Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to enable the numeric battery in firmware 3.0 for iPhone 3G

Thanks

Default How to enable the numeric battery in firmware 3.0 for iPhone 3G
    Enable Numeric Battery in firmware 3.0 Manually

Firmware 3.0 has a feature in it that allow you to enable/disable a numeric battery percentage on the status bar of the iPhone. Apple, decided to make this feature only available to the iPhone 3GS and not the 3G. Below is how to enable the numeric battery on the iPhone 3G and yes it works.

1. Connect to your iphone 3G using WinSCP (SSH)
    2. Before doing anything, backup the file called com.apple.springboard.plist located in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ and then copy it to your computer.
    3. Download pledit.zip that is attached and extract it to the same folder as your file called com.apple.springboard.plist
    4. Run Pledit.exe and open com.apple.springboard.plist
    5. Find the following:

Code:
        <key>SBReorderCount</key>
        <integer>2</integer>
    6. Add the following key under it

Code:
        <key>SBShowBatteryLevel</key>
        <true/>
      if it already exists, then change <false/> to </true>
    7. Save the file com.apple.springboard.plist in PLedit.exe and exit.
    8. Using WinSCP or SSH, copy com.apple.springboard.plist from your computer to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/ on your iPhone 3G and overwrite the original file.
    9. Execute the following command from WinSCP or from a SSH terminal window:
      Code:
      killall SpringBoard

That's it. You can't enable and disable the numeric battery indicator like you can on the the iPhone 3GS in the Settings->General->Usage menu, but it does displays a numeric battery indicator on the status bar of the iPhone 3G.

Note: If you don't want to go through this hassle, you can install SBSettings in Cydia and enable the numeric battery. SBSettings replaced BossPrefs. BossPrefs still installs in 3.0, but the numeric battery no longer works and it messes up the order of your application icons.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by reddawg; 06-27-2009 at 02:56 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

Kiserai (07-07-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I know an easier and faster way to enable that feature and even the switch in Settings->General->Usage
    Just add

Code:
            <key>gas-gauge-battery</key>
            <true/>

to M68AP.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giabar For This Useful Post:

Kiserai (07-07-2009), reddawg (06-27-2009)

Thanks

Giabar's mod allows you to enable or disable the numeric battery using the Settings-> General-> Usuage ->Battery Percentage [ON / OFF] menus on your iPhone 3G. Below are instructions that on how to do this:

How to Enable the Numeric Battery in firmware 3.0
    1. Connect to your iphone 3G using WinSCP (SSH)
    2. Before doing anything, backup the file called M68AP.plist located in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app.
    3. Using WinSCP (ssh), copy M68AP.plist to your computer.
    4. Download the PLIST editor in pledit.zip that is attached to my previous post and extract it to the same folder on your computer as your file called M68AP.plist
    5. Run Pledit.exe and open M68AP.plist
    6. Add the following key to under <key>capabilities</key>
      Code:
      <key>gas-gauge-battery</key>
      <true/>
    7. Save the file M68AP.plist in PLedit.exe and exit.
    8. Using WinSCP or SSH, copy M68AP.plist from your computer to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/ on your iPhone 3G and overwrite the original file.
    9. Execute the following command from WinSCP or from a SSH terminal window:
      Code:
      killall SpringBoard
    Last edited by reddawg; 06-27-2009 at 11:03 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

giabar (06-27-2009), Kiserai (07-07-2009), mbarvian (01-16-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol

Yeah, you can do this through Cydia without SSH. Download and install asBattery (only tested on the iPhone 3G). This also gives you the ON and OFF switch within Settings.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Thanks

AsBattery is definately much easier to install and works as you described, but I found that it seemed to drain my battery faster than it should. After uninstalling it and using the above mod, my battery isn't draining as fast.
    Last edited by reddawg; 06-28-2009 at 01:24 AM.

I can't find asbattery on cydia what source needs to be installed?

Thanks

Anyone know how to get old style display? Replace the whole battery with just number... 1~100. No % symbol. Touch to switch between battery and number.

Thanks

I did the % battery for my iphone 3g, and it works, however after doing this my phone seems to drain a lot quicker. Is anyone else noticing this, or is it only me?
    useful? hit the thanks button!

