+ Reply
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678 16 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
If you can understand most of the instructions if not all and what they mean, then you will probably be able to do this.
    Thanks

If you can understand most of the instructions if not all and what they mean, then you will probably be able to do this.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well I understand the instructions.Set permissions,go and change.That's it really.I don't understand what I'm doing though.Like I know I'm deleting daemons to speed up my device.I understand that.I don't understand what the permissions do though.Am I still alright with that kind of knowledge?Also,do I delete or disable the daemons?

Thanks

Do you know HOW to set the permissions? If you know HOW to do all the stuff in there, it's fine.
    And delete them I think.. at least I did.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Green Apple
    Thanks

No problems with you though right?And yes,I know how.The commands are:
    su root
    alpine
    chmod 755 /System/Library/LaunchDaemons

Correct?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After deleting safe applications, is anyone having problems with the iPhone headphone remote? Let me know. Thank you!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattoligy's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that all this is a waste of time! It Does NOT work or have any improvement on a 3GS AT ALL and from what i'v heard from my friends and gf it doesn't do the 3G any favours either! If anything it slows it down...

However deleting the language packs seemed to work quite well on my 3GS, nothing dramatic but did feel snapier as suggested!

3G= Give it a go if you got time to waste but dont get your hopes up

3GS= DONT BOTHER, trust me

Peace

Green Apple
    Thanks

Actually deleting the just the daemons gave me 10MB extra...i'm up to 55 - 60MB now on my 3G =D

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

@mattology- you are completely wrong. If this didnt work for you then you didnt do it right
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I deleted all the safe ones and a few of the optional ones that I didn't need and now I'm at 45mb free when it was 55mb free before deleting them. Any ideas why? I'm going to restore the backed up file and try again, but I don't see where I could have messed up, its pretty straight forward.

Thanks

You have to restart your phone afterwards people!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did....twice...

Ok, I tried again and this time only deleted the ones under the safe part and no conditional ones. Now its sitting at 50/51mb which is about the same as before anything was deleted. So i got no change out of it.
    Last edited by Drummr; 09-03-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't notice an actual rise in the "amount" of free ram, but it does speed it up definitely. Having all the ram in the world won't do any good if it still goes slowly

Thanks

^+1 well said ang!

Green Apple
    Thanks

K I really want to try this but I'm having doubts.I've talked a to a C4iD member (they're app crackers for those who don't know) and she seems to have a pretty good knowledge of things.She advised against it,but then again I could use the extra RAM,and the speed.My ipods horrible laggy.What should I do?Also,is this the proper terminal command?

su root
    alpine
    chmod 755 /System/Library/LaunchDaemons

The folder path might not be exact,I don't have the best memory.But is that how it should be?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't notice an actual rise in the "amount" of free ram, but it does speed it up definitely. Having all the ram in the world won't do any good if it still goes slowly
    I was under the impression that it did increase the amount of free ram. The first post says they got 61mb of free ram, implying that it did indeed go up. If the deleted launch daemons total 5mb, would that be 5mb less crap that gets loaded into ram? Sorry, I'm just curious to what exactly is going on.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gastonm's Avatar
    Thanks

Tried it and works with no problems. Seems quicker.

Thanks

When I upgraded to 3.0 my phone got real laggy. I was hoping this would fix that, but on my phone the difference is barely noticeable. My girlfriends phone with jailbroken 2.2.1 still smokes mine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattoligy View Post
    I think that all this is a waste of time! It Does NOT work or have any improvement on a 3GS AT ALL and from what i'v heard from my friends and gf it doesn't do the 3G any favours either! If anything it slows it down...

However deleting the language packs seemed to work quite well on my 3GS, nothing dramatic but did feel snapier as suggested!

3G= Give it a go if you got time to waste but dont get your hopes up

3GS= DONT BOTHER, trust me

Peace
    Incorrect.

It depends how many Cydia apps you have installed and running in the background.

I got an extra 17mb on my 3GS, and it got rid of the animation lag when opening/closing some apps such as Cydia.

Thanks

Did the language pack tweak and this, got a 3G and I'm well chuffed, snappier most definitely. Kudos dude!
    You have nothing to fear from my base instincts, itís my finer ones that tell me to kill you

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

FOUND SOMETHING NEW!!!

What I did was deleted some more crap from my phone. Especially from /System/Library/TextInput/
    I've Google'd to find out what those files are and found out that they are those "auto-correct dictionaries". Because I dont need all of them, I deleted all of them, EXCEPT three, English, German and Emoji.
    I kept English and German because I use both of them sometimes.
    And I kept Emoji because I dont really know what that is so, just in case lol.

Anyway, after deleting those and re-spring'ing my phone, my root partition went from 91MB free to 140MB! That's 49MB on the small partition!

Dont have any problems (as of yet).
    Definitely worth deleting if you're not using all 34 language dictionaries! :P

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jdys_1991 For This Useful Post:

Ro-K (09-11-2009)