Page 1 of 29 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

Default Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons
    NOTE! It is STRONGLY recommended that you make a backup of all the files being modified in this tutorial. These are system files, and removing the wrong one could potentially result in a restore if backups are not made.

It is also recommended that you have MobileFinder or iFile installed, in case you need to restore your backups but are unable to SSH into your device for some reason. I am not responsible for any damage caused to your device by this tutorial. Follow this tutorial at your own risk. Not all results will be the same for all users, so don't blame me if you still can't run Bochs at a decent speed after following this tutorial.

Before we start, you need to understand what a daemon is if you don't already. Wikipedia has an excellent explanation:

In Unix and other computer multitasking operating systems, a daemon is a computer program that runs in the background, rather than under the direct control of a user; they are usually initiated as background processes.
    So what does this mean? This means that when your iPhone or iPod is turned on, it loads a bunch of background processes (54, to be exact) that allow it to do various things, like connect to the Internet and receive calls. Since these processes are in the background, they take up a sizable amount of your device's available RAM, and because they're system processes, they can't be killed with SBSettings or MemTool. The good news is that some of these daemons are completely unnecessary (for most people), and you can simply delete them and regain the RAM they were taking up.

First, SSH into your device and navigate to /System/Library. Find the LaunchDaemons folder and download the entire thing to your desktop. Rename the original to something like "LaunchDaemons.old" or "LaunchDaemons.original" so that you have an easily retrievable backup if something should go wrong. (It is HIGHLY recommended that you make this backup.) Make any changes you want to the copy on your desktop and then simply reupload to your device when you're done. Be sure that the copy doesn't overwrite the original, and also be sure that the permissions of the LaunchDaemons folder are set to 755. Failure to ensure correct permissions will result in your device freezing at the Apple logo. Once the copy is reuploaded, reboot your device and notice your newfound speed.

To disable a daemon, simply delete the corresponding .plist file.

Safe Daemons - These can be deleted by any user, with no adverse effects on the device.
    com.apple.DumpPanic.plist - Dumps crashes for evaluation by Apple.
    com.apple.ReportCrash.(Different Things).plist - There are 5 of these daemons, and they collect data about what caused a crash, what programs were running at the time, etc.
    com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist - Also deals with crashes.
    com.apple.aslmanager.plist - This daemon manages system logs.
    com.apple.syslogd.plist - Logs system events.
    com.apple.powerlog.plist - This is used to monitor any incompatibilities with 3rd party chargers.
    com.apple.stackshot.server.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device. Some more information can be found here, although the page is quite technical and isn't very useful to an end-user.
    com.apple.tcpdump.server.plist - This daemon is apparently used to dump traffic on a network (Source), but I don't know what that means, exactly. Removing this daemon has no adverse effects on one's device.
    com.apple.iqagent.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device.
    com.apple.mobile.profile_janitor.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device.
    com.apple.chud.chum.plist - This daemon is thought to relate to Apple's CHUD (Computer Hardware Understanding Developer) tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.
    com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist - This daemon is also thought to relate to Apple's CHUD tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.

Conditional Daemons - These daemons can be disabled by certain users who have no need for some features of their device.
    com.apple.AddressBook.plist - If removed, Contacts in the Phone application will load slightly slower. Disable this if you don't care about that.
    com.apple.accessoryd.plist - If removed, disables accessories like FM radio transmitters, iPhone docks, and AV cables. Accessories will be able to charge your device, but that is all they will be able to do. Remove this if you don't use any of these accessories.
    com.apple.apsd.plist - If removed, Push Notifications will no longer work. Disable this if you don't use Push Notifications.
    com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessd.plist - If removed, contacts will no longer sync via Exchange or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those services.
    com.apple.datamigrator.plist - Used to transfer contacts from SIM card to phone. iPod touch users can delete this.
    com.apple.racoon.plist - Used for Virtual Private Networks. Disable this daemon if you do not use any VPNs.
    com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist - Used for Internet Tethering. Disable this if you have an iPod touch or if you aren't interested in tethering.
    com.apple.aggregated.plist - It is believed that this performs some function related to Audio-In. If you have an iPod touch and do not intend to use Audio-In, disable this. iPhone users should leave this alone.
    com.apple.AOSNotification.plist - This daemon deals with MobileMe syncing. If you do not use the MobileMe service, you can disable this.
    com.apple.AdminLite.plist - This daemon tries to return control of your device to you if it thinks that you are waiting for a lengthly process to respond. It does this by force-quitting the process, so if you're tired of your apps crashing and you would rather wait a few seconds for them to finish what they're doing, disable this daemon.

Manual-Edit Daemons - These daemons should not be fully disabled, but should be edited so that they are disabled when they are not needed.
    com.apple.itunesstored.plist - Open the plist file in a text editor and change this:
    Code:
    <key>SuccessfulExit</key>
    <false/>
    to this:
    Code:
    <key>SuccessfulExit</key>
    <true/>
    Now this daemon will go away when it's not needed. If you're having trouble editing the .plist on your computer, edit it using iFile on your device.

