked on mine with Rogers carrier, thanks to OP

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Worked great, lol! Thanks!