+ Reply
Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 12345 13 53 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Enable Video Recording on 2G/3G?

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
whats your idea?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

whats your idea?

Thanks

All the ppl posting in this thread that believe they will unlock video recording/editing...

I know anyone that goes against what your doing is considered a downer or whatever someone called someone...

The code in the 3GS firmware is looking for particular software.. sure but that software will be looking for hardware that does not exsist on the 3G... thus it will not happen... its like asking for GPS on a 1G iPhone.. it will not happen.. so if you were able to enable the blue dot in the 1G does not mean it will get GPS... same here... just because you have enabled the switch.. does not mean you will get video recording... the software will not support this hardware and the other way around...

Not being a downer.. just trying to save a lot of you time.. and effort... along side ppl that don't understand what is going on here.. and we are gonna have a 30 page thread with nothing achieved....

Any of you that feel like flaming or bashing go ahead... its just the truth wether you face it now or 2 months from now when you have gotten no where....

Lighter
    Last edited by lighter; 06-24-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    All the ppl posting in this thread that believe they will unlocking video recording/editing...

I know anyone that goes against what your doing is considered a downer or whatever someone called someone...

The code in the 3G's firmware is looking for particular hardware... hardware that does not exsist on the 3G... thus it will not happen... its like asking for GPS on a 1G iPhone.. it will not happen.. so if you were able to enable the blue dot in the 1G does not mean it will get GPS... same here... just because you have enabled the switch.. does not mean you will get video recording... the software will not support this hardware and the other way around...

Not being a downer.. just trying to save a lot of you time.. and effort... along side ppl that don't understand what is going on here.. and we are gonna have a 30 page thread with nothing achieved....

Any of you that feel like flaming or bashing go ahead... its just the truth wether you face it now or 2 months from now when you have gotten no where....

Lighter
    He's right.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zwaldowski View Post

EDIT: And, to the person who commented on Saurik saying Cycorder just takes pictures really fast: that's essentially all video cameras done on still cameras.
    Ya I know. The point is that without the hardware behind it, you most likely will never see video recording done with a higher framerate than Cycorder on a 2g. So it's a little like reinventing cycorder. Now I know it would still be awesome to have even that natively using the built in app and I'm all for it.

If you check the other thread here, you will see we are working on MMS on 2g if possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy159 View Post
    He's right.
    he's wrong.
    "the only constant is change."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rufio For This Useful Post:

mad102190 (07-23-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufio View Post
    he's wrong.
    Nah I stand corrected saying he's right. iPhone 2G/3G lack hardware to do video recording. The software was made only for that specific hardware. If you think he's wrong, prove it.

Thanks

Nah I stand corrected saying he's right. iPhone 2G/3G lack hardware to do video recording. The software was made only for that specific hardware. If you think he's wrong, prove it.
    lol be specific. Cycorder is proof the 2g can do video...just not that well.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tekwiz View Post
    lol be specific. Cycorder is proof the 2g can do video...just not that well.
    Sorry, what I ment to say was that the iPhone Video Recording software in the iPhone 3GS was coded only for the new camera. It will not work with the camera on the 2G/3G.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All the ppl posting in this thread that believe they will unlock video recording/editing...

The code in the 3GS firmware is looking for particular software.. sure but that software will be looking for hardware that does not exsist on the 3G... thus it will not happen... its like asking for GPS on a 1G iPhone.. it will not happen.. so if you were able to enable the blue dot in the 1G does not mean it will get GPS... same here... just because you have enabled the switch.. does not mean you will get video recording... the software will not support this hardware and the other way around...

Lighter
    take a look at my video and tell me why the apple put video encoders in firmware 3.0 of iPhone 2G (EDGE) ????? Think again!!! )
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_VlbCzm_y0]YouTube - Scoperta una nuova funzione sul iPhone EDGE nel Firmware 3.0[/ame]
    http://ispazio.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/img_0012.jpg

take a look at my video and tell me why the apple put video encoders in firmware 3.0 of iPhone 2G (EDGE) ?????
    YouTube - Scoperta una nuova funzione sul iPhone EDGE nel Firmware 3.0

Think again!!!
    Last edited by pagaman; 06-25-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pagaman For This Useful Post:

rufio (06-25-2009)

Thanks

owned

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pagaman View Post
    take a look at my video and tell me why the apple put video encoders in firmware 3.0 of iPhone 2G (EDGE) ????? Think again!!! )
    What he said! Cause like voicecontrols we didn't see nothing about it on the 3G firmware..
    s why would the devs let/put those video trimming capabillities on the 3G?
    correct me if im wrong.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

have you seen the video?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Lighter
    I really can't see where you're coming from here. If Cycorder can do it, then it can be done. Sure it won't function exactly the same way it does on the 3GS, but it will work. And in the end, it might even be better than Cycorder.

