+ Reply
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
let the memory go down then free memory using sbsettings.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks

SB Settings only frees my available memory, it doesn't change my memory on the "Storage" line in SB Settings.

Thanks

The storage line is how much disk space you have left on the root partition (/). The only thing that will really affect it is installing apps from Cydia and 200mb should be plenty. I ran mine for months with only 14mb. If you really want more, run this command in mobileterminal:
    mv /System/Library/Fonts /private/var/ && ln -s /private/var/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts

That will move fonts from your root partition to the /var partition and create links to their new location. It should free up about 100mb on root, but it will take up 100mb on /var.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

joemamawilder (12-24-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fubaya View Post
    The storage line is how much disk space you have left on the root partition (/). The only thing that will really affect it is installing apps from Cydia and 200mb should be plenty. I ran mine for months with only 14mb. If you really want more, run this command in mobileterminal:
    mv /System/Library/Fonts /private/var/ && ln -s /private/var/Fonts /System/Library/Fonts

That will move fonts from your root partition to the /var partition and create links to their new location. It should free up about 100mb on root, but it will take up 100mb on /var.
    Thank you much, that clears things up. I must have installed a few packages before noticing the slight decrease. Not gonna run that command right now, but will keep that in mind if i get really low. Thanks again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I tried this out. Removed the safe launch daemons manually. Rebooted and free memory in sbsettings and I was at 58mb when normally I was around 32-35mb. Well after a few days I'm basically running the same as before. Freeing memory in sbsettings only brings me to 38-42mb as opposed to the nice 58 or so when I first deleted those files. Why has it gone back to average?

I do have a few mobile substrate plugins running but why would everything work fine and have a lot of free memory then days later not be as good? Even after a respring or reboot AND sbsettings free memory I'm not seeing that 50-60mb like when I first did the hack

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi guys, just looking at doing this, but to be honest the original post is a bit beyond me and I wouldn't have a clue how to 'SSH' into my phone and as a result of that, would likely mess it up when trying to do so!

Is it worth me just grabbing the 'DisabledaemonsBYI' app as recommended above from Cydia and using that, along with SBSettings to free up memory?

I have a 3G at the moment and a small performance boost would be enough to save me spending a couple of hundred upgrading to a 3GS! :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone High_Voltage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdys_1991 View Post
    The script posted on that link which I posted on the first page DOES NOT WORK!
    It's WRONG, INCORRECT, NON-FUNCTIONAL!!!

Use this here:
    Backup (English and German)

Delete(Leave English and German)

Adjust as needed.
    There was one thing which was wrong with this script so I wasted like an hour or so finding out why it was not working for me. So I found the original post made by the original creator of this script and it worked.

Hope it helps.

Edit
    Btw, I didnt keep a backup. I just went straight on deleting the damn files. No Problems since one or two days (lol forgot already when I did this xD).
    I dont Get it where am i supposed to put it in the com.apple.itunesstored.plist file

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there any way you can attach LaunchDaemons that worked for you which I can just copy it via ifunbox and delete the original - mine is 3GS - 32GB 3.1.2 using Blacksn0w and SBSetting

Thanks

Just want to share some info about the daemon "com.apple.itunesstored.plist"
    by changing it as you said to, all it does is cause it to restart it's self every 14-18 seconds. I discovered this by using sysinfoplus. If you just leave it the way it is, it will stop it shortly after you close iTunes store or the app store. Just sharing my findings.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 01-06-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blizeHx View Post
    Is it worth me just grabbing the 'DisabledaemonsBYI' app as recommended above from Cydia and using that, along with SBSettings to free up memory?
    I haven't looked at that app in the past month but assuming it hasn't changed, it should be ok. It really isn't an app, per se. Apps come with an installation script which is executed by Cydia to move files around and that's all this one is; just an installation script. The script disables the same "safe daemons" listed on the first page of this thread. It moves them to a backup directory and if you uninstall it, it moves them back to their correct directory so they are active again. Pretty simple and safe.

Green Apple
    Thanks

^I am having trouble locating diasbledaemonsbyi on cydia. Is there a certain source I need to install.

Thanks

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    Just want to share some info about the daemon "com.apple.itunesstored.plist"
    by changing it as you said to, all it does is cause it to restart it's self every 14-18 seconds. I discovered this by using sysinfoplus. If you just leave it the way it is, it will stop it shortly after you close iTunes store or the app store. Just sharing my findings.

can someone confirm this?

Thanks

I just want to clairify that it only causes the daemon to keep relaunching and not the idevice. You can verify this your self if you just change the code get sysinfoplus, and then restart you iPhone, run iTunes store and then open sysinfo and tap processes. Just sharing what happend to me. It could be differant for someone else.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

can't find the "free ram" on cydia anymore... anyone else have it or know where it is?
    Don't forget to say THANKS!

J.D.

Thanks

I have read all the post and I'm a bit confused on what is the best way to delete the language and other unwanted files.
    Can someone help?

Thanks

If you are new to file mods, basically don't do it unless you are cool with restoring. I like using the script myself in "Putty" on windows. Log in as "root", default password is "alpine". type "cd /" then right click to paste the script that you copied, then simply hit the return or enter key. I'll find the script that worked for me and post it in a few minutes.

Originally Posted by peteo, all thanks go to him

Paste into putty without the quotation marks, "for file in `find . -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -not -iname "ja*.lproj" -exec echo {} ; | sed -e 's/.///'`; do rm -vr ./ ; done"

by doing this it will delete all language files other than Japanese and English in the whole iPhone/iPod. If you want to only run it for a certain app, type in that directory, i.e. var/applications/mobilesafari

[LIST] Language Packages to Delete on 3.0 :: Increased Performance Use this thread for reference.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 01-13-2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: posted script

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    I just want to clairify that it only causes the daemon to keep relaunching and not the idevice. You can verify this your self if you just change the code get sysinfoplus, and then restart you iPhone, run iTunes store and then open sysinfo and tap processes. Just sharing what happend to me. It could be differant for someone else.
    cannot confirm that, I was synch at 8 am this morning and on 11:30 the same morning the daemon was still running with about 10Mb of ram

I changed it on the iphone, respring and it was gone

So ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tosbsas View Post
    cannot confirm that, I was synch at 8 am this morning and on 11:30 the same morning the daemon was still running with about 10Mb of ram

I changed it on the iphone, respring and it was gone

So ...
    I don't get what you are saying. are you saying you synced the iphone and then at 11:30 the daemon was still running? I believe that the daemon starts only when you are using the itunes store or appstore then closes about 14 seconds afterward (think that it has to complete some sort of process). After moding the file like it said the daemon just kept restarting it's self about every ten seconds according to sysinfoplus. Did you restart the iphone after the mod?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

no at least here ist different

It was still running after the synch - the value for shutdown is "false"
    Yes I rebooted and the daemon is not running at all. Gonna check on and after next synch, so far I gained 10MB

UPDATE

After reboot you need to do a respring, than the bastard is gone

UPdate 2

Actually you need to open the file in any textviewer - just open it, and its gone. Dunno why
    Last edited by tosbsas; 01-16-2010 at 01:23 PM.