Page 1 of 50 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMS on iPhone 2g with OS 3.0

Default MMS on iPhone 2g with OS 3.0
    This thread is about enabling MMS on first-gen iPhones via Messages.app (not swirlymms).

Here is what i have so far:

I have enabled MMS settings in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network.

how? i modified M68AP.plist by adding a boolean item 'mms' and marking it true.

idk if it is simply just the form, or if it is functional. i have had people send me an MMS but none of them came through.

next up: getting the camera icon in Messages.app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to h.abdulhamid86 For This Useful Post:

Erro0o0or (07-26-2010)

keep up the good work i will be following this thread!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

interesting...please could you tell at what part you added, mms to, and I heard its possible to add video camera to this plist file also and you may get the "visual" (though not an ACTUAL video camera itself )

Did that hack also enable the MMS settings under:

Settings -> Messages?

My brother has the 3G running 3.0 and he has 2 extra options, MMS Messaging (On/Off) and Show Subject Field (On/Off).

EDIT - Also, I asked a friend to send me his M68AP.plist and his N82AP.plist file and they are both identical to the iPhone 2G files. As far as I can see there is no MMS option in the iPhone 3G M68AP.plist file, so I think we're looking in the wrong location.

The N82AP.plist file DOES include MMS under capabilities.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>capabilities</key>
    	<dict>
    		<key>delay-sleep-for-headset-click</key>
    		<false/>
    		<key>gps</key>
    		<true/>
    		<key>mms</key>
    		<true/>
    		<key>telephony-maximum-generation</key>
    		<real>3</real>
    	</dict>
    	<key>include</key>
    	<array>
    		<string>M68AP</string>
    	</array>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    However, this file is the exact same as the iPhone 2G as well.

I believe this is the proper file for some of the MMS settings we will need to change:

Code:
    		<dict>
    			<key>PostNotification</key>
    			<string>com.apple.MobileSMS.MMSEnabled.changed</string>
    			<key>cell</key>
    			<string>PSSwitchCell</string>
    			<key>default</key>
    			<true/>
    			<key>defaults</key>
    			<string>com.apple.MobileSMS</string>
    			<key>key</key>
    			<string>MMSEnabled</string>
    			<key>label</key>
    			<string>MMS_MESSAGING</string>
    		</dict>
    		<dict>
    			<key>cell</key>
    			<string>PSSwitchCell</string>
    			<key>default</key>
    			<false/>
    			<key>defaults</key>
    			<key>key</key>
    			<string>MMSShowSubject</string>
    			<key>label</key>
    			<string>SHOW_SUBJECT_FIELD</string>
    		</dict>
    		<dict>
    			<key>cell</key>
    			<string>PSGroupCell</string>
    			<key>id</key>
    			<string>MMS_EMAIL_GROUP</string>
    			<key>label</key>
    			<string>MMS_EMAIL</string>
    		</dict>
    		<dict>
    			<key>PostNotification</key>
    			<string>com.apple.MobileSMS.MMSEmailAddress.changed</string>
    			<key>cell</key>
    			<string>PSEditTextCell</string>
    			<key>defaults</key>
    			<key>id</key>
    			<string>MMS_EMAIL_CELL</string>
    			<key>isEmail</key>
    			<true/>
    			<key>key</key>
    			<string>MMSEmailAddress</string>
    			<key>placeholder</key>
    			<string>MMS_EMAIL_PLACEHOLDER</string>
    		</dict>
    This file is Messages.plist found under Applications/Preferences.app
    Last edited by Pyroteq; 06-21-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

no, it did not enable an MMS option under Settings > Messages.

and after a little tweaking, i did notice that the 3g and 2g files were identical. so it would seem that this may be the wrong direction after all.

i am really not noticing any differences in the 2g and 3g firmware at all actually. there are traces of mms in the 2g firmware aswell as the 3g. i am starting to believe that the 2g firmware IS actually capable of using mms via messages app. just have to figure out how....

but, if the 3g only needed the ipcc file to be modified...why doesn't this work with the 2g. ive copied the preferences app and the messages app from 3g to 2g OS, but i believe they are exactly the same, thus, it accomplished nothing...

update:

im going for the gusto. im copying the whole System directory from 3g to 2g. of course, that wont really narrow the solution down if it does in fact work, but hey, i hit a wall so im just going for it. =P

but, it will likely do nothing, or...it will brick my phone.
    Last edited by h.abdulhamid86; 06-21-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Dumb question, if I edit a .plist file and copy it to my iPhone, do I need to reset it for the changes to show?

Anyone that finds any hints at MMS in the iPhone 2G or 3G software, please give the filename and path of each file.
    Last edited by Pyroteq; 06-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroteq View Post
    Dumb question, if I edit a .plist file and copy it to my iPhone, do I need to reset it for the changes to show?

