Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modding Without Winterboard

Question Modding Without Winterboard
    I'm planning on updating my phone to 2.2.1 because every app I use crashes all the time. I'm beyond frustrated with the performance of Winterboard. So I'm planning on not using Winterboard at all.

However I would like to keep my custom sliders and UI sounds.
    Does anyone know how I could do this? I.E. what folders I will have to mod keep the things I want without using winterboard. I hope this makes sense.

In other words, is there any way to replace the stock sliders and sounds without having to use winterboard at all? And if there is can you list the directories I will have to mod.

If possible I would like to keep it simple by taking the files I need from wherever Winterboard keeps them and replace the stock files with these. Please let me know what you guys think, or if it's even worth trying. I would like to do this possible today.

Thanks for all your help!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There are many posts all over MMI with directions to do this. A hint...download a theme, analyze what/where files are changed from the theme, and manually replace them. (Keep the originals for safety). The main thing that can't be changed without Winterboard is the backgroung. Almost everything else can. For basic sounds look at the UISounds folder, ringtones use iTunes or Library/Ringtones.

I basically want to keep the same sounds that are already my phone with winterboard. The Metal Gear Codec sounds. However I want to keep them without winterboard. I also want to keep my sliders.

I just need to know where this stuff is located and where it should be located once winterboard is removed.

I don't want a full theme. I searched and couldn't find my answer so I posted this.

I need the specific directories to drop both the UI sounds and the sliders.
    Last edited by illuminatty; 02-24-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

You can drop the UI sounds in: /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ <--here

and the sliders can be dropped:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/TelephonyUI.framework/<--here

Make sure they are name the same as the original and backup the originals just incase.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to THEdAY For This Useful Post:

illuminatty (02-24-2009)

Do you know where winterboard places the files that are on it right now?

What files are you talking about? and theming without winterboard is dangerous. be careful or youll end up having to restore again
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by illuminatty View Post
    Do you know where winterboard places the files that are on it right now?
    /Library/Themes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

illuminatty (02-24-2009)

Sweet! Everything worked!

Do you know where the custom Notes background and calculator are located and where I should place them?

This is awesome! I won't even need Winterboard at all after this! Thanks so much!!!!

Also the battery.

There should be some type of tutorial on this.
    Last edited by illuminatty; 02-24-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sweet! Everything worked!

Do you know where the custom Notes background and calculator are located and where I should place them?

This is awesome! I won't even need Winterboard at all after this! Thanks so much!!!!

Also the battery.

There should be some type of tutorial on this.
    If you talking about the icon for Notes and Calculater.....

/Applications/MobileNotes.app/icon.png
    /Applications/MobileCal.app/icon.png

No not the icons. I have a custom background image on my notes app. And I have a white calculator all from cydia.

I should of been more specific, sorry.

well for the calc it goes into calculator.app just make sure to make a backup

Also if I update my firmware will my modified UI Sounds and Sliders still be there or will I have to do this all again?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No not the icons. I have a custom background image on my notes app. And I have a white calculator all from cydia.

I should of been more specific, sorry.
    Not sure what .png is it. But here's how I find out. Download a winterboard theme which mods the image. Then look in /Applications/Theme for the newly installed theme and find out what it changes, then just do it manually with your custom image. Once you've figured out what/when/where you can then delete the theme. I use this trick all the time.

But where is the calculator one I need to move?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Also if I update my firmware will my modified UI Sounds and Sliders still be there or will I have to do this all again?
    Probably all gone after a FW update. I do almost everything manually as well. Every once in awhile something is restored, but not often.

Umm I kinda accidently deleted my calculator and money apps.... Can you reupload them for me??

I really just need the caluculator app

Someone please upload the original calculator app for me please!

Thanks I found it!

Well I had to completely restore my phone....
    Last edited by illuminatty; 02-25-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

...Well I had to completely restore my phone....
    Yep. Self-modding is dangerous. I've restored a couple of times myself. But that doesn't stop me. How else do I learn this gadget? and make it truely mine

Probably one day, I will put all my mods into a Winterboard theme and play it safe. But until then .......

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

illuminatty (02-25-2009)

Why use Winterboard when you can do it yourself, right? Thanks for all your help.

It kinda sucks that you have to do everything over again when you update...

Also what is the name of the sound it makes when you use the slider? I can't seem to replace it right
    Last edited by illuminatty; 02-25-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

lock and unlock (.cal) I think. I'm using the AOL welcome and good-bye sounds at the moment. But I'm sure to change it.

That's why sooo many use Winterboard. I wish someone would really do a quality profile on Winterboard. It's an awsome app but no doubt some options are more resource hungry than others. But few people really know the internals and the ones that do aren't telling.

Thanks

But where is the calculator one I need to move?
    All icons for an Apps are simply called "icon.png"

So for the calculator, it would be Calculator.app/icon.png
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast