+ Reply
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 26 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
just wanted to say thank you. This thread has restored the speed of my phone. I deleted only the "SAFE" plist files and resprung. Went from 30-35mb free at all
    Green Apple
    Thanks

just wanted to say thank you. This thread has restored the speed of my phone.

I deleted only the "SAFE" plist files and resprung. Went from 30-35mb free at all times to a pretty consistent 50mb free.

In addition, Cydia doesn't lock up/crash on me all the time anymore. It used to run at 9-10mb, now I run 20-21mb

The speed increase of the phone is amazing. this is truly something that should be done on all Jailbroke phones

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tylus For This Useful Post:

h4mid (03-22-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sull View Post
    I made a package that disables LaunchDaemons.

Repo = http://repo.insanelyiph0ne.com

Package name: Remove LaunchDaemons

All daemons are backed up and restored when the package is uninstalled!
    How come when I tried to add this repo in cydia, I am getting an error mesaage?
    Thx!

Thanks

Because in iph0ne it's a zero not an o

o0 see the difference

Thanks

Yes, I did try with zero, still getting error messages. May be it's my phone

Thanks

Hmm well it's live right now. Let me re type it maybe there is a mistake!

http://repo.insanelyiph0ne.com

Thanks

I'll try it later even when I copy/paste the repo address, I still get error MSG. I'll post ascreenshot when I get to my pc. Thx!

I tried one more time, I still got
    some gpg error MSG but this time it installed the repo Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by SPPassion; 03-26-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Don't copy and paste just type it in thr hand. Your probably spacing it out wrong when pasting...

Let me know.

Thanks

Even when I was typing the address instead of copy/paste, I was getting the error message as shown in the screen shot, then followed by few more "smaller" error messages.But it worked despite the error message. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons-error.jpg  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quick question regarding the insanelyiph0ne repo package RemoveLaunchDaemons, I successfully downloaded and installed it and immediately EVERYTHING was running so fast.

I have a 3G on 3.1.3 bb 4.26.08 using Ultrasn0w to unlock for TMo. Yeah I ended up having No Service or Searching all the time. And before I downloaded the package it was on full bars with E on. After installation all service and internet went kerplunk :P Basically I lost my unlock with this installed.

I have no problem with doing all of this manually which I am doing as of right now, I just wanted to know if anyone else got this and if it's a glitch maybe? Or was it just my phone...

*edit* once the package is removed I regain all service. I am doing this all manually I was just curious.

Green Apple
    Thanks

anyone see the text input files at /System/Library/TextInput ?

I popped into one (/System/Library/TextInput/TextInput_uk.bundle) and there's 2 files, one is 200+mb

There's gotta be about 30 language folders here. Any idea if they can be removed?

Thanks

Text input is safe to remove the ones you don't need. I keep en, es, and emoji.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Question does this really work?
    i have just done the whole daemon deletion thing for the third time now, first time it super-lagged my phone and i was forced to restore. second time my phone would constantly crash native apps but not 3rd party, and this time i have no lag or crashing but my phone IS NOT FASTER!!! my phone still only runs around 42mb on springboard and when i open an app drops to like 7mb. the only app that doesnt go under 10 is youtube which stays at like 12-13mb...
    i see this has worked for alot of people so i am not trying to be a troll and say this is a waste of time, but it really doesnt seem to work on my phone, sorry.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Another ''''safe'''' daemon to remove is :com.apple.mobile.obliteration.plist"

I've done some checking and found this daemon is associated with Settings/General/Passcode Lock/Erase Data and Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings-- not the iPhone password. It's true purpose is to 'wipe' the file system. I don't know about you, but we have been advised if a system wipe is needed do an iTunes/ restore (much faster and safer). The program was disassembled by cronicdev and discussed (Feb 4, 2010) below:

MobileObliterator - chronicdev - Notes on Mobile Oblitorator - Project Hosting on Google Code

I would appreciate (and advise) additional testing and confirmations

FYI: My testing confirms the iPhone password works as expected with no adverse effects.
    Last edited by Mes; 04-26-2010 at 07:07 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the update Mes. I added com.apple.mobile.obliteration.plist to my list of deleted daemons and alls running well here. However, I'm not ready to test erasing my content

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

2 questions from a n00b - should this be done on an iPod touch, and what are the benefits of jailbreaking my iPt, if it can be done. Many thanks!

Is it worthwhile to get a 3G iPhone to use on t-mobile? it would be a second line for me, and I would need the data service more than anything else, mostly for gaming. (I use a 3G Blackberry Bold as my regular phone)
    Last edited by Eris; 05-05-2010 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Theme Creator
    Thanks

i did this on my 3gs, along with delete all language packs apart from jap and english, and now i have a boot time of 23 seconds
    Remember your manners and hit thanks everytime I say something useful, helpful, useless or unhelpful

Check out my Piracy Sticky :- Click Here!

Z

iPhone 3GS w/ Launch Daemons and Language Packs removed. Boot time of 23 seconds (on average).

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

ok i deleted all the plist files in the first section and the phone is noticeably snappier thanks!

Available memory is now 156 MB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dear god... BAD! BAD modders! Don't delete the LaunchDaemon plists; there's a proper way to disable the things. In a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.Daemon.plist
    (the -w makes it permanent)

I have safely disabled BTServer (since I don't use BlueTooth) with this method. As always, ymmv.
    Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong. Upon reboot, this causes a huge delay for anything to do with the status bar, just as everyone else has previously observed. I'll look into it deeper.

And to restart one if you change your mind:
    Code:
    sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.Daemon.plist
    For a nice evening's read, you can open up Terminal.app on a Mac and type:
    Code:
    man launchctl
    Also, it might be fun to crack open those plists in Property List Editor.app on a Mac. Who knows what you might learn.

Deleting the plists is just insanity.

Edit:
    Oh, and there's likely no need to reboot with this method. I dunno for sure, though.
    Last edited by dobbs; 05-25-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Additional info

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Noob
    Hey all, I am a NOOB, as this will clearly show.

I have iFile on my iphone3G, and do not want to use the SSH because, well, I don`t have internet on my computer. Plus I don`t trust wireless.

Is there a wired way to do this? Like some kind of magical file viewer that I can just hook my iphone to the computer and whittle away at the files I don`t need? I am on Windows...big surprise there huh.

And where exactly do I go to ensure my permissions are set to 755???

I tried iFile but do not know how to download the entire daemon folder to my desktop....or check the magical permissions....or reupload the file if something does go terribly wrong.

I am clearly not native. I am sorry. Please help me?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Got a question:

those daemons are needed for crash reporter or syslog?

com.apple.ReportCrash.(Different Things).plist - There are 5 of these daemons, and they collect data about what caused a crash, what programs were running at the time, etc.
    com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist - Also deals with crashes.
    com.apple.aslmanager.plist - This daemon manages system logs.
    com.apple.syslogd.plist - Logs system events.

As I use that very often I would dare to keep them, if they are needed for that