+ Reply
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
It sounds like you were in a different directory than where the file was located. If you put it in /var/mobile, mobileterminal should be there already once you start it.
    Thanks

It sounds like you were in a different directory than where the file was located. If you put it in /var/mobile, mobileterminal should be there already once you start it. If you put it somewhere else, you will need to go to that directory in terminal with the cd command. If it's in /var/mobile/some/folder type "cd /var/mobile/some/folder"

If it gives an error, it's not doing anything. When it runs, it lists all the languages and asks a couple times for confirmation before doing anything, so unless you say yes a couple times, it can't do any harm. It should work on 3.1.2 3gs as it only uses basic terminal commands that are about 20 years old and probably won't change anytime soon.

Copying the whole system probably wouldn't work because things are running and files are open. It might work if you could turn off the phone and access it like a hard drive, but I don't know if that's possible. It would probably screw things up after an upgrade as old files would be overwriting new files.

Thanks

Thanks for the answer that makes me feel alot morr confident about doing this. I thought i put it in /var/mobile but i guess not. ill try it again and see if it works. but what about converting the cydia .deb app files into ipas (can be done by downloading them via ssh then dragging into itunes) and then syncing. i know this would only be a temporary solution and wouldnt allow updates but would this allow you to backup data from cydia apps to itunes?

Edit: Its still showing the error even after i tried it again and i made sure it was in /var/mobile but it still says no such file or directory when i enter the command in mobile terminal
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 12-14-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks

Maybe someone else can chime in because I honestly have no clue. I only use iTunes for doing upgrades every few months.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Thanks for the answer that makes me feel alot morr confident about doing this. I thought i put it in /var/mobile but i guess not. ill try it again and see if it works. but what about converting the cydia .deb app files into ipas (can be done by downloading them via ssh then dragging into itunes) and then syncing. i know this would only be a temporary solution and wouldnt allow updates but would this allow you to backup data from cydia apps to itunes?

Edit: Its still showing the error even after i tried it again and i made sure it was in /var/mobile but it still says no such file or directory when i enter the command in mobile terminal
    I've confirmed the script runs fine on my 3GS. Here is how I did it:

1: download PSPad. This will be used to save the script

2: copy script from fubaya's site here (highlight and ctrl+c)

3: open PSPad and click "new file" , then select "UNIX Shell Script" (Very important)

4: paste the code

5: save as whatever file name you want. (speed.sh for this example) Note the ".sh" extension is automatically assigned.

6: Transfer file over to your /var/mobile using

7: open terminal. make sure you're logged in as root (type "su", then your SSH password, default is "alpine")

8: chmod 755 speed.sh && ./speed.sh (note that there is no space after the "/")

That should be it. Follow the onscreen instructions generously provided by fubaya.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to unsleepable For This Useful Post:

SnowLeo (12-15-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

what is the difference between this and the diasble daemons on cydia?
    thanks

Thanks

Thanks for the instructions unsleepable!

Quote Originally Posted by Backslash786 View Post
    what is the difference between this and the diasble daemons on cydia?
    thanks
    The "disable daemons" app disables 18 safe daemons as it is installed by Cydia. Then Cydia tells you to reboot and that's it. Everything is done automatically.

My script lists 31 safe and conditional daemons, one at a time, with their description and asks if you want to disable it or not.

It just depends on how you want to do it and if you want more control over which daemons to disable.

Green Apple
    Thanks

your script works on iTouch 1g.

attached is the "speed.sh" file just unzip and put in var/mobile :P
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by phatxskill; 12-15-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo :o

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phatxskill View Post
    your script works on iTouch 1g.

attached is the "speed.sh" file just unzip and put in var/mobile :P
    Thanks, but that's the one for removing language packs.

The two separate threads are confusing enough that I had to create two seperate bookmarks just to keep up with them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok flame me now cuz im a noob, but how do you set permissions? for when you said "and also be sure that the permissions of the LaunchDaemons folder are set to 755. Failure to ensure correct permissions will result in your device freezing at the Apple logo."

Thanks

I don't know about you guys but I installed the DisabledaemonsBYI package in Cydia from the beyouriphone source along with the previously install Free RAM package in Cydia from the VNMagic source. With these two combined, my iPhone gets a total of 85 MB(when free up memory is pressed with sbsettings) and when my iPhone is idling, its sit at 69-75 MB ALL DAY!

Seems like my results are better than all of you, if not then most. Just install the two packages I mentioned above. Hell of a lot better.
    iPhone 3G 3.1.2 Blackra1ned/Blacksn0wed

Screenshot:

I'll be updating my experience with the method above.
    Last edited by lll2for3lll; 12-16-2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lll2for3lll For This Useful Post:

iPhoneMadness (12-17-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Isn't free ram just a Virtual Memory mod? Those VM's are no good, Good luck with that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lll2for3lll View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I installed the DisabledaemonsBYI package in Cydia from the beyouriphone source along with the previously install Free RAM package in Cydia from the VNMagic source. With these two combined, my iPhone gets a total of 85 MB(when free up memory is pressed with sbsettings) and when my iPhone is idling, its sit at 69-75 MB ALL DAY!