Quote Originally Posted by Kcolraw View Post
    Anyone know how to get old style display? Replace the whole battery with just number... 1~100. No % symbol. Touch to switch between battery and number.
    The battery doesn't seem to drain faster with the numeric battery. I +1 to Kcolraw. I HATE THE % symbol and the battery icon! So much space taken up just to tell me the battery status!!! I want the old style numeric battery back!! Anyone? Please?
    Use the "Thank you" option if someone helped you solve your problems!

Migrated from Windows Mobile to iPhone 3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    To remove % I think we should look at PNGs in system>library>coreservices>springboard.app
    Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to verify it by myself 'cause I cannot convert iPhone's PNG with my computer

Isn't it easier to just enable it through SBsettings?
    Housekeepin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver350Z View Post
    Isn't it easier to just enable it through SBsettings?
    definitely easier. Just a simple toggle in the Extra Options menu on SBSettings.

I am still looking for a way to either remove the battery icon or the "%" so i get the old clean look of numeric battery...
    Use the "Thank you" option if someone helped you solve your problems!

Migrated from Windows Mobile to iPhone 3G.

Default A step int he right direction...
    Hey all, like you I've been pissed that I can't have the battery OR the percentage.

I SSHed into /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app as per the suggestion of a previous poster. There I found numerous .png files which I wasn't able to view so I just started deleting them with a sort of educated randomness. I found that I could make the '%' symbol disappear if I deleted "Default_Percent_%.png" and "FSO_Percent_%.png".

At least it no longer has to take up as much space on the right hand side of the taskbar.

Hope that helps.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to twowaymonologue For This Useful Post:

giabar (07-10-2009)

None of these seem to work for me. On the lockscreen the numerical battery will display, but on any other screen regardless of whether or not I have an app open, I see the battery % draw but instantly get overwritten, and I can't figure out why.

Any help? I thought it may have something to do with the free memory display, but that didn't get me anywhere either.

Thumbs up Use gibars walkthrough
    Its so much easier. Except he didnt mention that you have to use a plist editor (which can be found on google), you have to add it under the <string>iPhone</string> thing, and also, you need to respring after, which, if you donīt have SBSettings, can be done by clicking and then undoing anything in winterboard. Then go to settings, general, usage, and turn it on. THANKS GIBAR.

Am I the only one who thinks the % icon actually looks badass? <.< >.>

Thanks

KillerChris1213, you are an idiot. Re-read the posts.
    Use gibars walkthrough, Its so much easier.
    It's not easier, it still requires you to copy the PLIST file to your computer, edit it using a PLIST editor and then recopy it back to your iPhone.

I do agree GiBars method was better because it allows you to enable or disable the numeric battery through the iPhone Settings -> General ->Usuage menus. No argument there, but easier nope.

Except he didnt mention that you have to use a plist editor (which can be found on google),
    Yes, I did, if you can read. In my first post in the thread, I included a PLIST editor attachment and instructions on how to use it.

5. Run Pledit.exe and open com.apple.springboard.plist
    6. Add the following key to under <key>capabilities</key>

<key>SBShowBatteryLevel</key>
    <true/>
    Pretty straight forward.

I posted instructions to Gibar's post because the location he specified for M68AP.plist file was wrong, it was not in /System/Library/CoreServices/. It was located in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app. He also did not specify where in M68AP.plist to add the <STRINGS>.

I attempted to make instructions for Gibar method of enabling the numeric battery easier so the average person could use it. I stole no credit from him
    Giabar's mod allows you to enable or disable the numeric battery using the Settings-> General-> Usuage ->Battery Percentage [ON / OFF] menus on your iPhone 3G. Below are instructions that on how to do this:
    I did not attach a PLIST editor in this post because I posted one in the very first post.

I did post instructions for re-springing which can be done using WinSCP terminal commands
    killall SpringBoard
    Giabar, this is not directed at you. I liked your method of enabling the numeric battery better than mine. It is directed at KillerChris1213 who after 2 posts either can not read or comprehend.

Modmyi is supposed to be a forum where others help others, not a place where idiots attack people's post, especially when they don't bother to read the entire post. Offer constructive critism or go somewhere else.
    Last edited by reddawg; 08-04-2009 at 01:11 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

reddawg when i open the app memoryinfo to check the battery percentage it is 3 precent off from the actual battery percent number

anyone else has this problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast