+ Reply
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Works good! Thanks!
    iPhone? More like MyPhone gastonm's Avatar
    Thanks

Works good! Thanks!
    JESUS CHRIST SAVES

Unlocked Tmobile

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can someone help? I did everything in the first post copied folder to my desktop deleted the ones that are safe copied it back to my phone (the permission is 755) and no matter what it gets stuck at the apple logo I did this over 4 times and dont know what im doing wrong I am following the instructions but no luck

My iPhone is a Part of Me ekidd's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrewQuinz View Post
    Can someone help? I did everything in the first post copied folder to my desktop deleted the ones that are safe copied it back to my phone (the permission is 755) and no matter what it gets stuck at the apple logo I did this over 4 times and dont know what im doing wrong I am following the instructions but no luck
    just copy the folder to your desktop for a backup just incase something goes wrong. then delete the files right off your phone. no need to delete files from the folder you copied to your desktop then ssh back into your phone again. so just delete the files straight from your phone, not from the folder your copied to your desktop.

iPhone? More like MyPhone DSG04lightning's Avatar
    Thanks

ok i have a few questions, when i free memory i get between 65-72mb free but then it tappers off to about mid 40's and then when i use applications it goes down to 28-29mb and freezes for like 3-5 minutes is this normal?

Thanks

I did this along with deleting the language files and I keep getting safe mode crashes. I restored the original daemons and no crashes. I only removed the safe ones from the first post. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mombopete View Post
    I did this along with deleting the language files and I keep getting safe mode crashes. I restored the original daemons and no crashes. I only removed the safe ones from the first post. Anyone else having this problem?
    I am getting the same exact porblems

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

There's a lot to do with all this. Seems a bit overwhelming... but thanks for the lists i'm going to try it soon. I must first make a backup!

iPhone? More like MyPhone LanCo Rider's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome! I removed all of the dameons from the first list because I'm a pussy and don't want to take a chance removing anything else that could mess up my phone.

It cleared up about 12 MB of ram. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DSG04lightning View Post
    ok i have a few questions, when i free memory i get between 65-72mb free but then it tappers off to about mid 40's and then when i use applications it goes down to 28-29mb and freezes for like 3-5 minutes is this normal?
    Do you have iPhoneVM installed?

Thanks

I worked on deleting the daemons very carefully, check and double check. I went through the whole file tree and deleted all the language packs except English-US. I also deleted the extra keyboard layouts that were not needed.
    Before I started on a 3GS 32gb, I was getting 151mb at idle. I have seen an increase.
    When I free up memory through sbSetting, it will jump up to 172 to 175mb and then settle down about 165 to 168mb!
    My n00b advice is to take your time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons-img_0210.png   Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons-img_0211.png  
    Last edited by gamejunkie13; 12-07-2009 at 12:43 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just did this on 3gs and there is no change in memory available :/

My iPhone is a Part of Me ekidd's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shakory View Post
    just did this on 3gs and there is no change in memory available :/
    Ditto. I noticed the memory increase on my 2g and 3g though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question help plz !!
    i cant see whatevers in the launchdaemons folder .. tried using ifunbox and diskaid and even when i copy it to the desktop it says "folder empty"

Thanks

I got bored and wrote a script that will walk people through disabling the "Safe", "Conditional" and "Jailbreak" daemons. It lists them one by one with jdys_1991's description and asks if you want to disable it and they are disabled by moving them to /var/mobile/LaunchDaemonsBackup. Don't know if anyone will find it useful, I was just bored. Heck, I copied half of it from my language pack script so I was bored and lazy. here ya go

(EDIT: I did some very minor editing to the script to clean up one command and change a couple words of text. It still functions exactly the same, it's just slightly cleaner.)
    Last edited by fubaya; 12-12-2009 at 12:14 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

gamejunkie13 (12-12-2009), geo411m (01-22-2010)

Thanks

What is the _ncurse folder for???
    It has 20+ copies of the same folder in a descending tree.
    Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected become the expected?

Green Apple
    Thanks

is there a way to exit safari when you close the app?

Thanks

Yes safariquiter in cydia from repo iphone il, no space between iphone and il, I use and its awesome stops safari upon exit.

Thanks

Seems to work fine and faster... BUT every time i use the free memory from sbsettings my phone resprings into safe mode!!

Quote Originally Posted by fubaya View Post
    I got bored and wrote a script that will walk people through disabling the "Safe", "Conditional" and "Jailbreak" daemons. It lists them one by one with jdys_1991's description and asks if you want to disable it and they are disabled by moving them to /var/mobile/LaunchDaemonsBackup. Don't know if anyone will find it useful, I was just bored. Heck, I copied half of it from my language pack script so I was bored and lazy. here ya go

(EDIT: I did some very minor editing to the script to clean up one command and change a couple words of text. It still functions exactly the same, it's just slightly cleaner.)
    How do i use the script??
    I tried using it by doing "send command" and pasting it into Cyberduck and i seems to be working but it doesnt do anything when i press enter?
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 12-14-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    How do i use the script??
    I tried using it by doing "send command" and pasting it into Cyberduck and i seems to be working but it doesnt do anything when i press enter?
    I'm sorry but I have no idea how to use it with Cyberduck. All I have is Linux and the only ssh program I've used is the command line. In general, you need to copy the text of the script, paste it into a file, put the file on the phone, make it executable and execute it.

You can do it all on the phone with iFile and MobileTerminal. Copy the text of the script, create a new file with iFile in /var/mobile/, let's call the file "ld.sh". Open it, paste the script, save. To make it executable and execute it, open MobileTerminal and type: chmod 755 ld.sh && ./ld.sh

I hope that helped instead of making it worse.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fubaya For This Useful Post:

SnowLeo (12-14-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fubaya View Post
    I'm sorry but I have no idea how to use it with Cyberduck. All I have is Linux and the only ssh program I've used is the command line. In general, you need to copy the text of the script, paste it into a file, put the file on the phone, make it executable and execute it.

You can do it all on the phone with iFile and MobileTerminal. Copy the text of the script, create a new file with iFile in /var/mobile/, let's call the file "ld.sh". Open it, paste the script, save. To make it executable and execute it, open MobileTerminal and type: chmod 755 ld.sh && ./ld.sh

I hope that helped instead of making it worse.
    Thanks so much I'm going to try the ifile method right now and report back if it works. God i hope it works. Can anyone confirm if this works on 3.1.2 3gs? And does this get rid of unnessisary language files 2?

Since you seem so knowledgable about this... I always wondered... Can you use ssh as a means to backup an entire iphone including prefrences and cydia apps... like can I just download the entire / to my computer and then if i ever brick my phone or have to update firmware can I just reupload the entire / backup file that I downloaded before restoring? Because if this is possible it would save everyone so much time when updating firmware. (Im guessing there will be certain files that will have to be kept in order to keep the new firmware if you were updating)

Edit: I added the file in ifile and pasted the script but when i went into terminal and typed: chmod 755 ld.sh && ./ld.sh it says "cannot access 'Id.sh' : No such file or directory" even though i did add the file. So i deleted the file in ifile just to be safe (but i wouldnt do anything if i had the file but didnt execute it anyways right?
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 12-14-2009 at 08:17 PM.