Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Removing "Native" apps from my iphone

Default Removing "Native" apps from my iphone
    is there a way to delete/remove the apps that came on the iphone? what i want to do is remove youtube, notes, stocks and maybe calculator. i will never use these and would rather have them just gone.

i have moded the phone to work without at&t, unlocked it and have installer on it. have pretty much all the programs i need to connect to my iphone, i had to use them to move the files over to unlock my phone.

just asking as i don't want to screw anything up. if anyone can tell me what i need to do to get rid of these apps i would appreciate it

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

i would think you can..i deleted most of my stock ringtones. If you have iBrickr..just direct to applications/ and click on the app folder that you want to delete..from there it will open up the folder with all the files in them..click on each of them and hit delete on ibrickr. And as for deleting the folder shell..go to MobileFinder, find it and delete...hmmmm..comes to think of it...you might even be able to delete the files via MobileFinder.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I would make a directory called BackupApps / Disabled Apps, etc.. something like that, and then move the apps into there.. Use putty to ssh into the phone, then:

cd ~
    mkdir BackupApps
    mv /Applications/[application name].app BackupApps/

this will move the app into another folder so it won't appear on the Springboard.

The advantage is that it doesn't get deleted. If you delete the app the only way you're gonna get it back is a restore or dl from here or something.

I agree with hilie's idea. Might as well just move it and not delete it, so you can get it back one day if you choose too.
    i LOVE apple.

Quote Originally Posted by guyverunit View Post
    is there a way to delete/remove the apps that came on the iphone? what i want to do is remove youtube, notes, stocks and maybe calculator. i will never use these and would rather have them just gone.

i have moded the phone to work without at&t, unlocked it and have installer on it. have pretty much all the programs i need to connect to my iphone, i had to use them to move the files over to unlock my phone.

just asking as i don't want to screw anything up. if anyone can tell me what i need to do to get rid of these apps i would appreciate it
    They don't take up that much space, why take a chance?
    If u simply don't want them to show up on ur home screen,
    try a "rBST", it will allow u to make them hidden.

because if u delete them and want them back later, u WILL have to restore, and the longer u wait the more painful the restore will be.
    Best Regards

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can also download that one rSBT app off of Installer.app ..

it will allow you to move apps into the "hidden" group via a user interface.

It's pretty easy to use, if you know how to change the order of your favorite contacts you can do this.

I have used this to hide the Stocks application.

Note the order of your apps now though if you have a lot of extras, coz it might change the order of your extra apps completely when you run it. It also is a bit buggy so while at first it might seem that the "Hidden" section only allows two icons (it will swap whatever you put in there with field test or whatever is at the top) don't despair..

slide it gently and slowly and let go a little bit after you get past the "hidden" seperator bar and let go, it should add it in there.

Just play with it. you'll get it eventually.