Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: MMS on iPhone 2g with OS 3.0is a discussion within the
File Modsforums, a part of the
For people who require different APNs for their mobile data and their MMS, there may be a fix for you. I am on a Polish network which requires different APNs...
06-28-2009, 01:49 PM #361
For people who require different APNs for their mobile data and their MMS, there may be a fix for you. I am on a Polish network which requires different APNs and I am able to send MMS and browse the internet. This is what I did:
1. Install the Cydia package "ActivateMMS2G" and reboot
2. Go to help.BenM.at on your iPhone
3. Go to the second Mobileconfigs link, the one that allows you to create a custom Mobileconfig
4. Enter your MMS APN (i.e. mms.plusgsm.pl) for both of the APN fields (Mobile Internet and Visual Voicemail) and enable tether. My network requires no username or password, if yours does, you may need to enter those as well.
5. Press generate, install it, press OK, then reboot RIGHT AWAY. Do not check the settings!!!
6. Go to settings > General and scroll down to profile. If it says 2 (or more) profiles, delete/uninstall the one(s) that are not called "help.benm.at" (i.e. delete all but the one you just installed). If it only says help.benm.at, skip to step 8.
7. After deleting the other profiles, go back to help.BenM.at and repeat steps 3-5. The first time you try to install it, it may fail or hang while installing (it did for me anyway) if this happens, press the home button, then try again, it should work.
8. Once your iPhone has rebooted, go to Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network. Your MMS APN should be present in every APN field.
9. Fill in your MMSC and MMS Proxy. Once again, my network has no username or password, so I am not sure if you should add this here or during step 4... Experiment!!
10. Reboot your iPhone.
11. Open Messages and try to send an MMS. If it fails, check your settings are correct.
12. If it is successful, go back to Cellular Data Network and change your Cellular Data APN to the one appropriate for your network.
13. Test your data connection.
14. Re-Test your MMS.
This fixed it for me. It seems the MMS APN must be the one in the Mobileconfig file, or else it won't stick, whereas the Cellular Data APN can be anything. Let me know how it goes.
Last edited by craig_16; 06-29-2009 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Edited step 4 to include enabling tether
06-28-2009, 01:50 PM #362
Under settings-->General-->network, I have only the option for data roaming, VPN and wi-fi, nothing else...Am I doing something wrong??
Last edited by diggie2002; 06-28-2009 at 01:52 PM.Thank me if I helped you out!
06-28-2009, 01:51 PM #363
I've been sitting on this for a while trying different settings.
List of available UAProf profiles
Maybe some of you will have better luck. These URLs are supposed to go into the MMS UA Prof URL field.
I know the W800i profile worked fine with SwirlyMMS as did the N95.
I've also been toying with the max message size. I believe the most I've got out of it was 600kb (614400 in the settings pane).
However I'm pretty sure T-Mobile sets a 300kb (307200 in the settings pane) limit.
But since the pictures keep on coming in small, those limits don't seem to really apply (well they do since the pics are small).
So I'll be leaving mine at 307200 (bytes).
So how I think we may need to speak with T-Mobile or hack one of the plists.
Btw, there is no need to reboot or respring after making any changes to any of those settings (as far as I can tell).
06-28-2009, 01:51 PM #364
[quote=tekwiz;4614481The ipcc is a carrier settings file. It's supposed to put the settings in for you. [/QUOTE]
did you install that before you installed ActivateMMS2G or after?
[QUOTE=tekwiz;4614481If you have the settings in and they stick and it's still failing, try the alternate address for the proxy or MMSC...if that fails, AND you have MMS on your plan, then I'm stumped.[/quote]
After I've gotten an answer to these questions I'll try again, and report back. You never know the little things that matter...
Last edited by phreakwenci; 06-28-2009 at 01:55 PM.
06-28-2009, 01:53 PM #365
hey guys i tried both MMSC settings for t-mobile and they both have the same resolution, both work just as good
06-28-2009, 01:54 PM #366
06-28-2009, 01:54 PM #367
AFTER i done the instructions for Tmo do i need like Edge to recive MMS?or do i just need a MMS plan?
06-28-2009, 01:57 PM #368
06-28-2009, 02:01 PM #369
06-28-2009, 02:03 PM #370
06-28-2009, 02:04 PM #371
heres the user agent urls guys to get bigger picture messages
Here are the "User-Agent" and "Profile" strings used by a few current day devices ...
User-Agent:MOT-K1/08.22.07R MIB/BER2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 EGE/1.0
User-Agent: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100
User-Agent: NokiaN95/11.0.026; Series60/3.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
So how do you convince your mobile operator that your modem is some other type of device?
In a default configuration, NowSMS does not send either of these headers when connecting to an operator MMSC to send or receive MMS messages.
However, in the MMSC.INI file, under the [MMSC] header, you can add the following settings:
For example, to pretend that you're an N95:
HeaderUserAgent=NokiaN95/11.0.026; Series60/3.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
TAKEN FROM HERE - http://www.nowsms.com/discus/messages/485/21779.html
06-28-2009, 02:07 PM #372
The Following User Says Thank You to westc0ast For This Useful Post:
06-28-2009, 02:08 PM #373
This is awesome, thanks for the great work, everyone
I have a quick question: I'm not on T-Mo, as I'm in Chile (using Movistar, which is an official iPhone carrier). Do I have to do the Cellular Data Network reset steps as well while using this method? Because when I go to "Settings > General > Network > " I see no "Cellular Data Network" options. Only Data Roaming on-off switch, VPN and Wi-Fi.
Any help will be appreciated
Follow me on Twitter!
06-28-2009, 02:09 PM #374
The user agent url seems to do nothing......... i tried the Nokia N95 URL didnt help
06-28-2009, 02:10 PM #375
06-28-2009, 02:20 PM #376
MMS Proxy: 188.8.131.52:8080
MMS Max Message Size: 307200
MMS UA Prof URL: http://wap.sonyericsson.com/UAprof/K700iR201.xml
06-28-2009, 02:26 PM #377
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM #378
My MMS still takes about 5 full minutes to send, real quick to receive though. why!!!?? lol.
06-28-2009, 02:33 PM #379
Once again, has anyone managed to get mms working on at&t WITHOUT changing the imei number?
06-28-2009, 02:33 PM #380
i left the prof url blank, i noticed if you send to anyone but a iphone the resolution is perfectly clear, as soon as it hits a iphone it resizes it when it comes in