One thing is certain, it will NEVER work if you NEVER try !!

I for one, encourage the community to explore new ideas without all this negative interference. You've made you point, now leave it alone.
    Last edited by Mes; 06-25-2009 at 04:51 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

IvanPK (06-25-2009), rufio (06-25-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

The problem came up with someone trying to get the voice dialing working. Basicly the software is looking for specific hardware.

Lets use this example. Lets say you have a game that requires a Pentium CPU, but you have a 486.

The software might load, but when you try run it, its going to look for specific things the hardware can do. The software was designed to look for a specific CPU in this case. Its not a matter of it just running slower, its going to look for a CPU with a code of 1234 for example. If you try running it on a CPU with a code of 5678, its going to say wrong CPU.

Why can't the compass work on the 3G then also? Because it doesn't have the hardware.

Now, maybe is it possible to write something like a Mobilesubsrate plugin that lies to the OS and tells it "This is a CPU your looking for" Give it the ole Jedi mind trick. I think that would be worth taking a look at by someone who knows how to do it.

Apple, knows about jailbreaking, they are not going to make it that easy to enable it. They wrote the 3G S features to look for the 3G S hardware.
    Last edited by PhoneLine; 06-25-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks

cycorder is proof it can be done. enough said. i will continue working on it until i get it.
    "the only constant is change."

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pagaman View Post

take a look at my video and tell me why the apple put video encoders in firmware 3.0 of iPhone 2G (EDGE) ?????

Think again!!!
    Apple leaves things in all the time. What I'm saying is Apple has made the software to work only with the iPhone 3GS camera. There is no other way around it. Sure the software is there.. but it's looking for specific hardware. But if you want to waste your time, keep trying.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufio View Post
    cycorder is proof it can be done. enough said. i will continue working on it until i get it.
    Your missing the point though.

Cycorder proves that the 3G can record video. Yes.

But you want to use the app that was written for the 3G-S to record video on the 3G.

No one is saying that the 3G can't record video, we know it can. But its not going to be able to do it with the app that Apple developed unless the phone can be tricked into thinking its a 3G-S. When the code runs its asking the phone are you a 3G-S? If the phone says no....no workie!

But, good luck anyway. I think dedicating efforts into tricking it will yeild better results then playing with plists.
    Last edited by PhoneLine; 06-25-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks

I for one think it will work...alot of stuff that's meant to work on other hardware gets potted or emulated all the time...psx emulater from zttod is an example... Now we know it ain't gonna be in par with the 3Gs but to have it is an accomplishment

I meant ported above
    Last edited by z3r01; 06-25-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

rufio (06-25-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok everyone, this topic was created to figure out a way to enable video recording on 2g/3g, NOT to have a childish debate of "yes, you can!" "No you can't!!" This will achieve absolutly NOTHING!

We should be trying to actually to some research into this (as therealduckie, and others have done)

It seems to me, as others have said, that we can't simply change a few plist values to get the camera working. I took a look at the decrypted 3GS firmware and, although I'm not a hacker or anything special, I could tell that there are probably missing frameworks and etc that the camera might need to function. (only a guess, remember!)

sorry for the angry tone of this post, but all the bickering and whining was getting us no where.

(to decrypt the firmware, read this. If you don't understand it, you probably shouldn't be messing with it.

VFDecrypt Keys - The iPhone Wiki
    VFDecrypt Keys: 3.x - The iPhone Wiki

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by link2009 View Post
    Ok everyone, this topic was created to figure out a way to enable video recording on 2g/3g, NOT to have a childish debate of "yes, you can!" "No you can't!!" This will achieve absolutly NOTHING!

We should be trying to actually to some research into this (as therealduckie, and others have done)

It seems to me, as others have said, that we can't simply change a few plist values to get the camera working. I took a look at the decrypted 3GS firmware and, although I'm not a hacker or anything special, I could tell that there are probably missing frameworks and etc that the camera might need to function. (only a guess, remember!)

sorry for the angry tone of this post, but all the bickering and whining was getting us no where.

(to decrypt the firmware, read this. If you don't understand it, you probably shouldn't be messing with it.

VFDecrypt Keys - The iPhone Wiki
    VFDecrypt Keys: 3.x - The iPhone Wiki
    Why research? You can't even do it to begin with. Why bother?