+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing text in apps?

is a discussion within the

File Mods

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Where do I go to change text in apps? Take mail for example... in the top bar the text Mailboxes appears and below it is a list of Inbox, Saved,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Changing text in apps?
    Where do I go to change text in apps? Take mail for example... in the top bar the text Mailboxes appears and below it is a list of Inbox, Saved, Sent Items, Spam, VOICEMAIL. How can I modify that text?

I looked in /Applications/MobileMail.app/English.lproj/Main.strings thinking that I could just modify the text there but when I open that file with Word Pad it isn't something I can understand.

Maybe it's someplace else but I can't find it. I also looked in the MobileMail.app for a font (I think they end in .ttf or something) to see if I could change the font of that text but I don't see a font either. Where is this stuff filed?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Use this site to convert the strings file to one your computer can read, THEN open it and edit.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

MotoGreg (09-06-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link.

I used that to open the Mail .strings file and found Mailboxes but not the others I mentioned. I changed Mailboxes to Greg's email but now how do I convert that back so I can put it back on the phone?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

No need! Just save and upload... the iPhone reads them in .bin or .xml format just fine.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I had to change the properties because it was a read only file. Once I did that I was able to save the file with changes. However... I changed the string that said Mailboxes (cap M) to Greg's email and when I restarted the phone it said MAILBOXES (all caps.) I tried changing it to a few other things, even just Greg for short all with the same results. I just put a copy of the original file back in and it went back to Mailboxes (cap M only) like it originally had.

Anyway, I give up on that!