+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
What are emoji? Emoji are the Japanese version of emoticons. They are the those little smiley faces that you can send via SMS. Here are some examples: Now, i know
    iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)
    What are emoji? Emoji are the Japanese version of emoticons. They are the those little smiley faces that you can send via SMS. Here are some examples:
    How to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-untitled-1.jpgHow to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-untitled-2.jpg

Now, i know that not all of you are fond of jailbreaking your iPhone. So here's a bit of modding you can do with enabling your emoji even with an un-jailbroken iPhone.

1. You need to get an app called frostyplace from the appstore. It cost $0.99, a small price to pay.
    How to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-img_0011.pngHow to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-img_0010.png
    2. Open frostplace and play around with it. Frostplace is an RSS reader so it would be a good idea to open those RSS. Make sure to play around with it for a couple of minutes and open the once that has the japanese characters.
    How to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-img_0004.png
    3. This will then enable a new toggle for your keyboard settings for emoji. Just enable it. In your iphone go to Settings>General>International>Keyboards>Japanese and turn on Emoji
    How to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-img_0005.png
    4. Open your SMS click on Name:  Untitled-3.jpg
Views: 2779
Size:  9.8 KB
    5. Enjoy your emoji
    How to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-img_0006.pngHow to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-img_0007.pngHow to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-img_0008.pngHow to enable Emoji without jailbreak (Guide)-img_0009.png
    6. Remember, dont forget to hit the "Thanks!" button below this post.

If it doesnt work the first time, go back to step 2 and play around with the RSS a couple more minutes for the toggle of the emoji to be active.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calingasan For This Useful Post:

sandymary (07-20-2009), yamamoto (01-29-2009)

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Do you need to be on 2.2 or can this be added to 2.1 ???

Thanks

Sorry, firmware version history states that emoji was introduced with version 2.2.
    I've tried this with versions 2.2.0 and it works, i then updated to to 2.2.1 and it still works horay.
    Last edited by calingasan; 01-28-2009 at 05:23 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mfleigle's Avatar
    Thanks

If you update to 2.2.1 it still works, but if you do either a fresh restore or wait to try it on 2.2.1 it doesnt work

Green Apple
    Thanks

What's so cool about these icons? I have them, but I don't know when I would ever use them.

Thanks

here is an example of how to use emoji.

"you don't like emoji "

this is just an example.
    Last edited by calingasan; 01-31-2009 at 03:58 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, but you can't use them in text messages can you? the only place I can think of using them is when you write something to yourself, such as in notes.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's soo cool, except that the only cool reason to have them would be to text them to others, but no one has support for them So this app = fail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt27272 View Post
    Yeah, but you can't use them in text messages can you? the only place I can think of using them is when you write something to yourself, such as in notes.
    You can use them on SMS to send to other people who has an iPhone. If you're in a tech savy community where all your friends owns an iphone, this would be well worth it. I have my wife, most of my friends owning an iphone, my folks, sister and brother in law so sending SMS to them with colorful icons is pretty amusing at times.

Are you sure you have emoji on? i dont think you even own an iphone.

With regards to support, all iphones from 2.2 can support emoji even if they dont have it enabled.
    Last edited by calingasan; 02-01-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calingasan View Post
    You can use them on SMS to send to other people who has an iPhone. If you're in a tech savy community where all your friends owns an iphone, this would be well worth it. I have my wife, most of my friends owning an iphone, my folks, sister and brother in law so sending SMS to them with colorful icons is pretty amusing at times.

Are you sure you have emoji on? i dont think you even own an iphone.

With regards to support, all iphones from 2.2 can support emoji even if they dont have it enabled.
    Wait, are you telling me you think I don't even own an iPhone? I'm confused as to why you would make that assumption.

Thanks

because you said you have iphone emoji enable and you dont know how to use it for sms. That was just funny to me since that's mostly where you use it. I mean, common dude, why would you use emoji on notes to yourself. I don't see you missing the fact that you can send it over sms if you do have an iphone and you have emoji enabled as you say they are.

Anyway, if you do have an iphone, im sorry for assuming and it is possible to use emoji over sms and other pips with iphone would be able to receive them.

Cheers mate!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really do have an iPhone, and I tried sending an emoji icon to my girlfriend on her verizon phone and it didn't work, that's why I was asking. Also, no one I know has an iPhone. And I did use them on notes once. I used the soccer ball when I made a list of the players on my team.

Thanks

^this wont be of much use to you then. it only works with other iphone users.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Better yet just get Touch dial Emoji from the app store its a lot easier

Thanks

its a bit more expensive though.

Thanks

Ok, so now that everybody knows how to enable them cute emojis, let's figure out a way to integrate them on our PCs - Windows or Mac. Except for a FireFox plug-in script which was supposed to display emojis whithin a page, I couldn't find anything.

If I am to copy&paste some smileys into - say - a Word document, they are shown as Chinese/Japanese characters and the font is "MingLiU_HKSCS". And that's the most I have.

If anyone knows a method for us to enjoy the emoji revolution on our computers, please share!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

someone knows how to add more custom icons with photoshop osea fact, the makeitmine because I have the keyboard and you put emoticons emoji the banner of the hour ... but that comes by default emoticons are not many like me but I will add more emoticons creating them, someone knows how to add those emoticons makeitmine please help ?????

hello friends I need your experience, good question is what would I do like to add more emoticons to makeitmine as those who come by default I do not like me like to know if there is any way to add more custom emoticons ..???
    Last edited by maribel barreto acosta 23; 08-12-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost