+ Reply
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Cool, I have sbsettings and i always have SMS, phone, and safari multitasking and I keep around 135-140mb free mark. I check pretty frequently actually... But I don't have winterboard,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool, I have sbsettings and i always have SMS, phone, and safari multitasking and I keep around 135-140mb free mark. I check pretty frequently actually... But I don't have winterboard, I hate it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunnyabc View Post
    Yes everything works fine i have album artwork, i kept the accessories daemon so i can still use my dock and everything works fine, whats the advertage speed for a stock 3gs,well one whith just sb settings? mine never realy goes below 155 i always have the phone app and sms app multitasked, if you use ztoggle and turn off the multitasking you could get more free ram.
    That's impressive! I could only get 163MB max when I had my 3GS. Granted, I also had a lot of Cydia apps/tweaks installed! BTW, I love NoSpot...I really hated Spotlight!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I did this on my 4.1 iphone 3g and it worked fine but on 4.2 i ended up having to restore

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grumpytreto View Post
    I did this on my 4.1 iphone 3g and it worked fine but on 4.2 i ended up having to restore
    Did u manually delete them or use an auto-removal tool? It'd be interesting to know which one does and doesn't work. I'm still on 3.1.2 (3G), 4.0.1 (3GS), 3.2.2 (iPad) & 4.1 (ip4) so I haven't tested 4.2.1 yet.

Thanks

I have a 3g phone and I read in a different site that we can delete the 2x.png files since 3g users don't use retina?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 143voltron View Post
    I have a 3g phone and I read in a different site that we can delete the 2x.png files since 3g users don't use retina?
    That is correct. The @2x.png is only for retina devices. I'd try copying then deleting one and respring to verify.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    That is correct. The @2x.png is only for retina devices. I'd try copying then deleting one and respring to verify.
    Are you going to use a script?
    I've also tried deleting one using ifile and it came back saying that I could not delete it. Do i need to change the permission?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, I have a question guys. My phone is stuck in an eternal safe mode loop. Cannot get out. Don't have a functional pc ATM, so I can't restore. Downloaded something from Cydia that messed it all up... Deleted all recent extensions and apps/programs with no luck. I downloaded crash reporter from Cydia thinking it can tell me why my iPhone 4 is crashing. No luck, because I can't understand it. Can anyone help me? If so PLEASE PM me... Thanks in advance :[[[

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 143voltron View Post
    Are you going to use a script?
    I've also tried deleting one using ifile and it came back saying that I could not delete it. Do i need to change the permission?

Hmmm. Never heard of this. Interesting. Would this really help with the ram load though?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I installed "remove launchdaemons" from cydia and ran it through termina.. must say my i4 is noticably faster. just wondering if I ever decide to delete the package if it will enable the daemons as they were before or if i will have to completely restore???

Thanks

Has somebody taken there time on a 3g iso 4.1 and see what resources are there that is not needed to speed up the phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Has someone tried this tweak on an iPad with 4.2.1?

On my iPhone 4/4.2.1 it is working great.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Did u manually delete them or use an auto-removal tool? It'd be interesting to know which one does and doesn't work. I'm still on 3.1.2 (3G), 4.0.1 (3GS), 3.2.2 (iPad) & 4.1 (ip4) so I haven't tested 4.2.1 yet.
    I deleted them manually and tried to reboot the phone but it got stuck at the apple logo after 15 min it would restart and get stuck on the apple logo.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birke View Post
    Has someone tried this tweak on an iPad with 4.2.1?

On my iPhone 4/4.2.1 it is working great.
    What kind of improvement are you seeing on your iPhone 4? How much more memory do you have? Is it even more responsive?

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ririzarry View Post
    What kind of improvement are you seeing on your iPhone 4? How much more memory do you have? Is it even more responsive?

Thanks!
    On an ip4 it really doesn't make a difference....it's more for bragging rights than anything else!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grumpytreto View Post
    I deleted them manually and tried to reboot the phone but it got stuck at the apple logo after 15 min it would restart and get stuck on the apple logo.
    That's the problem with doing it manually. One small mistake and a Restore is in order. That's why I've chosen to do the auto tools from now on. These tools might miss a few updated files but I highly doubt deleting those are going to increase ur RAM by astronomical amounts!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi everyone. I'm on a 3GS with IOS4.1 & jailbroken. I am tempted to remove the launch daemons but would like to do more research first. One question i'd like to ask, would there be any dependencies amongst the daemons? What happens if I delete something in the safelist and yet it is required, can i simply re-up the daemon into the phone and things back to normal? Thanx in advance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tac603 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm on a 3GS with IOS4.1 & jailbroken. I am tempted to remove the launch daemons but would like to do more research first. One question i'd like to ask, would there be any dependencies amongst the daemons? What happens if I delete something in the safelist and yet it is required, can i simply re-up the daemon into the phone and things back to normal? Thanx in advance.

Before you start deleting or mod any files make sure you made a back up. that way you can just SSH back into your phone without having to fully restore it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello everybody!

It took a long time to read this thread but it was worth doing it.
    Thanks to everyone involved for sharing and testing!

On iPhone 3G 8Gb I've deleted all "safe-to-delete" daemons and SBS showed me some 5-10 megs more. Will try language packs now and see how it goes. I'm not sure that will increase the phone speed.

Also removed all stuff like "Winterboard" and "5 icons thing" and "reflective dock" and all that. Actually native icons look fine on the black background. Of course after getting an iPhone I was downloading and installing all sorts of sh*t but quickly realized it's all just a garbage especially as it uses precious RAM.

Not everyone seem to understand here how it all works, so I'll try to explain a bit. (Please don't think I'm showing off my knowledge. I'm trying to help those who need this info)

There is RAM and there is flash memory (Think of flash memory as of HDD. It is actually not of course but has the same purpose - it stores all data.. OS, apps, media, everything).

So deleting some daemons (or removing them from sturtup) will free some RAM as they are all loaded into RAM (don't forget to reboot after that). Also I'm sure that we can gain some RAM by removing autocorrection stuff as it might also reside on the background (to help you correct mistakes on the fly) (Anyone have instruction how to safely delete those?).
    But language packs should be stored in the flash memory (on the primary partition) wich is small but I don't think it hase anything to do with GUI and its speed and response.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My GUI is still laggy =(
    Last edited by nrvnm; 12-24-2010 at 06:39 AM.