Caution-Required Daemons - The functions of these daemons are currently unknown, but based on their names or their code they could be important. Disable at your own risk.
    com.apple.daily.plist - Nothing is currently known about this daemon, except that it is programmed to perform a certain function once a day.

Leave-Alone Daemons - These daemons are crucial to the operation of your device and should not be modified in any way.
    com.apple.mobile.Lockdown.plist - Deals with SIM authorization and other important things.
    com.apple.fairplayd.plist - This checks the DRM on your legitimately-acquired music and apps.
    com.apple.installd.plist - Deals with app installation.
    com.apple.BTServer.plist - If this daemon is disabled, your device will become extremely slow and unresponsive.
    com.apple.configd+pm.plist - Deals with system configuration.
    com.apple.configd-pm.plist - Also deals with system configuration.
    com.apple.gmmd.plist - A debugging service for your device.
    com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist - DNS. Disable this, and your Internet is completely gone.
    com.apple.CommCenter.plist - Deals with making/receiving calls, etc. iPod touch users should still leave this alone.
    com.apple.locationd.plist - Deals with GPS and location.
    com.apple.mediaserverd.plist - Plays your music and videos.
    com.apple.graphicsservices.sample.plist - Displays album artwork.
    com.apple.usbptpd.plist - Allows your device to connect to your computer and charge.

Jailbreak Daemons - These are daemons installed by jailbreak applications.
    com.bigboss.sbsettingsd.plist - Related to SBSettings. I would suggest leaving it alone.
    com.imalc.insomnia.plist - Used to keep Insomnia running through resprings and reboots. If you don't want it to do that, disable this.
    com.mxweas.MxT2d.plist - The daemon that allows MxTube to download videos in the background. If disabled, the application will need to be reinstalled; however, if you don't use MxTube and are too lazy to uninstall it, you can disable this daemon.
    com.saurik.Cydia.Startup.plist - It's believed that this daemon deals with the AutoInstall trick for installing .deb files. If you don't know what that is and you don't use it, you can disable this daemon.
    org.nodomain.scrobbled.plist - The Scrobbler daemon. Disable this if you don't want your music scrobbled anymore.

NOTE! If this tutorial does not specifically mention that a certain daemon is safe to remove, leave it alone. Better safe than sorry.

After removing all of the unnecessary daemons from my device, my boot time has gone down considerably (30 seconds to reach the black screen, 47 seconds to reach the SpringBoard) and I've gotten up to 61 MB of free RAM. That's close to half of my device's total RAM, and should be enough for several backgrounded applications.

If you have reliable information that one of the daemons mentioned in this tutorial is described incorrectly (e.g. I say it's safe when it isn't), please post in this thread and PM me immediately so that I can edit this post and hopefully prevent anyone from having to restore their device.

Hope this helped!

Source/Credits: [ame=http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224341]Tutorial - Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons - iPod touch Fans forum[/ame]

2. The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to jdys_1991 For This Useful Post:

a7x (07-08-2012), AkAdeMicKs (06-17-2012), Alphapanda (08-12-2010), Amadomon (03-16-2010), BboyAirrick (08-12-2010), BIGDADE (09-04-2009), big_fish (08-18-2010), BoxedBeverages (08-24-2010), candymanmike (12-14-2009), CodeMe (10-09-2013), darcus (02-20-2010), davesnothere11 (02-19-2010), DaysWereGolden (03-15-2011), devteamtools (03-22-2010), fastrek82 (09-30-2009), florevil (12-03-2010), grd069 (12-30-2012), greek.guy (08-20-2010), gthugballin (11-06-2009), hank197857 (02-10-2012), hollow0 (11-29-2009), indyzzzz (06-16-2012), iPhone_binbonin (05-02-2011), ismoothproject (03-01-2011), iwangots (03-04-2011), iwannamod (08-23-2010), Jaimy45 (08-20-2010), jenske102 (10-08-2010), jewelzeem (05-31-2010), Jul.Rock.SG (12-03-2010), LanCo Rider (12-06-2009), LeeMC1989 (01-03-2011), Lefty (06-29-2010), lightmaster (07-30-2010), Madman604x (05-18-2010), matthew1111 (02-02-2012), MaxRabbit (08-13-2010), MikeT674 (03-01-2010), mjdaul (09-23-2009), moon#pie (01-20-2010), ognised (04-28-2010), OmenCheppy (04-19-2011), pen.suhl (01-26-2011), plasmakirby (03-22-2010), pwnwolf117 (02-23-2011), quadranonymous (08-19-2010), Rafal_S (06-19-2010), sickchris714 (03-25-2012), siren_acid (09-05-2009), socom354 (03-17-2010), soulthoughts (09-04-2009), The Man of Sand (03-05-2011), TOakie21 (07-18-2010), Tylus (03-17-2010), UltimateCydiaSource (01-25-2011), VeNoMmx (02-19-2010), veskodimov (07-27-2010), wakara1n (08-14-2010), xXrkidXx (05-28-2010), yahoowizard (10-18-2009), zero-limit (09-13-2009), zilch1013 (04-04-2011), _konstrukt (12-16-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

This along with removing the unneeded language packs makes for a super quick phone

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

darcus (02-20-2010), davesnothere11 (02-19-2010), jewelzeem (05-31-2010), Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    This along with removing the unneeded language packs makes for a super quick phone
    Is there a quick blurb for how to do this or is it readily searchable?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to edwilk55 For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Thanks

my question is this...

