Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Shutter speed, Zoom & Light control?

Thanks
    Default Shutter speed, Zoom & Light control?
    I'm thinking the only real adjustment i would like to make now is Shutter speed, Zoom and Light controls for the camera. There has to be a way to do it, maybe involving the pinch adjustment. For day to day stuff the camera's good but at certain times it just plain sucks. I'll post some pictures that I took at the product release that turned out really bad.

I do realize that my lack of photography skills didn't help the matter, but, if I would have atleast had light control and zoom it would have been much better.
    Last edited by MSHax; 09-07-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: FINALLY got to my pc to upoad pix

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhone1118's Avatar
    Thanks

the zoom cant be helped
    the hardware only has the potential to take a certain quality picture and thats what it does
    it can however be zoomed using any photo editor but that will cause crappy resolution
    the light control could maybe be done with a software hack but im not sure, either way the easiest thing for now is again some photo editing
    lastly the shutter speed is what it is, just hold your phone steadier or rest it on something if your really desperate

but if your looking for really nice photographic effects for now i recommend a plain old digital camera
    I am the MacBook Pro

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Shutter speed is all controlled by software. This was Apple's first camera in a mobile device, so they just need to update the software. I'm sure it will be addressed in a future update.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Shutter speed is all controlled by software. This was Apple's first camera in a mobile device, so they just need to update the software. I'm sure it will be addressed in a future update.
    Yup, shutter speed is software, ive had quite a few moto phones that i adjusted the shutter speed with a mod, hopefully aplle will release an update for this, if not hopefully someone else will scipt a mod to do it
    Last edited by Whoismiked; 09-09-2007 at 10:37 AM.

How come no photobooth effects either?

soda

yeah, the camera makes me miss my blackjack, that thing had so many camera adjustments it could have been a real digital camera...photo resolution, zoom, lighting, effects, cropping, video camera, photo editing

shutter speed is so lame - needs to be half the time.

light control would be sick - zoom isn't really all that useful - someone will just make a better camera.app its all in a program (MobileSlideShow)

My old motorola V3 Razr has these options, along with taking videos, and the iphone doesn't! I can't believe this...

Thanks

Hey people!... All mobile cameras suck! I have 3.2 megpaixels Canon & it's not so good to. You can't do the normal photos with 2 Mpixels, & a very fair lens it has.

Default trick the camera
    i figured out that if you want a brighter exposure for the picture hold your finger over the camera so it adjusts to the low level light and as you press the camera shutter release button(to take a picture) slowly move your finger away from the lense. experiment with different speeds and different light settings.
    Last edited by sc0tr; 09-18-2007 at 02:23 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blacksailsmd View Post
    shutter speed is so lame - needs to be half the time.

light control would be sick - zoom isn't really all that useful - someone will just make a better camera.app its all in a program (MobileSlideShow)
    While I agree that shutter time is too slow, I think for right now it is the best balance of quality, because if shutter speed was cut in half so would be the quality of the photos unless you were in super bright light.

Without a flash, unfortunately it's the only way to go.

PF is right, basically everything except for zoom and focus can be done in software. Focus and zoom involve lenses inside the camera's main lens that rotate and move back and forth to zoom the picture in and out and also change the focal point.

As for as Photobooth effects go, well the iPhone may just not be able to handle it in real time and thus Apple decided to not use it. You know how anal about perfection Apple is, they wouldn't want to include the effects if it didn't have WYSIWYG real-time preview and apply instantly when the photo was taken. They prolly wouldn't stand for a "Processing..." screen that takes 20 seconds to complete (just speculation really..)
    Last edited by hillie; 09-21-2007 at 08:08 AM.

word to hillie - but yea, i have dormant Parkinson's and my hand shakes a lot.
    hence why i wanted a slower shutter, sometimes my shaking hand just makes me put the iphone down for a bit -_-