Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Help] Modify other.artwork in fw 3.0 without winterboard

Default [Help] Modify other.artwork in fw 3.0 without winterboard
    Hello,
    I'd like to remove the glossy overlay from the icons (see screenshot). I know I have to modify other.artwork png file. I have installed firmware 3.0: I could not find a way to extract pngs from other.artwork in order to modify them. Any help will be appreciated!
    Note: please, I want to achieve the result without winterboard.

Thanx in advance!

I am looking for this also. i have searched everywhere and cannot find an answer on this. If someone figures this out please post!

Editing iPhone artwork files - ModMyi - Wiki
    check that link....

I know it says up to 2.2 but it might still extract... can you report back?
    im still trying to figure out how to get that going in windows.

or look up an app called "iPhoneShop" from someone off planet-iphones
    Last edited by 0okami.digital; 06-29-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    ~0okami

I've tried that one and it doesn't work.

I've tried that one too .. doesn't work ;(

Quote Originally Posted by dalidah View Post
    I've tried that one too .. doesn't work ;(
    how did you remove the dock icon labels without winterboard?

yea i would love to know how you removed the icon labels from the dock ... im going crazy trying to do it lol thanks in advance .. peace

To remove dock labels you have to rename them as blank in the LocalizedApplicationNames.strings file located in System/library/coreservices/springboard.app/yourlanguage.lproj
    Obviously yourlanguage means english / spanish / italian / germa etc ..
    Last edited by dalidah; 07-05-2009 at 06:24 AM.

Hi dalidah!

i dont know if you find a way to decompress artwork files..
    but i just download form a post the iPhoneShop-1.3.jar that let me compress/decompress.

i you cant find it on the forum send me a pm.

I cant find the line to modify in LocalizedApplicationNames.strings
    i read somewhere that this value is in springboard.app/info.plist

"<key>DockedIconLabelStyle</key>
    <string>color: transparent</string>"

but doesn't work for me either
    Last edited by pablogiorgini; 07-06-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Maybe I'm no good at searching, but I can't find iPhoneShop-1.3 anywhere. Can you please post a link for us?

Edit: Just found it - http://www.modmyi.com/forums/skinnin...les-3-0-a.html
    Last edited by garbs; 07-07-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Thanx a lot! It works great .. now I have my customization winterboard-free

-_-
    Last edited by DataBeast; 07-30-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Hi every one!

can you please help me dalidah? i still can remove those dock icons labels.
    i didn't find anything on LocalizedApplicationNames.strings like you mention.

there's a lot in SpringBoard.strings but i don't know whick <key> u have to modify.

can you please post the text of the file that you mod?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dalidah View Post
    To remove dock labels you have to rename them as blank in the LocalizedApplicationNames.strings file located in System/library/coreservices/springboard.app/yourlanguage.lproj
    This worked for 4 out of my 5 dock applications. I found the springboard.app no problem, then the LocalizedApplicationNames.strings file. Converted it using the Terminal command "plutil -convert xml1 Localizable.strings", then removed all references to "Safari", "Text", "Phone", "Mail", and "iPod". For all but the iPod, the labels disappeared. I went into the info.app for Mediaplayer.app and took a look at the Localizable.strings there, too... but still no luck.

I'd really rather not do this with Winterboard - it sucks my battery too quickly. Any other suggestions? I tried BossPaper - but no luck there either.

Pulling my hair out here,

Chris

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wernerc For This Useful Post:

jet66 (12-03-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by wernerc View Post
    This worked for 4 out of my 5 dock applications. I found the springboard.app no problem, then the LocalizedApplicationNames.strings file. Converted it using the Terminal command "plutil -convert xml1 Localizable.strings", then removed all references to "Safari", "Text", "Phone", "Mail", and "iPod". For all but the iPod, the labels disappeared. I went into the info.app for Mediaplayer.app and took a look at the Localizable.strings there, too... but still no luck.

I'd really rather not do this with Winterboard - it sucks my battery too quickly. Any other suggestions? I tried BossPaper - but no luck there either.

Chris
    You have to go to info.plist and convert it to XML using the terminal command and you'll find UIRoleDisplay and <string>iPod</string>
    delete the iPod part and you have your dock.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsachar For This Useful Post:

jet66 (12-03-2009)

Hi wernerc !

whats wrong with bosspapaer?

that was my final solution! no more hacking files!
    just install boss paper, turn on the "no dockin labels" switch!
    ann voila!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pablogiorgini For This Useful Post:

wernerc (10-21-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by wernerc View Post

Chris
    Did you ever figure out a way to edit/remove all the labels without a program? I can get most of the labels removed by editing the individual Info.plist files, but there are a few that I am unable to remove. I would also like to not use winterboard. Please let me know if you have figured out a way. Thanks.

Default No luck...
    Whoa! I just saw the post from pablogiorgini about BossPaper - and it worked like a champ!

Thanks so much Pablo!

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by wernerc; 10-21-2009 at 01:59 PM.