Anyone that finds any hints at MMS in the iPhone 2G or 3G software, please give the filename and path of each file.

i would reboot after any changes, but at the least, do a respring.

Quote Originally Posted by h.abdulhamid86 View Post
    i would reboot after any changes, but at the least, do a respring.
    Another retarded question. What's a respring?

LOL, sorry, I'm new to this iPhone hacking stuff.

I do however have a little bit of experience with lots of different programming languages, so I might be of some use =P

and after a little tweaking, i did notice that the 3g and 2g files were identical. so it would seem that this may be the wrong direction after all.

i am really not noticing any differences in the 2g and 3g firmware at all actually. there are traces of mms in the 2g firmware aswell as the 3g. i am starting to believe that the 2g firmware IS actually capable of using mms via messages app. just have to figure out how....

but, if the 3g only needed the ipcc file to be modified...why doesn't this work with the 2g. ive copied the preferences app and the messages app from 3g to 2g OS, but i believe they are exactly the same, thus, it accomplished nothing...

update:

im going for the gusto. im copying the whole System directory from 3g to 2g. of course, that wont really narrow the solution down if it does in fact work, but hey, i hit a wall so im just going for it. =P

Let me know how this goes.

There are lil' things that differ from the 3G to the 2G firmware. You also prob noticed that the 2G does not have carrier settings under General>Network.....

im trying to work on this to, theres a few small differences like said so im going to try to change them around till something comes up!

Hi,

I'm searching to enable mms to my iphone 2g too, so i'm very interested to this thread

Awesome!
    I would love if someone could find a way to enable MMS on the iPhone 2G.
    I'm keeping an eye on this thread!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

update:

any update on this...it would be great to know what happens (whether they are errors,etc.)

The reason the 3G doesn't have mms in it's M68AP.plist, is because the 3G checks N82AP.plist, which then includes M68AP.plist. Basically the 3G fuses the two plists toegether

Default The Truth Behind MMS on the Original iPhone
    Looks like a hardware issue:

The Truth Behind MMS on the Original iPhone

http://www.maclife.com/articl/news/t...riginal_iphone

As everyone has already stated, SwirlyMMS has proven that the 2g hardware is capable of sending MMS messages. I am very interested to hear if there is a way to configure the 2g iphone to use the built-in apple MMS code, or if there is a code change on an jailbroken device that could open up this functionality.

h.abdulhamid86 - Any news on the full system folder copy?

No way is it a hardware issue. Phones older than this have doe MMS. The link doesn't work but I was reading someone else saying the old iphones can't do the new MMS spec fully with thier hardware. Ok but anything else would just drop back to the older MMS spec and still work. If swirly can get it to work inside his app, we should be able to get it outside.

Quote Originally Posted by orlandson View Post
    Looks like a hardware issue:

The Truth Behind MMS on the Original iPhone

http://www.maclife.com/articl/news/t...riginal_iphone

Did you READ the article?

Here's an exerpt:
    "We decided to get to the root of the problem by calling up the makers of the chip--Infineon. We contacted an Infineon representative in Milpitas, CA to uncover the details. The gentleman that answered the phone kindly explained that there is no way the Infineon chip inside the original iPhone is incapable of receiving MMS since that function relies on software rather than hardware."

Clearly it is NOT a hardware issue.

"We contacted Apple for an official statement, the company reiterated what was told to us at the iPhone 3.0 event in March, "Now the hardware has changed enough between these two devices that not all the features will be available on the original iPhone. For instance, MMS and stereo Bluetooth will not be available on the original iPhone."

Apple's statement basically is saying, we're not going to give original iPhone users MMS, because we want you to buy the new model.

AND Swirly MMS works on 2G phones, thus obliterating any argument that it is a hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by flounderasu View Post
    Did you READ the article?

Here's an exerpt:
    "We decided to get to the root of the problem by calling up the makers of the chip--Infineon. We contacted an Infineon representative in Milpitas, CA to uncover the details. The gentleman that answered the phone kindly explained that there is no way the Infineon chip inside the original iPhone is incapable of receiving MMS since that function relies on software rather than hardware."

Clearly it is NOT a hardware issue.

"We contacted Apple for an official statement, the company reiterated what was told to us at the iPhone 3.0 event in March, "Now the hardware has changed enough between these two devices that not all the features will be available on the original iPhone. For instance, MMS and stereo Bluetooth will not be available on the original iPhone."

Apple's statement basically is saying, we're not going to give original iPhone users MMS, because we want you to buy the new model.

AND Swirly MMS works on 2G phones, thus obliterating any argument that it is a hardware issue.
    Well put!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kashvii For This Useful Post:

flounderasu (06-22-2009)

im at a dead end all im getting is blank white
    spots where other settings should go

Page 1 of 50 123 11 ... LastLast