Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any FAIL proof tweaks to speed up iPhone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone alohawaii's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Any FAIL proof tweaks to speed up iPhone?
    I've read about deleted languages and what not but seems like a lot of people run into problems.

Is there anyone that have had success tweaking out their iPhone and removing anything that's unnecessary? If so, could you post up a step by step tutorial or if anything, can someone guide me in the right direction where I can find help?

Thanks in advance.

Aloha!

Default This worked for me
    First I had to come to the realization that you have to choose between your looks or performance, I chose performance. I am not sure how much all of these did individually because I did it all at once.

1. The first thing I did was used IPhone Explorer (which btw works with iTunes 9) and uninstalled all the unneeded language packs from all the stock Iphone apps.

2. Uninstall WinterBoard - If you do not want to uninstall WinterBoard try to use a small or basic theme like minimalist.

3. Boss Paper - I noticed with the 7 or 8 photos I was using on it, it was slowing my phone down about 7-10MB, Then again I was having my photos transition every time I close an app. I uninstalled this all together.

4. Go to Cydia/Installer/Rock, Manage, Packages. Uninstall any packages that you do not use.

5. Sbsettings - Go to processes kill any programs you are not using and click free up memory.

6. MemTool - after I use Sbsettings and free my memory this normally doesn't do much, sometimes I do get an additional 4MB.

I hope this helps at least one person Of course choose what you want to do, this is what worked for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwil736 For This Useful Post:

forgot2wipe (12-05-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

or get a 3GS :-p
    I made it ra1n...again

'Reloading Data' - Ive spent the majority of my life seeing this

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Delete all the language packs you do not need and delete all the launch daemons you do not need, makes for a very speedy phone.
    iLive an iLife

and where would u find these language packs and deamons??

I just use virtual RAM, I"m a complete newbie to this shiz and it hasn't f*cked my ipod.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liquiddevil2000 View Post
    and where would u find these language packs and deamons??
    Language pack:
    [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

Launch Daemons:
    Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

Have fun!

And virtual RAM...pshh, all that does is f*ck up your iPhone. Constant springboard crashes, especially when using freemem in SB Settings. If you want more app memory, close out of apps that dont need to be running, IE: When using backgrounder, only put one thing in the background at a time. Say you put pandora in the background, make sure the iPod app is closed, the iPod app is full of memory leaks and rapes your system resources. ALWAYS kill Safari when you arent using it; Safari sucks down probably the most amount of memory. And lastly, if you want a faster phone...get a 3GS, it has double the app memory and 1.5X more CPU for a reason.
    Last edited by pwntbywombat; 12-03-2009 at 06:49 AM.
    I made it ra1n...again

And virtual RAM...pshh, all that does is f*ck up your iPhone. Constant springboard crashes, especially when using freemem in SB Settings. If you want more app memory, close out of apps that dont need to be running, IE: When using backgrounder, only put one thing in the background at a time. Say you put pandora in the background, make sure the iPod app is closed, the iPod app is full of memory leaks and rapes your system resources. ALWAYS kill Safari when you arent using it; Safari sucks down probably the most amount of memory. And lastly, if you want a faster phone...get a 3GS, it has double the app memory and 1.5X more CPU for a reason.
    I used the modified one from xSellize and it's been nothing but good. Clearing memory in SBSettings doesn't crash my ipod, apps don't slow down any more than they used to and don't crash from a lack of RAM, my springboard hasn't crashed and I've been running around 8 apps most of the time. It's also the only way I can use multifl0w effectively (I have a iPod touch 2g).

maybe I'm just lucky, but it's been a godsend from my apps constantly crashing from lack of ram when I had radio backgrounded

Thanks

iphone is a little different than ipod touch buddy. iphone ALWAYS runs phone and mail in the background, right there take you down to like 40mb. then if you launch the ipod, it stays open even if you close it, that will take you down to around 25mb. launch messages ontop of that, down to 15.
    I made it ra1n...again