Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any Way To Turn off Edge ATT?

iPhone? More like MyPhone krUnIzZlE3's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Any Way To Turn off Edge ATT?
    all of a sudden i have like 400KB's out of no where and i dont want the crap. if icant disable it, ima put it up & pack it back up. i cant afford no lil thing like that.. can anyone help me??

& dont give me dat De Edge link, it DONT work for me...

umm does the word "unlimited" not mean anything to you? you can use all the data you want with the iPhone
    Hit Thanks!

This was posted in a comment over at TUAW, and may work as well.

"It's actually quite easy to turn EDGE off. If you can get access to the files on your phone (through any of the GUI tools available, or via TextEdit on the iPhone), do the following:

1. Open /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist in your editor of choice.

2. Look for the string "apn". This will be followed by "wap.cingular".

3. Delete the "." in "wap.cingular".

4. Restart the phone.

5. When you try to connect via EDGE, it will fail.

6. To reinstate EDGE service, open the file again and insert the "." between "wap" and "cingular", then restart the phone.

I'm sure some enterprising person could write a native iPhone app to do this for you."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FrogsOblivious For This Useful Post:

skirmani (09-20-2007)

iPhone? More like MyPhone krUnIzZlE3's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uPhone559 View Post
    umm does the word "unlimited" not mean anything to you? you can use all the data you want with the iPhone

i have a UNLOCKED ATT iphone & i DONT pay an extra $20 to ATT. so quit talkin smack

& i will try to do that thing. thanx FrogsOblivious

well, i used iBrickr & i downloaded that prefrences file on my desktop & edited that "." out..after that.. i deleted that pref file from da iphone & uploaded hat edited one from my desktop..still nothing. the "E" is still on there at the top..

Edit, nvm. it had said "Could not activate Edge: you are not subscribed to edge" hell yes! thanx a bunch man. no more "De Edge " app. (it never worked for me )

For some reason, Edge came back...is it b/c/ i took out my Sim card & put someone elses in? den put mine back????
    Last edited by krUnIzZlE3; 09-18-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks man this really help me. 1st unlocked iPhone bill i got was 270.00 cuz of edge, KBs just kept pileing up even if your not using it..... and yea uPhone559 ur a retard. Stop posting dumb comments on the fourms

here is my 1-2 tapp solution so i can change it on the fly....
    if you have Tapp installed, you can drop this pretty lame file (.tapp) i use into /var/root. Then drop the 2 other files (preferences.on and preferences.off) into /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

The first tapp command will be to restore your AT&T EDGE APN settings. The second tapp command will be to disable your AT&T EDGE APN. And the third will reboot the iPhone (since i'm too lazy to hold sleep and then slide.)

So, after you got the files in place....

1. Launch Tapp, click Execute Mode
    2. Tap first cp line to restore edge (or) Tap second cp line to disable
    3. Tap reboot

--Works for me.

I also use this to change apn's for different carriers, since i am too a victim of the very elusive EDGE settings menu
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by amnesia; 09-25-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add note about Execute mode

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,227 Posts

Nice. And ya'll need to calm down in this thread. Proper English, a little more politeness, and a general infusion of good will to all would be helpful.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

umm guys this might sound really silly, but can't you just put a fake APN into the settings? Eg "bugger" into APN
    THis seems to work for me - my phone returns "could not activate EDGE".

Quote Originally Posted by fugly View Post
    umm guys this might sound really silly, but can't you just put a fake APN into the settings? Eg "bugger" into APN
    That's exactly what my tapp script does, but it lets you do it on the fly instead of having to ssh in every time you want to restore/disable.

Quote Originally Posted by fugly View Post
    Yes it works, but why won't the damn "E" go away?
    iPhone 8GB (updated to 1.1.1)
    Belgium // Proximus - Belgacom Mobile

Please use the thank button if a post or reply helped you.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

a file mod? cool and this is a nice one moved to file mods forum

Help us help you. Please respect our site by posting in the correct forums in the future.

can we dont delete the E ont he display because it always say "you cannot connect to Edge" yes i know it! The Phone shouldn´t even search for the Edge. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    here is my 1-2 tapp solution so i can change it on the fly....
    if you have Tapp installed, you can drop this pretty lame file (.tapp) i use into /var/root. Then drop the 2 other files (preferences.on and preferences.off) into /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

The first tapp command will be to restore your AT&T EDGE APN settings. The second tapp command will be to disable your AT&T EDGE APN. And the third will reboot the iPhone (since i'm too lazy to hold sleep and then slide.)

So, after you got the files in place....

1. Launch Tapp, click Execute Mode
    2. Tap first cp line to restore edge (or) Tap second cp line to disable
    3. Tap reboot

--Works for me.

I also use this to change apn's for different carriers, since i am too a victim of the very elusive EDGE settings menu
    I only seem to download the preference file, not the .tapp files

use the installer app to install "services" then you can turn off/on edge, bluetooth and wifi from your springboard

i dont knw if this happens to everybody, but if I use services, and I turn of the phone, it resets to being on. I want a more reliable solution. Tha was this previos method is interesting

Services resets when I access it, for whatever reason it turns bluetooth on. Apparently this is a problem in 1.1.1 I have about 50 mbs of data right now, thats 500 dollars. Someone give a good solution please, editing the preferences does NOT work with 1.1.1 it resets after the phone resets.

Quote Originally Posted by Adsum View Post
    use the installer app to install "services" then you can turn off/on edge, bluetooth and wifi from your springboard
    This is the must easiest way!

Thanks

sorry for "pushing" an older thread. but something strange happend, when i turned on my iphone again this morning. the Symbol "E" (EDGE) is displayed next to my Operator. I'm using a jailbreaked & unlocked iPhone 1.1.1 in switzerland. the strange issue in this way is, before i turned it of yesterday, and back on today. the "E" wasn't there. it never was there. and now, it's there for some strange reason. does anyone know why? or what causes that issue? i didn't change anything in the "E" settings. just when i got it, i changed the settings to some "asdfdfasdf" that it won't connect. even Services.app doesn't hide the "E" symbol.

cheers
    ubik

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If your phone is unlocked just download bossprefs or settings and turn edge off. DONE!
    And it doesn't reset to being on, at least not for me. the edge icon still shows up but the edge actually isn't active.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

call att and turn off edge. that's what i did. they say that it turns off your sms too, but that's not true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast