Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
09-08-2009, 05:20 AM #1[Guide] How to install more than two of the same apps
Ok. So for those guyz who want to know how to install more than 2 of the same apps on the iPhone, continue reading. Otherwise you're in the wrong thread.
1) First of all, open iTunes and click on "Applications". I'm going to use the app called "Bloons" in this example. Right-click on it and chose "Show in Windows Explorer".
2) A folder should open where iTunes saves all of your iPA files. Make a copy of the iPA you want to modify and rename the extiontion to ".zip". E.g. if it is called "Bloons.ipa" rename it to "Bloons.zip".
3) Extract the archive in a new folder.
4) Go inside that folder, then "Payload" and then the "Bloons.app" folder (will vary depending on which iPA you are editing). You will see a bunch of files. Open the "Info.plist" file. I use something called "plist Editor for Windows" to edit such files. It can downloaded for free from HERE.
The main three things we are interested in are highlighted below.
5) Now we need to edit these three strings. The first one:
The second one:
Here is what I did:
The third one:
6) Save and exit. Go one folder back i.e. where it should say "Bloons.app". Rename this to something like "Bloons2.app". Go further back where you only see the folder called "Payload" and a file called "iTunesArtwork". Highlight both items and right click on them. I assume you already have WinRAR installed, select "Add to archive".
Use the settings below:
Make sure it's a .zip file, NOT .rar!
7) Rename the new archive from "Bloons2.zip" to something like "Bloons2.ipa". Once that's done, just double click on the file and it should automatically add it to the Applications library in iTunes.
8) Sync and voila, if you have done everything correctly, you should have the same app installed twice! Please note that this ALSO means that if you play the normal app, in this case Bloons, and save where ever you are, let's say level 10, you will NOT have the same savegame on the new app, Bloons2! They both have their seperate folders/savegame locations!!!
If this has helped you, please hit the thanks button.
09-18-2009, 08:04 PM #2Doesn't work on itunes 9 and iPhone OS 3.0...
I thought about the same thing, I tried it and it didn't work, so I made a Google search and found your topic, but it still doesn't work for me. I am with iTunes 9.0 and iPhone OS 3.0.
Do you think I should try with iTunes 8.2.1 instead ??
09-19-2009, 07:10 AM #3
What app/game are you trying to duplicate?
09-21-2009, 10:52 PM #4
09-23-2009, 07:29 AM #5
Is it possible to for example duplicate Racing live 300 prestige points ( i already used one) to reuse it??
09-23-2009, 07:33 AM #6
Wow this is pointless for me....why on earth would u want to skypes...or two programs....for two seperate accountsaybe? And have backgrounder on both so u can switch between them? That's is just plain dumb....but it toots you guys whistle so...that's that
09-28-2009, 01:43 AM #7
how do i go about this if the app that i want to duplicate was installed via cydia?
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM #8
can anyone tell if this method would work with storm8 stuff like the +300 loyalty for vampires? seems you can only apply that once.. which doesnt make sense, what if i wanted to purchase it twice to get 600 points...
10-18-2009, 10:21 PM #9
Ive tried this method on Racing Live game from storm8, and it worked BUT i had the same lvl once i started my duplicated version. How can i use it like new account so lets say i will have two exact games with two different progress.
11-08-2009, 09:23 PM #10
Does anyone know if this works on 3.1.2?? It didn't work for me....i tried twice...anyone had any luck with this??
11-10-2009, 04:13 PM #11
10-25-2010, 03:26 AM #12
I'm trying to do this with games and was able to install but it won't start. OS is 4.1 on 3GS.
Any hint would be greatly appreciated.
10-25-2010, 06:55 PM #13
Last edited by iphone49er; 10-25-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
10-25-2010, 11:42 PM #14
Because i wanted to for a theme. Since writing i have succeeded and have even written my own guide more advances than this one
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM #15
Rather than duplicate an app, does anyone know how to create a shortcut to an existing app?
ie two icons on the springboard that can be placed on different screens which both start the same app?
kinda like what OSX and Windows allow us to do.
11-25-2010, 11:19 PM #16
After playing with this for a little bit on a Mac, I finally got it to work without giving an error when installing on the phone (took a while because this is foreign to me). However, it says signature in not valid. I am assuming this will not work on any app that has a signature code, can anyone confirm my assumption?
But then I also assumed all apps have a signature code? Otherwise, what keeps people from just installing apps copied from other computers? Maybe free apps don't bother with this step?
Last edited by twon; 11-25-2010 at 11:21 PM.