I know im looking for anything to make my phone faster (grumbles "wish someone would over clock the processor") but how much faster will the phone be by making these changes???

com.apple.AOSNotification.plist - when you mean disabled - do i manually change something or just delete it?
    Last edited by spanky55amg; 08-25-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. The Following User Says Thank You to spanky55amg For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

I totally forgot about deleting the language files hack!
    Thanks for reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    Is there a quick blurb for how to do this or is it readily searchable?
    Here is the link to the thread:
    [LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance

Quote Originally Posted by spanky55amg View Post
    my question is this...

I know im looking for anything to make my phone faster (grumbles "wish someone would over clock the processor") but how much faster will the phone be by making these changes???
    By deleting the language files and those unnecessary daemons, your iPhone will have more RAM available for you to use. It depends on what and how much you delete. Users have reported increase from 5MB upto 20MB!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdys_1991 For This Useful Post:

gh0stryt3r (05-25-2010), lightmaster (07-30-2010), Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Thanks

yeah i was reading about the language packs. ummm. im tempted.

it seems like all the good info on this site is buried. its all cluttered with noobs asking the same questions over and over.

ok... now that i have done this and the LP's. must say, thou you wouldnt think, and you wouldnt really see it, (meaning i dont think it cleared up a ton of ram) these two things do make the phone snappier!

ill test tonight and see if it was worth it... so far so good. i free up and i have about 47 megs. before i was sitting at 36-39
    Last edited by spanky55amg; 08-25-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to spanky55amg For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Thanks

^ sounds good. The results are crazy on a 3GS. 170mb+ free

14. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

ok **** me. im a dumbass!... help me out here.

i copied the whole LaunchDaemons folder to my desktop, and renamed the original one in SSH to LaunchDaemonsOLD and accidentally hit the reboot button on SBSettings before adding back a LaunchDaemons folder and now its just stuck on a reboot apple logo for the last 4 min!!.

how can i fix this without a restore?? if i could SSH in i'd be fine, but since its not fully booted up its not letting me.

yes im a dumbass i know, but is there a way to fix this?? i dont wanna have to restore/rejailbreak all over again

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stylin97 For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

If it wont boot and wont allow SSH.....all you can do is restore. Boo on you.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Thanks

If it won't SSH then you will have to restore

20. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

If it won't SSH then you will have to restore
    just restored

so freakin pissssssed. havent done a sync in a month and lost a few #'s (girls from the bar and ****! lol. DAMNIT!!) and also gonna have to rejailbreak and reinstall all my jailbroken apps and figure out what i had before.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to stylin97 For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Thanks

sucks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Thanks

Install "pkgbackup" from cydia.

Will backup a list of cydia apps and reinstall them in one step after a restore.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

dale2 (01-12-2010), Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Install "pkgbackup" from cydia.

Will backup a list of cydia apps and reinstall them in one step after a restore.
    yea i had been meaning to do that. wont help me now tho lol

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stylin97 For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Thanks

Procrastination = fail.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Rafal_S (06-19-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by spanky55amg View Post
    yeah i was reading about the language packs. ummm. im tempted.

it seems like all the good info on this site is buried. its all cluttered with noobs asking the same questions over and over.

ok... now that i have done this and the LP's. must say, thou you wouldnt think, and you wouldnt really see it, (meaning i dont think it cleared up a ton of ram) these two things do make the phone snappier!

ill test tonight and see if it was worth it... so far so good. i free up and i have about 47 megs. before i was sitting at 36-39
    Nice to hear!
    I can't wait till I get my new iPhone off eBay in a couple of days time! So wanna do this.

^ sounds good. The results are crazy on a 3GS. 170mb+ free
    Damn. lol I wish I could afford a 3GS.
    Oh well maybe in a few weeks time or so.

Quote Originally Posted by stylin97 View Post
    ok **** me. im a dumbass!... help me out here.

i copied the whole LaunchDaemons folder to my desktop, and renamed the original one in SSH to LaunchDaemonsOLD and accidentally hit the reboot button on SBSettings before adding back a LaunchDaemons folder and now its just stuck on a reboot apple logo for the last 4 min!!.

how can i fix this without a restore?? if i could SSH in i'd be fine, but since its not fully booted up its not letting me.

yes im a dumbass i know, but is there a way to fix this?? i dont wanna have to restore/rejailbreak all over again
    Sorry to say, but there isn't really a way to fix this, other than restoring. Be careful next time, if there is gonna be a next time.

Dont forget to share your results with us!

all fixed. restored and jailbroken... time to spend hours re-installing everything i had before

Thanks

^ are you going to try the mod again?

^ are you going to try the mod again?
    yes, but ill do it right this time lol.

Thanks

well there is no better time

Page 1 of 29 123 11 ... LastLast