Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing icons when 2 apps have the same name

Default Changing icons when 2 apps have the same name
    Title pretty much says it all: how can I change the individual icons for two apps that use the same Springboard name? In this case, I have USA Today and NYT crossword apps and if I insert a Crosswords.png file into my theme, both icons change to become that icon.

Do I need to manually change the name of one of the apps?

When I locate the apps in Finder, NYT Crosswords shows up as Crosswords 1.ipa, but using that title for the .png file does not apply a new icon.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

it can be fixed...but lots of work. Basically one of those app name needed to be changed.

Here is the reference of how to change the actual app name.

[Guide] How to install more than two of the same apps

I found this thread which I think solves the issue I'm having, however neither app is responding when I insert a Bundles>CFBundleIdentifier>'CFBundleIconFile'.png into my theme folder.

I'd rather not be running a duplicate app as that other thread describes, I'd be worried updates wouldn't come through as well as since these apps rely on downloading fresh puzzles daily, I would hate for that to stop working.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

what you can do is chpange the name you ssh into the app to /var/mobile/Applications and then it'll have a bunch of folders with numbers and letters each one is an application on your device open them one by one until you find the one you need then to go into the folder that says the name of the application.app and in there go to info.plist edit it where it says this <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key><string>"..."</string> the ... will say the name as it apears on yoru springboard there you change it then reboot your device it'll be changed then name the icon you want to what you just renamed it to i don't know if it'll fix the problem but i would assume it would

5. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

fDOTbear (09-29-2009)

can you or anyone confirm that this doesn't cause the app to fail to load?

edit: santaf--you the man! so much easier than everyone else made it out to be!

Worked perfectly and my theme is complete
    Last edited by fDOTbear; 09-29-2009 at 06:35 PM.