Seems like my results are better than all of you, if not then most. Just install the two packages I mentioned above. Hell of a lot better.
    iPhone 3G 3.1.2 Blackra1ned/Blacksn0wed

Screenshot:

hm, my max free is usualy 60mb on my iTouch 1g, usualy idle around 50mb or so tried your method and im only getting 64mb idle now, but i guess its better than 50mb. another reason for the deletion of unused language packages also frees a little space up aswell.

:::EDIT:::
    rebooted im running 84mb idle now.
    with all addons turned off (winterbored, etc.) only running 60 mb idle hmm..
    Last edited by phatxskill; 12-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I manually deleted the deamons list and also did the language pack deletion with little to no effect (it seemed). It may have helped but the difference only a little noticeable. I still got really bad lag when mail and safari were running in the background and would drop down to about 7-8 MB.

I downloaded the files you mentioned above and I have noticed a big difference in how fast the phone is. The actual virtual memory (via SBSettings) is a bit higher too, but only by about 10MB. Now when I'm running safari/mail/multitasking, the phone only drops to about 14MB.

Although I'm quite happy with the outcome so the VM could say 1MB for all I care, as long as it keeps functioning as smooth as it is now. Thanks!

iPhone 2G - Tmobile
    Running 40MB Idle
    Winterboard
    Theme
    QuickSMS
    CategoriesSB
    "Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneMadness For This Useful Post:

lll2for3lll (12-17-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasa View Post
    Isn't free ram just a Virtual Memory mod? Those VM's are no good, Good luck with that.
    Worked for me. Please notice that if you only have the Virtual Memeory mod, you "will" get up to 85MB when you use "free up memory" via sbsetting. And yes, it "will" eventually drop to almost what it normally is because of the backgrounded daemons. "BUT" if you have the DisableDaemaonsBYI package, it will not drop because it gets rid of those useless backgrounded daemons.

Now if you have a lot of Mobile Substrate, then it will not be as effective for you as it was for me. You said to me "Good luck with that." Thanks. I'm enjoying my iPhone that is constantly in the 70MB 80MB range. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneMadness View Post
    I manually deleted the deamons list and also did the language pack deletion with little to no effect (it seemed). It may have helped but the difference only a little noticeable. I still got really bad lag when mail and safari were running in the background and would drop down to about 7-8 MB.

I downloaded the files you mentioned above and I have noticed a big difference in how fast the phone is. The actual virtual memory (via SBSettings) is a bit higher too, but only by about 10MB. Now when I'm running safari/mail/multitasking, the phone only drops to about 14MB.

Although I'm quite happy with the outcome so the VM could say 1MB for all I care, as long as it keeps functioning as smooth as it is now. Thanks!

iPhone 2G - Tmobile
    Running 40MB Idle
    Winterboard
    Theme
    QuickSMS
    CategoriesSB
    I almost did it manually but I didn't think it would be worth it after seeing the reviews. The two packages worked fine for me. But if you have backgrounder and use winter board themes, this will use memory as well and it might not work as well. When i download a winterboard theme, I go inside the theme folder and delete "all" of the UI images. And I never have themes installed that i don't use. Almost every thing (the few i do have) in winterboard has checks beside them. As for Backgrouder, just having it installed lags the iPhone something terrible. You'll notice the HomeButton lag after you install backgrounder. My advice is to keep the themes simple. I only use icons and user wallpaper. No system UI.
    Last edited by lll2for3lll; 12-17-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    and if this helps any, go into /private/var/stash/Wallpaper.(some numbers) and just delete the .png files and that may help with some speeds.

Thanks

Personally, I'm satisfied either way because all know that if we want iPhone jailbroken and or unlocked for customizing, to use with a different carrier, whatever the case may be, this is just one of the problems that we're just gonna have to deal with. You digg?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I almost did it manually but I didn't think it would be worth it after seeing the reviews. The two packages worked fine for me. But if you have backgrounder and use winter board themes, this will use memory as well and it might not work as well. When i download a winterboard theme, I go inside the theme folder and delete "all" of the UI images. And I never have themes installed that i don't use. Almost every thing (the few i do have) in winterboard has checks beside them. As for Backgrouder, just having it installed lags the iPhone something terrible. You'll notice the HomeButton lag after you install backgrounder. My advice is to keep the themes simple. I only use icons and user wallpaper. No system UI.
    I wish I could use backgrounder with multiflow, but I know on my phone, it would just kill it.

I'm pretty content with how it's running now. With SBSettings and a one page theme, I'm good.

"Thanks" button. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

well um i have ProSwitcher if you need it like multi flow without the massive lag..
    Everything you need to know about iPod touch.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_...edirected=true

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

^ hmmm my check that out, because as of now I'm sitting at 40MB with Safari and mail running. I have made no changes since downloading the packages from Cydia. Guess it needed a couple resprings to get it moving?

Whatever the case, my phone is movin' now.

Thanks

Default Memory
    After getting rid of un-needed launch daemons and the language packs, my 3GS is getting, on average, increased available ram so says SB Settings. Though after I did these mods, SB Settings now reports my max ram of 206, compared to it showing 212 before.

Any insight on why this is??

24. The Following User Says Thank You to joemamawilder For This Useful Post:

cammarratta (01-02-2010)