+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What's the sound files directory on the iphone?

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My sound is waaay too low and I've tried to install volume booster, Iamp and other apps like that, but none of them work. My cousins iphone has a high
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default What's the sound files directory on the iphone?
    My sound is waaay too low and I've tried to install volume booster, Iamp and other apps like that, but none of them work. My cousins iphone has a high volume on his speaker (ringtones and other stuff like that), so I was thinking of taking the files from his phone and add them too mine...But I'm not sure which files it is! Could someone please tell me where the files are, and if it is smart to do what I plan to do? Thanks in advance everyone=)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,264 Posts

A: Not a good idea, I can pretty confidentely tell you this will not change anything on your phone.

However, what I did to help was create some custom sounds and edited them using a audio editor (Audiocity is a good one, and its free - google it), you can increase the decibel output and make the overall sound louder on the phone, not to much though or they start sounding bad.

I did this with my ringtones, email alerts, sms alerts and so forth. Here's the sound file directory:

/System/Library/Audio/UISounds

Oh, and one more thing. The system audio files in the Iphone are .caf format.

You wont find that format, however all you need to do is take your ringtone and save it as a mp3 file. Then, right-click on the file and just rename the entire file with the extension .caf

example:

You start with ringtone.mp3

change to ringtone.caf

thats it!
    Last edited by cpjr; 03-12-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I thought you had to convert to .aiff format before changing file extensions to .caf? Learn something new everyday. Also, make note of the file properties of the stock SMS tones, they are very picky to get working...

Reako

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

posting to an old thread!

i found this thread via google, and thought i'd contribute. i just did this (to replace my glass text-tone with the droid noise ) and audacity's default .aiff format works perfectly (after you change the extension to .caf, add it in, and reboot your device).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Mostly correct
    This quote below is correct although just make sure you change .mp3 to .aiff first the rename as .caf.

I did this to change the lame "New Email" tone. Works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    A: Not a good idea, I can pretty confidentely tell you this will not change anything on your phone.

However, what I did to help was create some custom sounds and edited them using a audio editor (Audiocity is a good one, and its free - google it), you can increase the decibel output and make the overall sound louder on the phone, not to much though or they start sounding bad.

I did this with my ringtones, email alerts, sms alerts and so forth. Here's the sound file directory:

/System/Library/Audio/UISounds

Oh, and one more thing. The system audio files in the Iphone are .caf format.

You wont find that format, however all you need to do is take your ringtone and save it as a mp3 file. Then, right-click on the file and just rename the entire file with the extension .caf

example:

You start with ringtone.mp3

change to ringtone.caf

thats it!