Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Recovering Lost/Deleted Data From An iPhone That Has Not Been Backed Up

yeah forgot to add the SSH thing at the end of the command.. But you got the idea, the original tutorial was msising bs=1M

Hello, first of all, thanks for the great guide. Second of all, i need help :-).

I'm a total newbie to this, but slowly learning. I somehow bricked my iphone and after days of reading and researching, to my surprise I managed to restore it, jail break it and unlock it again.
    At the moment i'm trying to recover at least some data with the help of this guide. Stupid girl never synced with itunes.
    Anyway, I installed WinSCP, dd, OpenSSH on iphone and terminal, and managed to ssh with my iphone, but when i type dd if= blah blah, I get "connection refused" error.

Can anyone help a very frustrated girl? :-)
    Last edited by Zuzizuz; 08-27-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

has anyone encountered where the image starts copying over and stops at 700 megs? I tried this method using ubuntu and have plenty of disk space so that is not the issue. I tried running the command from the phone as well as the desktop but cannot get past 700 megs.

thanks,

I guess be careful with dd command it can wipe your hard drive I believe

does any one know how to follow these steps in windows?

Is there anyway I'd be able to use irecovery for something similar? My phone is in dfu mode and I'd prefer not to restore just so I can do a data recovery of the drive.

Is there anyway I can backup files while my phone is stuck in dfu mode? or preform a nondestructive update instead of a full restore? I have pictures on my phone I can't risk losing if at all possible
    Last edited by zelll; 10-15-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by M Power View Post
    has anyone encountered where the image starts copying over and stops at 700 megs? I tried this method using ubuntu and have plenty of disk space so that is not the issue. I tried running the command from the phone as well as the desktop but cannot get past 700 megs.

thanks,
    Yes, the exact SAME problem happens to me as well. Everytime I try these steps, my iPhone restarts/reboots automatically once the file size image reaches ~700MB. I tried both methods from iPhone to MAC, and MAC to iPhone, but same problem happens. I also tried keeping the connection alive using PING and disabled the auto-lock on my iPhone, but no success.

Anyone else have this problem and if so, any steps as to what the solution may be?

a little help ???

I used the command
    "ssh user@iphone-ip dd if=/dev/rdisk0 bs=1M | dd of=iphone.img" from my mac and at about 748mb the iphone crashed and took a long time to reboot.

Was worried at first that I had done this the wrond direction and wrote over the phone with my mac drive info.

Also I have installed 'Automatic SSH' from cydia which is supposed to keep the SSH connection going. Could this be causing any problems??

Sad to say I"ve experienced the same issue as the last two posters. Hits 748 MB and reboots

I've gotten around the 748MB by specifying disk0s2 instead of disk0. At 1.2 GB right now.
    Last edited by mcmcghee; 11-09-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I believe the problem is when trying to dump the entire filesystem. It crashes @ 748 because of some problem once the it begins to try to dump the user files.

to remedy this I dumped System and UserData partitions separately.

Using the commands I found here:
    3GS 3.0 disk image dump failure leads to a brand-new iPhone user's tale of rage & woe

Just the system partition:
    ssh user@iphone-ip dd if=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=1M | dd of=iphone-root.img

Just the user data partition:
    ssh user@iphone-ip dd if=/dev/rdisk0s2s1 bs=1M | dd of=iphone-user.img

Very disappointed...photorec is unable to find anything before the restore. Any other suggestions on programs to recover with?

is there a reason why it doesn´t work on an iphone 3gs? because i tried it on my iphone 3gs and i always get
    dd: reading '/dev/disk0': Invalid argument

Quote Originally Posted by bingbang View Post
    I believe the problem is when trying to dump the entire filesystem. It crashes @ 748 because of some problem once the it begins to try to dump the user files.

to remedy this I dumped System and UserData partitions separately.

Using the commands I found here:
    3GS 3.0 disk image dump failure leads to a brand-new iPhone user's tale of rage & woe
    Thanks man! I tried the partitions separately and it worked...but I was unable to recover any of my photos/videos. The only files that were present were the current ones on my phone, but none before the restore occurred. I guess lesson learned to remember to BACKUP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moe_ View Post
    is there a reason why it doesn´t work on an iphone 3gs? because i tried it on my iphone 3gs and i always get
    It does work on the 3gs. I tried it and it works. Follow the instructions here - HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery
    Last edited by 808casher; 11-10-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I just installed DD.exe to the BIN. folder and then I proceeded with the transfer method and it seems to go through but I get this little ordeal...

[email protected]'s password:
    rawwrite dd for windows version 0.3.
    Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>
    This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details
    dd [bs=SIZE] [count=BLOCKS] [if=FILE] [of=FILE] [seek=BLOCKS] [skip=BLOCKS] [--l
    ist] [--progress]
    SIZE may have one of the following suffix:
    k = 1024
    M = 1048576
    G = 1073741824
    iPhone:~ root# dd if=/dev/disk0 | ssh [email protected] 'dd of=iphone.img'--
    localwrt
    [email protected]'s password:
    rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
    Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>
    This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details

What is going on? Do i need to enter something else??

Default Mount as a recoverable drive on ubuntu?
    Well I've extracted the .img file onto my desktop however when I mount it as a temprary drive photoRec can't find a recoverable drive. I'm running ubuntu aswell so I believe I need to mount it differently. Any advice?
    EDT: Nvm realised that you could directly tell photorec what to recover.
    Last edited by Rwcabrera; 12-13-2009 at 12:02 AM.

hey!!!
    my iphone sync my icalender with my itunes and only kept the past 30days erasing the rest!!!... it was kinda diary of mine, since I was travelling for a year, and i wrote were i was now i lost it!!! and the bookmarks are gone too... how come everything was replaced by a new computer?! without any information?!!!...
    is there any way to recover my life i mean the calendar and bookmarks that used to be in my iphone???
    thank you!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lightbulb Mac Guide
    Hi, i've posted a detailed Mac-specific guide:

Guide: Recover Lost or Deleted Photos/Files on iPhone 3G/S (Jailbroken) on a Mac

I was able to successfully recover images today from an iPhone 3G and 3GS. Hope this helps.

Default I am using windows...
    There's no terminal in winodws right? So what program do I use for windows?

Thanks!

Sorry to bother, but I am an idiot when it comes to what you are all talking about. I haven't synced my phone for over a year and then all of a sudden the quick voice app tried to load an update which prevented me from accessing my recordings. It stated that I needed to first connect to iTunes which I did and after following all of the prompts it has loaded a the new picture of the microphone in red rather than the old blue picture and all of my recordings are gone! I am freaking out and need some major help to try and recover one recording in particular that was 2.5 hours long. Is there anyone local in the SLC Utah area that might help me try to recover the lost data. I'll pay.

easy to deal with, plug your iphone onto a computer, to be as a usb disk, then you can use data recovery software to recover lost files

check the information here.
    Format recovery,recover data file from formatted hard disk drive partition,memory stick,sd card,usb,card

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast