Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Import old iPod Photo Cache to iPhone 3GS, is it possible?

Question Import old iPod Photo Cache to iPhone 3GS, is it possible?
    This seemed like the most appropriate place to post this. If it isn't, I appologise profusely. I did a bunch of searches, but all I could find were threads about converting the .ithmb files using iThmbConv.exe or whatever...and, quite honestly, I find that I'm either too dumb or not tech-savvy enough to do that. So, if this has been addressed somewhere else, I wasn't able to find it.

In my infinite, "Oh crap!"-ness, I have managed to lose a TON of photos from old iPods that were rather treasured memories. The photos DO NOT exist anymore. Even recovery programs only came back with corrupt jpegs off my hard drives. Fortunately, I find that I still have the iPod Photo Caches and .ithmb files that seem to be related to them.

Is there some way that I can simply install my old iPod Photo Cache onto my iPhone 3GS and be able to view the pictures that I had lost? If the best I can do is being ONLY able to view them on the iPhone, I'll be content with that. We're talking some prime memories including friends that are no longer with us.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, you guys have helped me out before and I'm hoping for another genius save from the gang here. I'm running a Jailbroken and unlocked 32gb iPhone 3GS on T-Mobile in case that info is needed.
    Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Hi James,

I think this might help you recover your lost photo from Ipod Photo Cache.

I had the same problem few weeks ago. Lost all my previous photos in my iPod Touch and in my computer as well. I've done lots of searches and none of them can help me. Then, i had this idea suddenly. Please follow the following steps:

1) Try to sync any photo into your iPhone 3Gs;
    2) Download WinSCP from their website (make sure you already installed OpenSSH from Cydia);
    3) Connect your iPhone using WinSCP (guess you know how to do it and if not, try search in ModMyi.com);
    4) In WinSCP, browse to /private/var/mobile/Media/Photos/;
    5) Now browse to your Ipod Photo Cache in your computer at the left panel of WinSCP (you should see the lots of Folders with a file name called "Photo Database";
    6) Select all the folders together with the "Photo Database" file;
    7) Drag the selected folders together with the "Photo Database" file to the Right panel (this is your iPhone 3Gs panel) and WinSCP should ask you what to do and just click copy;
    8) You're done.

It works for me and hope it works for you as well.

Thanks.