+ Reply
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 25 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I had already entered your repo and saw the list. I was just wondering how it compares to the other one. Guess I'll find out!
    Thanks

I had already entered your repo and saw the
    list. I was just wondering how it compares to the other one. Guess I'll find out!

Thanks

Hmm I dunno, I put a lot of time into the scripts so enjoy
    No signature links... Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

^ effenpig!
    I use ifile to manage mine works great. Make a copy of launch daemon folder and add _MOD to the name. Delete the unwanted daemons and put this folder in same location as the original. Rename the original with _ORIGINAL at the end of the name and rename the mod folder by removing _mod. Now reboot and you'll be running the mod version. This let's you keep both versions in the same location just switch names to activate the right one. I do this to disable the USB launch daemon as well. You can't sync/iphonebrowser but you can ssh still as well as charge with ac and car chargers, and nobody can steal and crack my phone when it's time to sync I switch back to original and reboot.

IMO switching names is easier than installing/unistalling an app
    Last edited by davesnothere11; 03-13-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Uhh you just explained what everyone is already doing.... who cares if you remove them, rename, put them in a different folder....... it's all the same thing in the end. + It is way faster to use a Cydia package then rename 18 daemons....

Thanks

Well, thank you for making something that allows people like me( don't even know what ssh is) to do this.
    I had originally installed the repo for beyouriphone bit a warning came up saying they are suspected of stealing copyrighted info. Speed increasses were about the same for both, but every little bit helps on a 3g.

Now I'm wondering what the next step is to increase availabe memory. Should I dete more unnecessary daemons, or language packs, or carrier bundles. And can I do this safely with ifile.

Thanks

Your Welcome!

try this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6usrLQHiWw]YouTube - iPhone Speed up Tweak #2[/ame]

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

No sull I made a refrence to managing another launch daemon yours doesn't affect my post was in no way derogatory about your offering but was in response to "Effenpig! Posts: 297
    Can I just use ifile to go in and delete the selected daemons? I'm not to worried about it if I have to restore."

Also I don't have to rename 18 launch daemons merely the folder all the launch daemons are in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 935 Posts

When u use iFile to get into ur phone, that is SSHing into ur phone. Honestly, I don't know what the letters mean either but accessing the root folders of the iPhone is done by the process called SSH.

Thanks

@davesnothere11 no worries dude!

@thazsar

iFile is just a file browser on your iPhone/iPod Touch! SSH is where you connect to your iPhone/iPod Touch from your computer using terminal! Alternatively you you can use an SFTP program to do the same thing, but with this you get a nice GUI, essentially this is just a file browser, but your browsing from your computer!

No offence or anything I would learn a little more about what SSH'ing into your phone is and all the rest before attempting to delete/remove system LaunchDaemons....

Thanks

Ok. I think I'll stick with the mods made by your script for the daemons and not mess with them manually

How about deleting carrier bundles and language packs with ifile?

Just to give you an idea how much of a tard I am, I've had SBSettings for awhile now and I just now realized that you can press the free up memory button. I thought it was just a label for when you go in to manually stop processes. Lol

thanks again sull and everyone else who makes mods and tweaks!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    Ok. I think I'll stick with the mods made by your script for the daemons and not mess with them manually

How about deleting carrier bundles and language packs with ifile?

Just to give you an idea how much of a tard I am, I've had SBSettings for awhile now and I just now realized that you can press the free up memory button. I thought it was just a label for when you go in to manually stop processes. Lol

thanks again sull and everyone else who makes mods and tweaks!!
    Watch that video I just posted above, you can delete all languages except ones needed....

Very easy to use script! doing it manually takes way long!

Not sure about carrier bundles...

Thanks

Again, I'm a tard. By the time I typed my response to your post I already forgot about the video. Lol. I'm going to chalk it up to being sick.....

Got it! Definitely gave me a boost! Now I just have to change my root password. I downloaded your langpack and winscp, and put mobileterminAl back ony phone. Worked great! Thanks again Sull!

I feel like I've steeped it up now that I've figured out How to SSH into my phone. Now I know just enought to be dangerous !!!
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 03-13-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 935 Posts

@sull,
    I see....always learning something new!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not sure it's been mentioned, but my search query didn't show anything that would suggest it.

Removing com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessd.plist ("If removed, contacts will no longer sync via Exchange or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those services.") also affects synchronising the iPhone calendar with Google Calendar if you remove it. So maybe it should be mentioned on the first page. Something like

"If removed, contacts and calendars will no longer sync via Exchange or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those services."

for example.

Regards,
    Michael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtingstedt View Post
    I'm not sure it's been mentioned, but my search query didn't show anything that would suggest it.

Removing com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessd.plist ("If removed, contacts will no longer sync via Exchange or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those services.") also affects synchronising the iPhone calendar with Google Calendar if you remove it. So maybe it should be mentioned on the first page. Something like

"If removed, contacts and calendars will no longer sync via Exchange or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those services."

for example.

Regards,
    Michael
    It's kinda common sense that it stops all google and exchange sync.

Twitter: @tshoults

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    It's kinda common sense that it stops all google and exchange sync.
    How do you make it in to common sense? It specifically says synchronising contacts will stop working. ("If removed, contacts will no longer sync via..."). Notice that it says nothing about the calendar or even something general about services relying on Exchange or Google sync?

I noticed the problem when attempting to update my calendar and tracked the problem to that LaunchDaemon. I might not be the only one who removed it under the impression that only synchronising contacts would stop working as that is what the description says.

So no, I don't think it's "kinda common sense", though you might. Better safe than sorry, yeah?

My iPhone is a Part of Me s1l3nt's Avatar
    Thanks

what is the most free memory can u get for a 3g? because i did the language pack script and disable launchdaemons and when i go to sb settings and free memory i only get like 55 mb

Thanks

S1l3nt, you are probably pretty good with what you've done.

mtingstedt, what ever. For most that would be doing this process of deleting daemons know what they are doing enough to figure that it would stop the mail, calendar, and contacts from syncing with google.
    I'm not saying that it shouldn't be up there, but you should always research before taking one persons advice.

Thanks

My stat for my 3g(without winterboard or themes)

after the initial removal of Lang packs and daemons:

with nothing running and freeing up memory- 61 and settled back to about 55

with safari and mail- about 43

after a few days the numbers dropped to 55 after a free up

38 with mail and safari running

I'll definitely be looking for a 3 gs when/if there is a solid jailbreak released!!

Then it will actually make sense to have backgrounder!!
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 03-16-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Thanks so much-- I gained over 20 mb of RAM, and yes, the boot time is much faster, though the RAM is what I really wanted. This makes my old 2G really zippy! It had gotten kinda laggy.